Apparently He is color Blind - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Apparently He is color Blind

[Q]"We were ready from literally the time the storm blew through," American Red Cross president Marty Evans told Fox News Channel's Major Garrett last Thursday. "We were ready to go. We just were not given permission to go in."

"The state Homeland Security Department had requested — and continues to request — that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane," a statement on the Red Cross' website explains. "Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city."

"Acess [sic] to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders," the statement also notes.

Salvation Army Major George Hood told FNC's Garrett that his group was ready to help, too. "We were prepared," Hood said. "The intent and the will was definitely there."

The Red Cross's Evans added: "We understood that the thinking was that, if we were to come in, that, one, it would impede the evacuation. They were trying to get everybody out. And, secondly, that it could possibly suggest that it was going to be OK to stay."

So, while the Red Cross and Salvation Army were able and eager to deliver water, food, medicine, and other relief supplies to those suffering at the Superdome and convention center, Louisiana officials rebuffed them, for fear that hydrating and feeding these individuals would chill an already glacial evacuation while encouraging others to get cozy and settle in for the long haul. In short, Louisiana officials starved their citizens out of town.[/Q]

[Q]Early on, Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco should have requested federal troops to quell or at least deter the chaos in New Orleans as flood damage took its toll, looters stole electronic gear and luxury items as well as groceries, and rifle-wielding sociopaths fired on rescue boats and medical helicopters. Not until Thursday, September 1 did Blanco say, "I've actually asked for uniformed troops of any sort," either National Guard or active-duty GIs. The White House apparently hesitated, as federal troops are prohibited from conducting domestic policing under the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act.

"At a meeting on Air Force One outside Baton Rouge," the next day, "Mr. Bush offered her [Blanco] the full force of every federal relief agency including the military, he claims," the Times of London reports. "Fearful of losing control of the relief effort and of being blamed later for doing so, she asked for another 24 hours to think about it."[/Q]

[Q]"I need 500 buses, man," Mayor Nagin bellowed the evening of September 1 on local radio station WWL-AM. "We ain't talking about — you know, one of the briefings we had, they were talking about getting public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out here. I'm like, 'You got to be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans.'"

While Nagin awaited the relative comfort of Greyhound motor coaches, he could have filled at least 80 percent of his expressed transit needs simply by employing buses already in his control.

At least 146 municipal mass-transit buses, plus 255 school buses, could have been deployed to whisk car-less evacuees to Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Houston, or any number of places more appealing than the Superdome. Assuming a fairly comfortable 50 people each, these buses alone could have evacuated 20,050 New Orleanians per trip.[/Q]

http://www.nationalreview.com/murdoc...0509130839.asp

Old 09-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

lol...OMG....

Old 09-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Man, I wish they'd used those buses.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:06 PM

Taking your little National Review article for a swim, Dreadsox?

~U2Alabama
Old 09-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Tick Tock Tick Tock....

Yep...The Red Cross must be towing the party line too.

Along with the Salvation Army....
Old 09-14-2005, 07:32 AM   #6
Acrobat

I thought the problem with the buses, is that the Mayor had no authority over the drivers (who work for the school board) and most of the drivers had evacuated anyway.

Of course doesn't explain why they couldn't round up some other drivers, unless the buses belong to the school board as well and they were denying them access.

I think it's not the failure of the Mayor per se, but more the disaster plan which should clearly state the available resources and how to get them into play. Which is I suppose the Mayor responsibility ultimately.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:02 AM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by popshopper

I think it's not the failure of the Mayor per se, but more the disaster plan which should clearly state the available resources and how to get them into play. Which is I suppose the Mayor responsibility ultimately.
This is exactly the point I've been trying to make all along. Everyone dropped the ball on this city. Local government had no plan, Federal gov ignored warnings of the levees. They all dropped the ball prior to and post Katrina.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
lol...OMG....
so you were laughing because no one repiled as if this proves that Bush is "color blind"?..obviously the implication being that because this writer is African American and points out that the governor and mayor f'ed up royally (which no one is saying otherwise)

I'm not trying to be nasty, etc..I am just wondering. There are plenty of African Americans who feel otherwise obviously (the polls support that), and they also place blame on the mayor and the governor, not just on Bush
Old 09-14-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
Acrobat

Oh the other problem with Mayor not using the buses to evac people from NO is

where exactly was he going to evac them to??? You're talking around 100,000 people, there's no shelter or camps set up before the hurricane hit, were these people meant to shuttle about the country until the emergancy was over.

FEMA should have been all over this from the moment the state of emergancy was declared by the LO Governor and the President. They weren't. Local and State failures don't disguise that, FEMA own National Response Plan indicates that once the president calls a state of emergancy they step in, they didn't.

I'm british with a US wife, so I don't really take much to do with US politics but I also note that the Republicans aren't putting the same scrutiny on the republican governors of Mississipi and Alabama which suffered similar failures in disaster response. Indeed Mississipi may end up with more confirmed fatalities.

the NO disaster plan was to advise people to leave, and to get those who couldn't leave to the Superdome. Although this wasn't carried out particularly well, it was carried out a large degree. However, the Superdome was meant as a temporary shelter of last resort, and didn't have the food or water to last days. The plan I assume was to get the feds and the national guard in as soon as possible to evac the surviors to FEMA camps, but FEMA didn't seem to kick into action as they should've done after the Governor and the President declared a state of emergancy on the 28th. I think FEMA messed up, they weren't helped by inaction on a local or state level, but I believe that once the state of emergancy was called FEMA was placed in charge of the overall relief effort.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

where exactly was he going to evac them to??? You're talking around 100,000 people, there's no shelter or camps set up before the hurricane hit, were these people meant to shuttle about the country until the emergancy was over.

FEMA should have been all over this from the moment the state of emergancy was declared by the LO Governor and the President. They weren't. Local and State failures don't disguise that, FEMA own National Response Plan indicates that once the president calls a state of emergancy they step in, they didn't.

I'm british with a US wife, so I don't really take much to do with US politics but I also note that the Republicans aren't putting the same scrutiny on the republican governors of Mississipi and Alabama which suffered similar failures in disaster response. Indeed Mississipi may end up with more confirmed fatalities.

the NO disaster plan was to advise people to leave, and to get those who couldn't leave to the Superdome. Although this wasn't carried out particularly well, it was carried out a large degree. However, the Superdome was meant as a temporary shelter of last resort, and didn't have the food or water to last days. The plan I assume was to get the feds and the national guard in as soon as possible to evac the surviors to FEMA camps, but FEMA didn't seem to kick into action as they should've done after the Governor and the President declared a state of emergancy on the 28th. I think FEMA messed up, they weren't helped by inaction on a local or state level, but I believe that once the state of emergancy was called FEMA was placed in charge of the overall relief effort.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! stop making sense!

the picture of those buses is all some people have left to blame the locals.

point to the buses! point to the buses!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #11
Acrobat

And now the reason for Federal inaction becomes clear.

Heckofajob Brownie wasn't given authority to being to mess things up until 36 hours after Katrina hit..

http://www.realcities.com/multimedia...et_members.pdf

Considering the President and the governors of the affected states called a state of emergency on the 27th and 28th, waiting until the 30th to put an offical in charge is sleeping on the wheel. And I think Homeland Security was the one sleeping. Questions need to be asked of Chertoff, and indirectly of the President. What exactly was going on in the DHS.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:06 AM
Quote:

How about simply away from the storm? Do you expect the federal government to establish permanent refugee camps so we always have a destination in mind? Think through some of the critique before tossing it out there.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

How about simply away from the storm? Do you expect the federal government to establish permanent refugee camps so we always have a destination in mind? Think through some of the critique before tossing it out there.
The city disaster plan was for the superdome to be used as a shelter of last resort for people who couldn't evacuate. It was used.

You can't just evac people to nowhere, or did you want them dropped off in the middle of nowhere, with no food and no water...yeah that works, maybe they could just drive about until the storm had passed. 100,000 people in NO didn't have access to personal transport.

A. That's some amount of buses.
B. That's some amount of people to move to an unknown location.

think through some of you own critique before tossing it back at me, please.

A state of emergency was called before the storm hit, they all knew it was coming. It was hardly a surprise, the federal government is the only body with resources to create safe area. No-one is talking about permanent camps, but not having camps until 5 days after the disaster is a bit poor, wouldn't you say.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:06 AM
Check the news again. Within your 5 day window, people were moved to the Astrodome, among other facilities in Texas.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #15
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Check the news again. Within your 5 day window, people were moved to the Astrodome, among other facilities in Texas.
yes but these facilities were not available before, during or immediately after the storm or the flooding.

Where were the evacuees meant to go????

Btw the Astrodome barely made the 5 day window from the initial invokation of the Stafford act.