Apparently gay people are not allowed to be Irish either....Ughhhh! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:36 PM
Apparently gay people are not allowed to be Irish either....Ughhhh!

I am so sick of this!!! Comparing gays to the KKK and Neo Nazis???? Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Protesters joined bagpipers, marching bands and thousands of flag-waving spectators at the St. Patrick's Day parade Friday after the parade's chairman compared gay Irish-American activists to neo-Nazis, the Ku Klux Klan and prostitutes.

As huge, happy crowds lined the streets, the chairman, John Dunleavy, sidestepped questions about his remarks to The Irish Times.

"Today is St. Patrick's Day. We celebrate our faith and heritage, everything else is secondary," he said before the start of the Fifth Avenue parade.

Dunleavy set off a firestorm this week when he told the newspaper: "If an Israeli group wants to march in New York, do you allow Neo-Nazis into their parade? If African Americans are marching in Harlem, do they have to let the Ku Klux Klan into their parade?"

Referring to the Irish Lesbian and Gay Organization, Dunleavy said, "People have rights. If we let the ILGO in, is it the Irish Prostitute Association next?"

On Thursday, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who is gay, blasted Dunleavy for the comments. Quinn, who is Irish, declined to participate in the parade after organizers barred an Irish gay and lesbian group from marching under its own banner for a 16th straight year.

"I can't deny who I am on any given day," said Quinn, who was arrested in 1999 for protesting at an exclusionary parade in the Bronx.

Quinn said the city's Irish gays had long hoped to march with their own banner, like other groups, but were willing to walk with the City Council as a unified group. "There were moments where I was hopeful that we could have come to some agreement. But that didn't happen."

Dunleavy told The New York Times in Friday's editions that Quinn "is more than welcome to march as the leader of the City Council, but no buttons or decorations in any shape or form."

Police on scooters positioned themselves between the marchers and about a dozen gay-rights protesters, who chanted: "We can march in Dublin, we can march in Cork, why can't we march in New York?"

Also barred from the parade was the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform, which lobbies on behalf of undocumented Irish immigrants in the United States.

Efforts to let Irish gays march under their own banner date to 1991, when parade organizers first rejected an ILGO application. When 35 ILGO members marched with a Manhattan division of the Ancient Order of Hibernians and then-Mayor David Dinkins, they were sprayed with beer and insults. It was the group's last appearance in the parade, which draws up to 2 million spectators.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who was marching Friday, had urged the Hibernians to change their stance.

"I've always believed this is a city where all the parades should be open to everybody, and orientation, gender ... should not be the deciding thing," he said.

The mayor marched earlier this month in an inclusive St. Patrick's parade in Queens.

The city's main parade, with 150,000 marchers, is the nation's oldest and largest.

Scores of bagpipers, high school bands and Irish societies streamed past crowds waving Irish flags or wearing green hats, green carnations or green shamrocks painted on their faces.

Spectator Mary Sweeney, who moved to New York from Ireland 15 years ago with her two daughters, said, "I want them to grow up knowing their Irish heritage. Everyone wants to be Irish today."

Old 03-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:36 AM

Old 03-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
"We can march in Dublin, we can march in Cork, why can't we march in New York?"
This wouldn't be the first time some Irish-Americans took stances that shocked and disappointed people back "home." I read a very interesting book not long ago called How the Irish Became White, about Irish-Americans and race in the US...slavery had been illegal in Ireland for centuries, and many Irish visitors to the US in the pre-Civil-War area were repulsed to see how many Irish-Americans had come to support slavery.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 AM
How are gays like the KKK and Neo Nazis???
Old 03-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:36 PM
This is deplorable.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I read that in the paper this morning, that guy is one of the few people who could make me embarrassed to be Irish. Maybe one day he'll wake up and realize how sick and wrong he is, but I highly doubt it.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Brendan Fay
You know the song—`When Irish eyes are smiling, all the world seems bright and gay.....

Well, not on Fifth Avenue.
Bloody gays and their rapier wit
Old 03-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 05:36 PM
There has always been an issue between the New York parade and gays - I remember growing up back in Ireland and listening to the controversy. Unfortunately there are still some very very conservative Irish people around (mostly in Ireland) who really shouldnt be let near any public forum.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"I am so sick of this!!!"

Sick of what?

Free speech?

People expression their religious views?

What should we do?

Round them all up and send them to concentration camps?

I'm sick of intolrence.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

it's not so much that people should be denied the right to express their views...only that their views are disgusting and ugly and repulsive, and people have a right to express that.

where, pray tell, does the bible command that the gay and lesbian community shalt be forbidden from the st. paddy's day parade? give it a rest.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:13 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
"I am so sick of this!!!"

Sick of what?

Free speech?

People expression their religious views?

What should we do?

Round them all up and send them to concentration camps?

I'm sick of intolrence.
Not when your getting taxpayers money!

Have as many white only, hetero only, gay only, atheist only groups as you want if you are using member money, but when its taxpayer money it has to be inclusive and cannot sanction bigotry.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I always vote Libertarian here in the U.S.

So, I guess you guys have me in a twix on this point.

Or not!

Why is my tax money being used to fund a parade???
Old 03-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

it's good for the city?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
How are gays like the KKK and Neo Nazis???
That's what I'd like to know. Maybe I'm just being incredibly dense here, but I'm really not seeing a connection...
Old 03-20-2006, 11:34 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

Why is my tax money being used to fund a parade???
Maybe the same reason my insurance dollars are covering people who refuse to wear helmets and seatbelts...