Appalled by 51% of Americans - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 09:14 AM   #76
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
For the record, we didn't all vote for Bush. I didn't. I don't think 51% of my compatriots are idiots. I simply do not agree with them. It's not like I'm going to be arrested for illegal political activities, because I didn't commit them. I agree with many of the criticisms of Bush, but hey, I'm in the minority. To say that we don't deserve U2 is just not fair. I think U2 respect the rights and independence of their fans, and want us all to think for ourselves. At any rate, don't hold this against an entire country.

Old 11-03-2004, 09:15 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
but you're also really lame if you're going to leave for canada.
Reading that stuff here is just as scary to me as some of the stereotypes about Americans I read here. Thanks for lumping us all together in one neat pile Edit to add, I don't mean what I quoted you saying IWB, I meant the "leaving for Canada" stuff. I also meant that the people stereotyping were putting us together in one pile, not IWB. Ok, I'm confused now

It's sad really, but go to Canada if you wish. That just leaves more room for ugly Americans like me to wave the flag and kiss Bush's behind (cause even though I voted for Kerry, I guess I'll just be my ugly American self and tow the line), and to prepare to attack Canada or whoever else next

I guess it's easier to be defeatist and cynical than to hold out hope or work towards something better

Old 11-03-2004, 09:17 AM   #78
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

MadelnIris and U2_Guy - I deleted both of your comments because we are not going to go there. Take your beefs with each other elsewhere, ie email.

Last warning that if the personal attacks don't stop, this discussion will be closed.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:21 AM   #79
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

You know, I was going to try and be civil, but Mac, you need to shove it. You have no idea what Hawk and I went through on 9/11.
I do... and I voted for Bush.

And the people from Long Island, where it was a virtual tie between bush and kerry... they too, know what it was like. Same with the people from northern jersey, where bush won.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:25 AM   #80
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
We are not warmongers, but we are the most powerful nation in the world. The attacks required a shift in policy and we made that shift. We are going to be in Iraq and Afganistan for 20+ years trying to stabalize, and democracize the area.

This is what we voted for. This is who we are.

Mark
But didn't you vote for him because of his war record? How can that not be war mongering? We weren't supposed to be in Iraq and Afghanistan for 20+ years. And how are we going to be there that long without enough troops? Anyone feel a DRAFT in here.

In four years, we will not be the most powerful nation in the world. We will be a shell of our former selves, a nation stuck in the past while the European Union passes us by to become the next super power while we pay off the enormous debts we are generating.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:26 AM   #81
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
Face it:

You guys think you know Bush, but you don't know him as well as we (the americans) do.

We voted for him because our values align with his.

It's that simple.

He is not a bigot, we are not bigots.
He kicked some ass when we were attacked, and we liked it.
We voted him back in because we like him.

We are not warmongers, but we are the most powerful nation in the world. The attacks required a shift in policy and we made that shift. We are going to be in Iraq and Afganistan for 20+ years trying to stabalize, and democracize the area.

This is what we voted for. This is who we are.

Mark
Well said, well said... I say well said!!!

People are just throwing around the word bigot because they think it has some sort of an effect on us, like we are going to flinch. We won't, cause we know its not ture.

Some of the most tolerant people I know are Bush supporters, which is far more than I can say for those that didn't support him. The majority of comments I have read here today only confirm that.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:27 AM   #82
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

I do... and I voted for Bush.

And the people from Long Island, where it was a virtual tie between bush and kerry... they too, know what it was like. Same with the people from northern jersey, where bush won.
But what about Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens? How did Kerry win those three boroughs with at least 70% of the vote in each? And really headache, when was the last time you at the Trade Center site? When was the last time you rode the subway into Lower Manhattan on a weekday and walked around?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:27 AM   #83
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Quote:

But didn't you vote for him because of his war record? How can that not be war mongering? We weren't supposed to be in Iraq and Afghanistan for 20+ years. And how are we going to be there that long without enough troops? Anyone feel a DRAFT in here.

In four years, we will not be the most powerful nation in the world. We will be a shell of our former selves, a nation stuck in the past while the European Union passes us by to become the next super power while we pay off the enormous debts we are generating.
I don't have that cynical of a view.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #84
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by thacraic

People are just throwing around the word bigot because they think it has some sort of an effect on us, like we are going to flinch. We won't, cause we know its not ture.

Some of the most tolerant people I know are Bush supporters, which is far more than I can say for those that didn't support him. The majority of comments I have read here today only confirm that.
Then how come anti-gay legislation passed in states that 90% of the time went to Bush? Doesn't that embarass you?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #85
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by thacraic

I agree with you that the most tolerant people I know are Bush supporters...and as far as I'm concerned, though I didn't vote for Bush I'm glad he won, and I like Bush. I think he's a nice guy. A great guy.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #86
War Child

Just for the record--I'm not "appalled" by the 48% that voted for Kerry--I just don't agree with them.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #87
Acrobat

Quote:

Then how come anti-gay legislation passed in states that 90% of the time went to Bush? Doesn't that embarass you?
That's not intolerance.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:31 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:56 PM
Quote:

I believe it does not embarrass them.

It is a wedge issue that wins elections.

All the crap about values -

Is just code.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #89
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I believe it does not embarrass them.

It is a wedge issue that wins elections.

All the crap about values -

Is just code.
It does = values to them...just not yours. We'll leave God to decide whose values are accurate. I know what I believe.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:37 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller

We'll leave God to decide whose values are accurate. I know what I believe.