Appalled by 51% of Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UnforgettableLemon said:

No, I was referring to specific posters, but even that is risky business. I hate FYM. I hate the person I become when discussing politics. I want to be a hermit.

ok...:)

I agree with you...I never usually hang here..

and btw this place is scary because of the posters lack of smilies, which makes it all a guessing game...:)

PennyPyro said:
Plus, i thought they did get funding for AIDS from Bush, i dont know, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

No where near the amount promised. Besides you can waste time just throwing pennies at them, it's not going to help. The Bush administration and Big Pharm are blocking the distribution of generic anti-retroviral drugs that could help prevent the transmission of the virus from mother to child. In addition the issue of education and debt reconciliation need to be addressed properly as well.

macphisto23 said:

no he doesnt, when you write something like this

"May God help us all. The 51% of Americans who voted for W will live to regret their decision. And people like me, who live in NYC, will be the ones who pay for their ignorance."

he's calling all Bush voters ignorant, and he is assuming for some stupid reason that NY is going to get hit first with some attack, I love the attitude of americans, it sucks, listen to yourselves.

You know, I was going to try and be civil, but Mac, you need to shove it. You have no idea what Hawk and I went through on 9/11. You have no idea what it is like for me to kiss him goodbye as he goes to work every morning and not knowing if he's going to make it there ok. You have no idea what it will be like for me to walk by the Trade Center site today knowing that I failed the 3000 people that died there that day. I failed in defeating a man who took advantage of their deaths for his own political gain.

And yes, we can assume NYC will be hit again. The subways are still full of cops. The National Guard still patrols Grand Central. I still have to walk by many concrete barriers set up around buildings in Lower Manhattan to protect them from terrorists. We've been at a Orange Alert level since they instituted that stupid system. So with all due respect, you have no idea what it is like to live in this city everyday knowing bin Laden is out there and you have no idea what's it's like to wake up this morning in this city knowing that your fellow Americans have abandoned you.

I know many people feel the need to vent about this, but I'm seeing a few comments bordering on personal attacks. Let's all practice the phrase, "I respectfully disagree" - or else the only place you'll have to vent is your respective journals.

:sigh:

I voted for him. Were you one of the teenagers who voted for him because your favorite punk band told you to?

Yeah, all Bush fans are ignorant.

macphisto23 said:

no he doesnt, when you write something like this

"May God help us all. The 51% of Americans who voted for W will live to regret their decision. And people like me, who live in NYC, will be the ones who pay for their ignorance."

he's calling all Bush voters ignorant, and he is assuming for some stupid reason that NY is going to get hit first with some attack, I love the attitude of americans, it sucks, listen to yourselves.

Where are you from mac? I am from NYC, which actually DOES get hit with these types of attacks. Has your neck of the woods been attacked by al-Qaeda? If not, then you have no idea what it's like to live in a constant state of elevated terror alert. For most of America, the terror alert means they show you an Orange color on TV. OOOOHHH!!! WOOOOW!!

For people in NYC, it means walking past soldiers with machine guns on your way to work. See the difference?

Here's a dollar - buy a clue.

AJ

You have a wanker for a President, and the majority of your voting population are bigots. You don't deserve U2. I know they won't call off the tour, but this will never stop me wishing that they did.

Sir, or miss, you really need to take the edge off your words. We all know that the rest of the world wanted Kerry to win, I think that was pretty obvious. Also, as much as many of us would like to, we don't have control over how people vote. We can try to influence their decisions, but it's their choice. I don't like the fact that an amendment to restrict marriage in an extreme manner passed in my state. I'm pissed, quite frankly. As much as I don't want to, I can understand why people voted for it (they didn't really know what it was about, or they truly did want it.) The same goes for the President. I can understand why people voted for him. 1) They don't want to "change horses midstream", 2) they like his ideals, or 3) they don't like the fact that Kerry flip-flopped his way through the campaign. For your information, sir/miss, it pains me to see Bush in there for another four years. And, quite frankly, I would have been queasy about Kerry because he flip-flopped so much.

In my opinion, it's fine if you express your anger about the election results. I know many individuals who are doing that today. But sir/miss, saying that people "don't deserve U2" is downright childish. Equally as childish is to blame those who voted against Bush for the personal choices of those who support the man. I hope that the next time you decide to rant, you reconsider what you've written before you post it on the board.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
I voted for him. Were you one of the teenagers who voted for him because your favorite punk band told you to?

hahaha :up:

i don't support the guy in office, but i support that comment. i find it funny that i come in here to read something, and end up disagreeing with the people who i'm supposedly agreeing with politically.

lame-ass green day anti-flag fan fucktards.

whoo.

i feel better now.

seriously, it's people like those kids, and the guy who started this thread that make me wish i could in good conscience vote bush. i'm sick of being associated with idiots who can't think for themselves.

i don't think bush has done anything to make the US a great place over the last 4 years, and the way i see it, things can only get worse. but you're also really lame if you're going to leave for canada.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Actually, on second thought maybe we do need a thread where scores of people can express their utter depravity.

Props to all the Kerry voters in this forum who are handling the result of the election with complete class.

Yes, let me echo the props to the many regular members on the left who articulate their positions with passion, coonviction and intelligence.

The rest will show themselves for who they are.

:up: to future discussions here in FYM :up:

Face it:

You guys think you know Bush, but you don't know him as well as we (the americans) do.

We voted for him because our values align with his.

It's that simple.

He is not a bigot, we are not bigots.
He kicked some ass when we were attacked, and we liked it.
We voted him back in because we like him.

We are not warmongers, but we are the most powerful nation in the world. The attacks required a shift in policy and we made that shift. We are going to be in Iraq and Afganistan for 20+ years trying to stabalize, and democracize the area.

This is what we voted for. This is who we are.

Mark

For the record, we didn't all vote for Bush. I didn't. I don't think 51% of my compatriots are idiots. I simply do not agree with them. It's not like I'm going to be arrested for illegal political activities, because I didn't commit them. I agree with many of the criticisms of Bush, but hey, I'm in the minority. To say that we don't deserve U2 is just not fair. I think U2 respect the rights and independence of their fans, and want us all to think for ourselves. At any rate, don't hold this against an entire country.

verte76 said:
For the record, we didn't all vote for Bush. I didn't. I don't think 51% of my compatriots are idiots. I simply do not agree with them. It's not like I'm going to be arrested for illegal political activities, because I didn't commit them. I agree with many of the criticisms of Bush, but hey, I'm in the minority. To say that we don't deserve U2 is just not fair. I think U2 respect the rights and independence of their fans, and want us all to think for ourselves. At any rate, don't hold this against an entire country.

IWasBored said:
but you're also really lame if you're going to leave for canada.

Reading that stuff here is just as scary to me as some of the stereotypes about Americans I read here. Thanks for lumping us all together in one neat pile :up: Edit to add, I don't mean what I quoted you saying IWB, I meant the "leaving for Canada" stuff. I also meant that the people stereotyping were putting us together in one pile, not IWB. Ok, I'm confused now :D

It's sad really, but go to Canada if you wish. That just leaves more room for ugly Americans like me to wave the flag and kiss Bush's behind (cause even though I voted for Kerry, I guess I'll just be my ugly American self and tow the line), and to prepare to attack Canada or whoever else next

:rolleyes:

I guess it's easier to be defeatist and cynical than to hold out hope or work towards something better :shrug:

Last edited:
MadelnIris and U2_Guy - I deleted both of your comments because we are not going to go there. Take your beefs with each other elsewhere, ie email.

Last warning that if the personal attacks don't stop, this discussion will be closed. :|

sharky said:

You know, I was going to try and be civil, but Mac, you need to shove it. You have no idea what Hawk and I went through on 9/11.

I do... and I voted for Bush.

And the people from Long Island, where it was a virtual tie between bush and kerry... they too, know what it was like. Same with the people from northern jersey, where bush won.

Last edited:
MadelynIris said:
We are not warmongers, but we are the most powerful nation in the world. The attacks required a shift in policy and we made that shift. We are going to be in Iraq and Afganistan for 20+ years trying to stabalize, and democracize the area.

Mark

But didn't you vote for him because of his war record? How can that not be war mongering? We weren't supposed to be in Iraq and Afghanistan for 20+ years. And how are we going to be there that long without enough troops? Anyone feel a DRAFT in here.

In four years, we will not be the most powerful nation in the world. We will be a shell of our former selves, a nation stuck in the past while the European Union passes us by to become the next super power while we pay off the enormous debts we are generating.

MadelynIris said:
Face it:

You guys think you know Bush, but you don't know him as well as we (the americans) do.

We voted for him because our values align with his.

It's that simple.

He is not a bigot, we are not bigots.
He kicked some ass when we were attacked, and we liked it.
We voted him back in because we like him.

Mark

Well said, well said... I say well said!!!

People are just throwing around the word bigot because they think it has some sort of an effect on us, like we are going to flinch. We won't, cause we know its not ture.

Some of the most tolerant people I know are Bush supporters, which is far more than I can say for those that didn't support him. The majority of comments I have read here today only confirm that.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

I do... and I voted for Bush.

And the people from Long Island, where it was a virtual tie between bush and kerry... they too, know what it was like. Same with the people from northern jersey, where bush won.

But what about Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens? How did Kerry win those three boroughs with at least 70% of the vote in each? And really headache, when was the last time you at the Trade Center site? When was the last time you rode the subway into Lower Manhattan on a weekday and walked around?

sharky said:

But didn't you vote for him because of his war record? How can that not be war mongering? We weren't supposed to be in Iraq and Afghanistan for 20+ years. And how are we going to be there that long without enough troops? Anyone feel a DRAFT in here.

In four years, we will not be the most powerful nation in the world. We will be a shell of our former selves, a nation stuck in the past while the European Union passes us by to become the next super power while we pay off the enormous debts we are generating.

I don't have that cynical of a view.

thacraic said:

People are just throwing around the word bigot because they think it has some sort of an effect on us, like we are going to flinch. We won't, cause we know its not ture.

Some of the most tolerant people I know are Bush supporters, which is far more than I can say for those that didn't support him. The majority of comments I have read here today only confirm that.

Then how come anti-gay legislation passed in states that 90% of the time went to Bush? Doesn't that embarass you?

thacraic said:

I agree with you that the most tolerant people I know are Bush supporters...and as far as I'm concerned, though I didn't vote for Bush I'm glad he won, and I like Bush. I think he's a nice guy. A great guy.

sharky said:

Then how come anti-gay legislation passed in states that 90% of the time went to Bush? Doesn't that embarass you?

I believe it does not embarrass them.

It is a wedge issue that wins elections.

All the crap about values -

Is just code.

deep said:

I believe it does not embarrass them.

It is a wedge issue that wins elections.

All the crap about values -

Is just code.

It does = values to them...just not yours. We'll leave God to decide whose values are accurate. I know what I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom