AP - Michael Brown being removed from managing Katrina Relief

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another example of the splendid coordinating going on...

UP IN FLAMES
Tons of British aid donated to help Hurricane Katrina victims to be Burned by Americans

from the Mirror/UK
by Ryan Parry

Hundreds of tons of British food aid shipped to America for starving Hurricane Katrina survivors is to be burned

US red tape is stopping it from reaching hungry evacuees.

Instead tons of the badly needed Nato ration packs, the same as those eaten by British troops in Iraq, has been condemned as unfit for human consumption.

And unless the bureaucratic mess is cleared up soon it could be sent for incineration.

One British aid worker last night called the move "sickening senselessness" and said furious colleagues were "spitting blood".

The food, which cost British taxpayers millions, is sitting idle in a huge warehouse after the Food and Drug Agency recalled it when it had already left to be distributed.

Scores of lorries headed back to a warehouse in Little Rock, Arkansas, to dump it at an FDA incineration plant.

Food from Spain and Italy is also being held because it fails to meet US standards and has been judged unfit for human consumption.

And Israeli relief agencies are furious that thousands of gallons of pear juice are to be destroyed because it has been judged unfit.

The FDA said: "We did inspect some MREs (meals ready to eat) on September 13. They are the only MREs we looked at. There were 70 huge pallets of vegetarian MREs.

"They were from a foreign nation. We inspected them and then released them for distribution."

entire article here

How Many More Mike Browns are out There?

A TIME inquiry finds that at top positions in some vital government agencies, the Bush Administration is putting connections before experience

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1109272,00.html?cnn=yes

"As far back as the Florida recount, soon-to-be Vice President Dick Cheney was poring over organizational charts of the government with an eye toward stocking it with people sympathetic to the incoming Administration. Clay Johnson III, Bush's former Yale roommate and the Administration's chief architect of personnel, recalls preparing for the inner circle's first trip from Austin, Texas, to Washington: "We were standing there getting ready to get on a plane, looking at each other like: Can you believe what we're getting ready to do?"

sort of amusing, but not really

washington post

As Hurricane Katrina was hitting New Orleans, then-FEMA Director Michael Brown was attending to the crucial details of . . . his wardrobe. E-mails released yesterday included this exchange on the morning of Aug. 29 with Cindy Taylor , FEMA's deputy director of public affairs:

Taylor wrote: "You look fabulous -- and I'm not talking the makeup!"

Brown replied: "I got it at Nordstroms . . . Are you proud of me?" An hour later, he added: "If you look at my lovely FEMA attire you'll really vomit. I am a fashion god."

But the fashion god still needed a tweak. Later that week, press secretary Sharon Worthy instructed Brown to get serious: "In this cris[is] and on TV you need to look more hard working . . . ROLL UP THE SLEEVES."

Funny, we never realized FEMA stood for Fashion Emergency Management Agency.

[q]Brown's E-Mails After Katrina Show Concern About His Image, Dog

By Jeff Bliss
Nov. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown discussed his appearance, his dog and his public image as the government's relief effort unraveled after Hurricane Katrina, based on e-mails released yesterday.

``If you'll look at my lovely FEMA attire you'll really vomit,'' Brown wrote to colleagues the morning of Aug. 29, the day the storm hit the Gulf Coast. ``I am a fashion god.''

The e-mails were among 1,000 pages of electronic messages the Homeland Security Department turned over to a special House panel probing the federal response. They show Brown wasn't fully engaged in managing the emergency response to the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history, according to a report by Representative Charles Melancon, a Louisiana Democrat.

The messages show ``Mr. Brown made few decisions and seemed out of touch,'' said the report written by Melancon's aides.

In an e-mail early on Aug. 29, Brown acknowledged a colleague's compliment about his clothing. ``Are you proud of me?'' he wrote. ``Can I quit now? Can I go home?''

Nicol Andrews, a FEMA spokeswoman, said the selective release of the e-mails distorts the decision-making process during the storm and in the immediate aftermath. Brown didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

`What Went Right'

``FEMA is cooperating fully with Congress in looking at what went right and what went wrong during the federal response to Katrina,'' she said. It's ``hard to believe that supplying the media with a few e-mails taken entirely out of context helps to accomplish that task.''

Rob White, a spokesman for Republican Representative Tom Davis of Virginia, chairman of the special panel investigating the hurricane response, said that while ``I can't say we agree 100 percent'' with the Democratic analysis, ``these e-mails do raise important questions about what actions he was taking or not taking.''

After receiving several e-mails about the breach of levees that were supposed to protect New Orleans from flooding on Aug. 29, Brown questioned their accuracy, writing, ``I'm being told here water over not a breach.''

Most congressional critics and administration officials have said the breaching of the levees overwhelmed the federal, state and local responses. TV images of stranded New Orleans hurricane survivors without food, water or medical attention prompted outrage among Americans and Congress and led to Brown's resignation on Sept. 12.

`How To Do It'

In a Sept. 27 appearance before the House panel, Brown defended his actions. ``I get it when it comes to emergency management, I know what it's all about,'' he said. ``I know how to do it, and I think I do a pretty darn good job of it.''

On Aug. 31, in response to a message detailing how people are being ``kicked out'' of New Orleans hotels and that food and water had run out at the Superdome, the city's primary shelter, Brown responded, ``Thanks for the update. Anything specific I need to do or tweak?''

On Sept. 4, as criticism mounted of the federal effort, Brown received an e-mail from Sharon Worthy, whom the Melancon report identified as the former director's press secretary, telling him: ``You just need to look more hard-working...ROLL UP THE SLEEVES!''

In other e-mails, Brown searched for someone to care for his dog at his home and recommended former colleagues to defend him in a potentially negative story about his past management of the International Arabian Horse Association.

Brown wrote ``do you know of anyone who dog sits?'' in an e-mail to his assistant on Aug. 30. ``If you know of any responsible kids, let me know.''

In another, he asked a friend to ``make the connection'' so that ex-colleagues could defend his past work for reporters.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=IPD4O50D9L35

[/q]

yes, clearly it was Nagin and Blanco who were the incompetent ones. the only mistake Brownie made was not knowing how incompetent they were.

:|

it sounds like he's on the same intellectual plane as our esteemed president.

Nicol Andrews, a FEMA spokeswoman, said the selective release of the e-mails distorts the decision-making process during the storm and in the immediate aftermath.

This seems about right.

With a collection of email snippits, you can paint any picture you want.

Many decisions led to failed levees

It was a simple solution that could have prevented one of the worst disasters in the nation's history: metal gates at the mouths of New Orleans' canals that closed automatically to block hurricane storm surges on Lake Pontchartrain.

But the gates were never built. Local officials objected to the Army Corps of Engineers' plans in the 1980s, saying they would interfere with the city's antiquated network of pump stations that drain rainwater from the city.

the e-mails have been posted by Louisiana Rep. Charles Melancon, of course you can't get the site now

here's one they had on Wonkette, he has a very twisted sense of humor if he thinks that's "funny", sick one might say..I know people are like that in e-mails sometimes but I think his position required some dignity and careful decorum and thought

fucking%20fuckwad.jpg

I don't think that the man in charge of the agency that is supposed to be helping people there making "jokes" about being trapped is funny. As far as I know that is an authentic copy of his e-mail.

People who made that Bush photo were making their version of commentary, satire, whatever one wishes to call it

this cnn.com article has PDF of the e-mails

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/03/brown.fema.emails/index.html

"Two days after Katrina hit, Marty Bahamonde, one of the only FEMA employees in New Orleans, wrote to Brown that "the situation is past critical" and listed problems including many people near death and food and water running out at the Superdome.

Brown's entire response was: "Thanks for the update. Anything specific I need to do or tweak?"

The e-mails Melancon posted, a sampling of more than 1,000 provided to the House committee now assessing responses to Katrina by all levels of government, also show Brown making flippant remarks about his responsibilities.

"Can I quit now? Can I come home?" Brown wrote to Cindy Taylor, FEMA's deputy director of public affairs, the morning of the hurricane.

A few days later, Brown wrote to an acquaintance, "I'm trapped now, please rescue me."

"In the midst of the overwhelming damage caused by the hurricane and enormous problems faced by FEMA, Mr. Brown found time to exchange e-mails about superfluous topics," including "problems finding a dog-sitter," Melancon said.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't think that the man in charge of the agency that is supposed to be helping people there making "jokes" about being trapped is funny. As far as I know that is an authentic copy of his e-mail.

People who made that Bush photo were making their version of commentary, satire, whatever one wishes to call it

It looks like a poor fake. The font used for the text of the email is different and runs on a slight angle from the header.

If genuine as posted, it is below bad taste.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Ya think?

I think he's missing a sensitivity chip too

Maybe he's just a tad arrogant as well :hmm:
Q. "What did you think when you heard a plane crashed into the WTC?"

A. "I said that guy must be a terrible pilot."

"Hello, this is Mrs. X. She lost her husband in the 911 WTC attacks, 911 is also her wedding anniversary."

reply, "Ew, double whammy."

Back
Top Bottom