AP: Bush Paper Details Iraq Spending Plan - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2003, 05:29 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Popmartijn,

"And what's your source of this?"

World Book Year Book for 2003 reports that Baghdad Metro area has a population of 5,041,000. Thats about 20% of the population in Iraq.

Over 90% of attacks on US troops have occured in Baghdad or the Sunni Triangle a little north of Baghdad. Reported by multiple sources, but the most accurate and detailed reports come from the Army Times.

US forces have been operating in the Kurdish area's for over 12 years now. US forces are more popular in the Kurdish area's than in any part of Iraq.

My friends are Marines who have spent the past 8 months living in Southern Iraq working with the Shia population. They have had no major difficulties and a lot of successes. People are kind and supportive. More friendly they say than some of the international troops being sent in from other countries.

Several of my friends were the last Marines in Iraq and were just withdrawn from Iraq yesterday. They will be back home at their home base in California by the end of the month.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:41 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I just got some demographics for Iraq. About 75-80% of the population of the country is Arabic. The Kurds are about 15-20% of the population; Turkomans, Assyrians and other minorities are about 5% of the population. 97% of these people are Muslim. About 60-65% of these are Shia, and 32-37% are Sunni. Christians and other minorities are about 3% of the population. The languages spoken are Arabic, Kurdish (official in the Kurd-controlled areas), Assyrian, and Armenian.

Old 09-25-2003, 07:01 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This comes from the World Book Encyclopedia:

Arabs make up about 80% of Iraq's population and the Kurds form about 15 percent. Other groups includ Mandaeans, Turkomans, and Yazidis. About 95% of the Iraqi people are Muslims. Most Arabs of central and southeastern Iraq belong to the Shiah branch of the Muslim religion. The rest of Iraq's Muslims including the Kurds, are Sunnites. Iraq has about 200,000 Christians and about 5,000 Jews.

So the Kurds are Sunni but should not be confused with the Sunni's around Baghdad who are Arab and not Kurdish.

The Sunni population minus the Kurds comprise about 17% to 22% of the total population of the country. Saddam's only base of support is among some of these people.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 AM   #19
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 02:57 AM
Sting:
it could be that not the supporters of Saddam are not the biggest threat to the US soldiers security but Al Quaida, i think (and it's only my personal opinion) that this organisation is more popular down there now than the former iraqi regime.

Klaus
Old 09-29-2003, 02:03 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Sting:
it could be that not the supporters of Saddam are not the biggest threat to the US soldiers security but Al Quaida, i think (and it's only my personal opinion) that this organisation is more popular down there now than the former iraqi regime.

Klaus
This could be true. There's alot of talk about the Wahhabis. Maybe I should say the "pseudo-Wahhabis" because I don't think most Wahhabis in Saudi Arabia support terrorists. They are very conservative Moslems, especially in the social morality department. These pseudo-Wahhabis are Sunni but never liked Saddam. They are Arabic also, and they've (perhaps) teamed up with Al-Qaeda or someone else who has a vested interest in giving the U.S. and Co. fits. Just speculation, I have no way of absolutely knowing this.