ANZAC DAY 25th April

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fly so high!

Refugee
To the thousands of Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought and lost their lives in the first world war as part of the Australian and New Zealand Army corps (ANZACs)

The ODE

They shall grow not old

as we that are left grow old

Age shall not weary them

nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun

and in the morning

we will remember them.

LEST WE FORGET

poppy.jpg

:hmm: Why a red poppy? Is it a Flanders Field allusion or something?

What a waste :(
That's what happens when you get arrogant pig British generals at gallipoli that show no respect for the crappy little country 'Australia' they settled 150 years ago. Wave after wave came out and got mowed down and the British continued to send them out. Poor guys. I will never remember those who died as heros (much too loose of a term nowadays), just victims of circumstance and severe incompetance.
Nevertheless......lest we forget

yolland said:
:hmm: Why a red poppy? Is it a Flanders Field allusion or something?

Yes. The poppy is a lasting memorial symbol to the fallen, it was realised by the Canadian surgeon John McCrae in his poem In Flanders Fields. The poppy came to represent the immeasurable sacrifice made by his comrades and quickly became a lasting memorial to those who died in the First World War and later conflicts.

fly so high! said:
To the thousands of Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought and lost their lives in the first world war as part of the Australian and New Zealand Army corps (ANZACs)

The ODE

They shall grow not old

as we that are left grow old

Age shall not weary them

nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun

and in the morning

we will remember them.

LEST WE FORGET

LEST WE FORGET

It warrants repeating:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Gets me every time. Every single time. :sad:

Lest we forget.

Diemen said:
That's for another thread.

"bang! goes another kanga
On the bonnet of the van.
See the light ram through the gaps in the land.
Many an aborigines mistaken for a tree
til you near him on the motorway
And the tree begin to breathe.

(ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha)

Coming in with the golden light
In the morning.
Is the new man.
Is my dented van.

Woomera.

Dree-ee-ee-ee-ee-
A-a-a-a-a-
M-m-m-m-m-
Ti-ti-ti-ti-ti-
I-i-i-i-i-
Me-me-me-me-me,

Dree-ee-ee-ee-ee-
Woomera.
A-a-a-a-a-
M-m-m-m-m-
Ti-ti-ti-ti-ti-
I-i-i-i-i-
Me-me-me-me-me.

Dree-ee-ee-ee-ee-
A-a-a-a-a-
M-m-m-m-m-
Ti-ti-ti-ti-ti-

The civilised keep alive
The territorial war.
Erase the race that claim the place
And say we dig for ore,
Or dangle devils in a bottle
And push them from the pull of the bush.
You find them in the road.
See the light bounce off the rocks to the sand.
In the road."

financeguy said:
What about the Aborigines?

What about not hijacking a solemn thread of remembrance?

For some of us, this is a very emotional and sombre day and we don't need some tactless wanker from the other side of the world such as yourself coming in here and trying to politicise it.

Axver said:
What about not hijacking a solemn thread of remembrance?

For some of us, this is a very emotional and sombre day and we don't need some tactless wanker from the other side of the world such as yourself coming in here and trying to politicise it.

Yes, I understand that.

I am merely trying to commemorate the native Australians.

This is, after all, a debating forum.

I've just come back from the National War Memorial in Canberra where I attended the Dawn Service. A very moving occassion, especially as my grandfather who faught in WWII passed away last year. The Last Post never fails to send a shiver up the spine.

Lest We Forget.

Financeguy, the Aborginal and Torres Strait Islander people who fought are duly honoured for their duty and sacrifice on ANZAC day

financeguy said:

Yes, I understand that.

I am merely trying to commemorate the native Australians.

I'm not seeing your point. This is not Australia Day, when pointing out the plight of the Aborigines is highly pertinent. This is ANZAC Day. The Aborigines are relevant insofar as they participated in WWI and subsequent wars. And why are you only mentioning the Aborigines while ignoring the Maori? ANZAC Day is just as significant to New Zealand as it is to Australia. After all, 1 in 10 New Zealanders fought in WWI, and per capita, we had the highest amount of deaths (not sure if that's overall or just amongst the Allies).

This is, after all, a debating forum.

Oh really? "This is an off-topic forum. Discuss politics, spirituality, religion, world events." No mention of debate, but there is a mention of discussing world events. This happens to be a serious world event that we are remembering. We don't need to turn it into a debate, at least not on this thread. If you want to debate, make a new thread. Leave this one for remembrance.

Cass85 said:
I've just come back from the National War Memorial in Canberra where I attended the Dawn Service. A very moving occassion, especially as my grandfather who faught in WWII passed away last year. The Last Post never fails to send a shiver up the spine.

Lest We Forget.

Financeguy, the Aborginal and Torres Strait Islander people who fought are duly honoured for their duty and sacrifice on ANZAC day

With respect, that was not my point. Several of my ancestors died in both world wars, I certainly wouldn't dream of diminishing their sacrifice, such as it was, but they sure as fuck weren't proud of it, neither were they ashamed, as such, they just did their DUTY.

financeguy said:

With respect, that was not my point. Several of my ancestors died in both world wars, I certainly wouldn't dream of diminishing their sacrifice, such as it was, but they sure as fuck weren't proud of it, neither were they ashamed, as such, they just did their DUTY.

Of course, you are totally ignoring the context of Gallipoli and the ANZACs in Australian and New Zealand history.

financeguy, drop it. This is not a debate topic and 'The Dreaming' is a pretty disingenuous way to "commemorate the Aborigines" anyhow. Leave it alone.

financeguy said:
It belongs to them, give it back.

That has nothing, NOTHING, to do with the Australians and New Zealanders who fought the Ottoman Turks for eight hopeless, bloody months on the shores of Gallipoli.

Piss off, you tactless wanker.

Edit: sorry yolland, didn't see your post before posting. This is the last time I'll waste my time responding to financeguy.

yolland said:
financeguy, drop it. This is not a debate topic and 'The Dreaming' is a pretty disingenuous way to "commemorate the Aborigines" anyhow. Leave it alone.

I was going to say something my great uncle's dying recollections about the futility of war, but as you asked me nicely, I will drop it.

Gee what a great way to destroy an important message.

Today is a very special and important day in Australian’s and New Zealanders history, (I am a Kiwi living in Australia).

This thread is to respect all those who fought and sadly those who died at a young age for their country to give us what we have today.

This thread (now in its second year) was intended to respect all those who fought.

I applaud the comments of Axver and Cass85, as they (like many) understand the meaning of ANZAC Day.

Financeguy shame on you and your comments. Start another thread if you want to bitch.

We just want to respect the dead, who gave the ultimate sacrifice for us.

Back
Top Bottom