ANZAC DAY 25th April - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
It warrants repeating:

Ditto

Lest We Forget

Watching the march on TV now.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #17
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
What about the Aborigines?
What about not hijacking a solemn thread of remembrance?

For some of us, this is a very emotional and sombre day and we don't need some tactless wanker from the other side of the world such as yourself coming in here and trying to politicise it.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-24-2007, 09:06 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
What about not hijacking a solemn thread of remembrance?

For some of us, this is a very emotional and sombre day and we don't need some tactless wanker from the other side of the world such as yourself coming in here and trying to politicise it.
Yes, I understand that.

I am merely trying to commemorate the native Australians.

This is, after all, a debating forum.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 02:02 PM
I've just come back from the National War Memorial in Canberra where I attended the Dawn Service. A very moving occassion, especially as my grandfather who faught in WWII passed away last year. The Last Post never fails to send a shiver up the spine.

Lest We Forget.

Financeguy, the Aborginal and Torres Strait Islander people who fought are duly honoured for their duty and sacrifice on ANZAC day
Old 04-24-2007, 09:17 PM   #20
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Yes, I understand that.

I am merely trying to commemorate the native Australians.
I'm not seeing your point. This is not Australia Day, when pointing out the plight of the Aborigines is highly pertinent. This is ANZAC Day. The Aborigines are relevant insofar as they participated in WWI and subsequent wars. And why are you only mentioning the Aborigines while ignoring the Maori? ANZAC Day is just as significant to New Zealand as it is to Australia. After all, 1 in 10 New Zealanders fought in WWI, and per capita, we had the highest amount of deaths (not sure if that's overall or just amongst the Allies).

Quote:
This is, after all, a debating forum.
Oh really? "This is an off-topic forum. Discuss politics, spirituality, religion, world events." No mention of debate, but there is a mention of discussing world events. This happens to be a serious world event that we are remembering. We don't need to turn it into a debate, at least not on this thread. If you want to debate, make a new thread. Leave this one for remembrance.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Cass85
I've just come back from the National War Memorial in Canberra where I attended the Dawn Service. A very moving occassion, especially as my grandfather who faught in WWII passed away last year. The Last Post never fails to send a shiver up the spine.

Lest We Forget.

Financeguy, the Aborginal and Torres Strait Islander people who fought are duly honoured for their duty and sacrifice on ANZAC day

With respect, that was not my point. Several of my ancestors died in both world wars, I certainly wouldn't dream of diminishing their sacrifice, such as it was, but they sure as fuck weren't proud of it, neither were they ashamed, as such, they just did their DUTY.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

Quote:

With respect, that was not my point. Several of my ancestors died in both world wars, I certainly wouldn't dream of diminishing their sacrifice, such as it was, but they sure as fuck weren't proud of it, neither were they ashamed, as such, they just did their DUTY.
Of course, you are totally ignoring the context of Gallipoli and the ANZACs in Australian and New Zealand history.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

It belongs to them, give it back.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

financeguy, drop it. This is not a debate topic and 'The Dreaming' is a pretty disingenuous way to "commemorate the Aborigines" anyhow. Leave it alone.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #25
Vocal parasite

Quote:
It belongs to them, give it back.
That has nothing, NOTHING, to do with the Australians and New Zealanders who fought the Ottoman Turks for eight hopeless, bloody months on the shores of Gallipoli.

Piss off, you tactless wanker.

Edit: sorry yolland, didn't see your post before posting. This is the last time I'll waste my time responding to financeguy.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
financeguy, drop it. This is not a debate topic and 'The Dreaming' is a pretty disingenuous way to "commemorate the Aborigines" anyhow. Leave it alone.
I was going to say something my great uncle's dying recollections about the futility of war, but as you asked me nicely, I will drop it.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #27
Refugee

Gee what a great way to destroy an important message.

Today is a very special and important day in Australian’s and New Zealanders history, (I am a Kiwi living in Australia).

This thread is to respect all those who fought and sadly those who died at a young age for their country to give us what we have today.

This thread (now in its second year) was intended to respect all those who fought.

I applaud the comments of Axver and Cass85, as they (like many) understand the meaning of ANZAC Day.

Financeguy shame on you and your comments. Start another thread if you want to bitch.

We just want to respect the dead, who gave the ultimate sacrifice for us.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:45 AM   #28
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Lest We Forget.

Yet....will we ever learn?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:50 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Old 04-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 02:02 PM
Quote:

I was going to say something my great uncle's dying recollections about the futility of war, but as you asked me nicely, I will drop it.
Good!