Anyone here meditate? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2002, 03:48 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Anyone here meditate?

I swear sometimes I am so lazy, I could just look this up on the net, but really wanted to know if anyone practices any type of meditation. I know there are many ways someone can do it, and I'm kinda not too keen to do the Hare Krishna style where your heart rate drops to a very low level or anything as I have too low blood pressure as it is. Im wondering more about the home brand no frills sort, where you just take yourself off to a quiet room and let your mind relax etc. The thing I'm wondering about is how to achieve this state. If my mind is all over the place, and ironiclally could do with some meditation, I find this is the hardest way to stop yourself and slow it all down. How do you actually achieve these states? Are there techniques anyone does that might work? Or is it best to get advice from someone who's qualified?

I've seen people in the Lotus pose and thought, it looks almost as good as sleep!

------------------
"I think, therefore I um..."

Old 01-23-2002, 06:20 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Heya Angela Harlem;

Yes, I do meditate on a daily basis for about an hour everyday in the lotus posture you speak of.

Though I still haven't gotten into it as such, I practice what's known as 'Siddha Yoga', which is pretty simple and pretty non-demanding, and you don't have to pay to be a member or anything... so I like what it stands for. I hate to talk about it because I hate sounding preachy and bullshitty, not that I think it is, Siddha Yoga has truly helped my life and saved me loads and loads of times, and I know exactly what you mean when you talk of this 'calm inner state'.

Anyway, just to let you know that I do actually practice it, if you have any qyestions I'd be only too happy to help.

Ant.

Old 01-23-2002, 07:37 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Actually Angie, Im thinking seriously of taking yoga classes.
Im pretty flexible ya know hehe

I definitely need something like this to get my mind and body in a better state than they are.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:00 AM   #4
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Thanks for that Anthony! Would you mind actually posting a little bit more about it? Or emailing if you'd prefer angelaharlem@hotmail.com. And it definately sounds in no way preachy I think it sounds very interesting. Ive been contemplating karate, but think I need either yoga or meditation more.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:42 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:20 PM
I hope it's not the kind of meditation where you empty your mind in order to glimpse eternity, zen-like. That kind of mumbojumbo pisses me off. I never meditate but if thinking of a single topic for a period of time is your definition of meditation, then I do. Hope you find a great way to relax, Angie...

foray
Old 01-23-2002, 12:50 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Well, I don't see how you can call it mumbojumbo, let alone be pissed off by it, if you haven't experienced it. I have had amazing experiences.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:25 PM   #7
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:20 AM
I sort of agree with foray
but that might be because my mind is almost never all over the place

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 01-23-2002, 01:30 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Okay then let me elaborate. I am pissed off by people who go into yoga/meditation/hareKrishna/anythingoriental simply because it is oriental and therefore exotic. It's the same feeling Westerners feel when they see Asian people rapping, I guess. It's like these people didn't come from that kind of cultural background but are drawn to it because it is (a) fashionable, and (b) mystic, and (c) ancient therefore 'wise'.

Emptying one's mind completely? Completely? I don't see the fruits of that. God told Joshua to meditate on His Word daily, that meant thinking about God/His teachings/etc; he didn't give us minds to empty them. That is my Christian point of view, you may say.

foray
Old 01-23-2002, 01:32 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by foray:
It's like these people didn't come from that kind of cultural background but are drawn to it because it is (a) fashionable, and (b) mystic, and (c) ancient therefore 'wise'.
foray
my mistake; I obviously didn't mean to say that rapping is ancient therefore wise, I was talking about the other group of people

foray

Old 01-23-2002, 01:36 PM   #10
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Quote:
Emptying one's mind completely? Completely? I don't see the fruits of that. God told Joshua to meditate on His Word daily, that meant thinking about God/His teachings/etc; he didn't give us minds to empty them.
now I completely agree with foray

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 01-23-2002, 01:49 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Okay then let me elaborate. I am pissed off by people who go into yoga/meditation/hareKrishna/anythingoriental simply because it is oriental and therefore exotic. It's the same feeling Westerners feel when they see Asian people rapping, I guess. It's like these people didn't come from that kind of cultural background but are drawn to it because it is (a) fashionable, and (b) mystic, and (c) ancient therefore 'wise'.

Emptying one's mind completely? Completely? I don't see the fruits of that. God told Joshua to meditate on His Word daily, that meant thinking about God/His teachings/etc; he didn't give us minds to empty them. That is my Christian point of view, you may say.

foray
Not all Westerners meditate simply because it is exotic or fashionable. Sure, there are dabblers, but that's cool, too--I think everyone looking for something spiritual should dabble away until they find what they're looking for. I meditate because I have had a very deep, transformative experience with it that transcended my experience growing up in the Christian church, which was very empty and dead for me. I love Jesus the Christ, but I view him as a great Master, but one of many, past, present and future. That is my non-Christian perspective.

And meditation is not really about "emptying" the mind--at least not for me--it's about realizing that the Soul and mind are two separate entitites inside us. Meditation helps one to transcend the grips of the mind so that Soul shines more brilliantly as the spark of God within that it is. The goal is not to get rid of the mind, but to transcend it because truth is not to be found within it, but rather only in Soul.

But to each his/her own. I feel that ultimately all spiritual paths lead to God and I don't think one is better or worse than another (although I personally am not a big fan of religions). But I'm glad that so much exists in the world spiritually, that there is something for everyone. If prayer is where it's at for you, then go for it! I never try to convince anyone to do what I do, but rather to do more of whatever it is that works for them.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-23-2002).]
Old 01-23-2002, 02:02 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Many of my Western friends do. Also, seeing that it is only recently that Westerners have become interested in all things oriental, it does seem like it's a craze/fashion/wave. Everyone wants to be a Dharma (the character on tv). So needless to say, it's because of this that I get frustrated, because many of the people I know are in it for the mystic (and I always wondered, what is so enlightening about mystique?, you understand the irony)

I agree with you that there is a need to realise the difference between mind and soul, as Christianity is a faith for all, so it includes the spastic, the less intelligent and so on. One doesn't need to be an intellectual to be saved. Ask a spastic person if he knows what exactly Jesus did when he died on the cross, and he won't be able to explain the metaphysics and logic of it, but he might only say simply that he loves Jesus and that is all he knows.

Anyway, what do you do when you meditate? Is it the sort where you concentrate on your own breathing and that's it?

I don't think all spiritual paths lead to the same end because it is logically impossible. I've had this discussion before, and it is late now, so I'll wait for someone else maybe to bring it up.

foray

Old 01-23-2002, 02:27 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Let me ask you this...how would you feel if someone said it was silly for Asians to convert to Christianity because it's just so trendy and "Western"? Not that that is happening a lot, but I think we can agree that "trendy" as a reason for pursuing any spiritual practice or religion is not terribly sincere, although even then, if you look deeper, I think all you'll find is someone who is looking for truth and love and disatisfied with whatever it is they've been previously exposed to. However, one's path is one's path, period. It doesn't matter where they live, or where the teaching originated. If you're drawn to it, resonate with it, are enriched by it, then it's the right thing. Your friends who meditate only because it's trendy will either have a short-lived and shallow experience with it, and move on, possibly finding something else along the way that really speaks to them, or they will move into it in a deeper way and be changed by it. In America, it's true that various Eastern teachings are currently very popular, but we're a young country; these other teachings really couldn't have made their way here much faster!

My particular meditation practice involves an esoteric path that, because of the strong Christian presence here, I don't really feel comfortable discussing in detail. But I can tell you that I work with a mantra that is an ancient word for God, and in the repetition of this mantra the soul energies rise through the body and collect at the third eye (I believe in the bible it is referred to as "the tenth door" or the "wicket gate" but I could be wrong, having daydreamed through most of my childhood bible studies). Or that's the goal anyway--I am not always successful. But when I am, there is deep peace, sometimes more. This has been my practice for 9 years, so it is not a passing phase for me.

Some yogas deal with breath control, but the one I practice does not.

As for the "all paths are one" debate, I don't need to have it--been there, done that, I know where it goes!

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-23-2002).]
Old 01-24-2002, 12:57 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I forgot to mention that the people who go into all the mystic stuff reject Christianity utterly. And this is not because they have been down the Christianity path and decided it's not for them. I've asked around and they don't know much about the faith anyway as they mostly came from hippie backgrounds. Basically I'm saying that a lot of Westerners these days are quick to reject Christianity but embrace oriental mysticism without knowing much about it.

foray
Old 01-24-2002, 01:41 AM   #15
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Quote:
I forgot to mention that the people who go into all the mystic stuff reject Christianity utterly. And this is not because they have been down the Christianity path and decided it's not for them. I've asked around and they don't know much about the faith anyway as they mostly came from hippie backgrounds. Basically I'm saying that a lot of Westerners these days are quick to reject Christianity but embrace oriental mysticism without knowing much about it.

foray
And... so what if those people reject Christianity as being the faith they choose to follow? Is their being from a "hippie background" as you put it, so wrong for them? Is it wrong for someone else to choose to embrace oriental mysticism and not Christianity? It may not be up your alley but you don't really know until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Maybe, despite cashing in on the fad, those "hippies" are finding solace and peace in either dabbling or diving head first into the teachings of Oriental "mysticism." Sure they may reject Christianity because they haven't taken the time to study it, or maybe they are turned off by it because of the few vocal evangelistic Christians who claim that noncoventional/non-Western religions are nothing more than hogwash. There's another side to every story - but I think that slamming someone's spiritual beliefs by calling it a passing fad is quite insulting to those who have found peace in spiritual teachings that aren't based on Judeo-Christianity.