Anyone here meditate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HeartlandGirl, I guess you said what you said because you did not read the entire dialogue.

Also, let me make it clear that I'm not against yoga, only that type of meditation that I specified.

foray

Originally posted by foray:
HeartlandGirl, I guess you said what you said because you did not read the entire dialogue.

Also, let me make it clear that I'm not against yoga, only that type of meditation that I specified.

foray

First, I have since read everything that has been posted here. I still stand by what I wrote.

Second, where did this discussion of yoga come from? I didn't bring it up, except to say that yogajournal.com had info about meditation.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
i dont meditate and i dont do yoga or whatever.

what do i do to relax and "escape?"

i really dont like the idea of escaping, because its dangerous, but i will lie in my bed before i sleep and pretend myself flying about 400 feet above a valley, with rather heavy snow falling and me just coasting over everything, slow or fast.

i also sometimes think back to the farm. wide open, in the middle of NOWHERE. noone can see me. i cant see them. i love it. isolation is bliss. then, i walk down the road and slowly turn it into a run. i run as fast as a i can and feel the wind against my face, and i always happen to run west for some reason. eventually i take off flying into the sunset, from running so fast.

thats my idea of escaping. its all in my mind.

Just to clarify, meditation is not escaping. It is anti-escaping. It is being fully conscious of your own thoughts and your own being in the present moment. Like you said, it's all in your mind. Exactly!!!!

And although you may not want to hear it, visualization such as you've described is considered to be a form of meditation.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

hey Angie, I don't know if you can really call it meditation but I do visualization for swimming, and it works for a lot of other things too. I also could not do it at first because my mind NEVER freakin stops tormenting me, so someone told me to try really slow breathing patterns where you concentrate on your breathing, and you can use imagery like a white cloud that you're supposedly breathing in, and then exhaling all the bad stuff. It's really silly sounding
biggrin.gif
but if you try hard at it, it can be relaxing and slow down your brain a bit. It has helped me to practice imagery that doesn't get interrupted by negative thoughts which I didn't think was possible, so who knows, maybe it would work for you. I'd read up on it and get some clearer ideas on how you wanna do it though..

Ok ... not sure if this is really meditation, but its really cool ...

first your computer needs a 3d video card for this to work ...

1. get winamp if you dont already have it: http://www.winamp.com/download/

2. get the milkdrop winamp plug in: http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdrop/

3. Play some mp3s in winamp with milk drop set to full screen ... you could play some U2 songs, but I suggest using Trance ... like Max Graham's Transport 4 or Dj Tiesto's In Search of Sunrise or In Search of Sunrise 2 (you can get thease as huge 70+min mp3s from http://www.audiogalaxy.com )

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
Second, it alarms me that people are getting so up in arms about meditation. Meditation may have Eastern roots, but it is by no means limited to Eastern religions or schools of thought.
This is why I thought you didn't read all my posts, as I didn't say this.

I think that some people in this thread have the wrong idea of what meditation actually is and who practices it.
Then kindly explain to me what it is I am not 'getting' about meditation (the kind where one empties one's mind, for this is the method I'm disagreeing with). Anyone explain to me, not just HeartlandGirl.

And to stereotype those who meditate as all seeking the same thing or all betraying their Western heritage, or whatever, is unfortunate.
Where did I state that? You are clearly referring to me, yes?

To all, I didn't mean for this discussion to turn into an us vs. them thing, or West vs East, or hippie vs. Christianity. It's just a lot of 'hippies' or whatever you wanna call them that I know strike me as pretentious. And I reiterate, I don't deny there may be genuine articles like yourselves.

foray

Thanks HG, I'd love to send you an email if you dont mind. And Ant, thanks, I'll be replying very soon, that was one of the most fascinating emails I think I've ever read, hehe.

Sorry again, some of you guys got your backs up and were forced to defend what you all believe in. Joyfulgirl, Heartland Girl, Adam's mistress and fors, thanks for your thoughts and advice etc. Unfortunately people will never all agree on everything spiritual or religious. I hope no takes anything personally, you're all just coming from different places, and diversity is a good thing.
smile.gif

Sorry to drag this up again, just a quick thanks to kevm, that site was great
smile.gif

And babyg, I forgot to say thnx before. I tried this visualisation thing earlier today, and now I have a job interview tomorrow! Thankyou!
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom