Anyone else find the universe immensely interesting? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 06:24 AM
Anyone else find the universe immensely interesting?

I didn't know where else to post this, but I really want to talk about it.

From a very young age, I have found the universe a subject of incredible interest. I wanted to be an astronomer for a long time, but then I realised you needed to be very smart at maths, which I unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I don't know yet) am not.

I'm always bagged by my mates for this. But whenever it comes up in debates in class, be it in Chemisty, Theology, Religion, whatever, I have to add my two cents. For example, in Theology we were talking about science and religion. My teacher was saying that the Catholic Church now accepts a lot of scientific theories, such as evolution, the big bang and so on. Everyone else was falling asleep, but I was riveted. I put my hand up and said, "Science can explain everything from the inital 'dot' that started the universe to now, but can't explain how that 'dot' got there."

Isn't that mind-boggling?

And the existence of black holes, the whole way that they work, the fact that the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape.

So many things to ponder.

Look, this thread'll probably fall in a hole but I just wanted to say I find it really interesting, and if anyone wants to chin wag with me please do!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:24 PM
I love to watch the pictures made by the Hubble Telescope and others, but I don't know much about the universe.
It's very beautiful and I usually read all the articles about new findings, black holes, other sun systems etc. But I only understand a little bit, and remember even less.
A good friend of mine, who is a genius in physics, also is a great fan of astronomy. He has a really good telescope.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
45:33

Local Time: 06:24 AM
Some of those pictures are simply amazing

Does anyone have a picture of that hourglass galaxy? The spooky one with the eye thing in the middle.

Oh and don't worry I understand it very little as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 01:24 PM
So what's this about the big black hole they found in the universe?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
She's the One

Local Time: 11:24 AM
I agree. I find the universe fascinating as well.

I check out www.spaceweather.com every morning.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:24 AM
I do! I do!

But yeah, when I found out how much math and science was involved I said to myself, "Then I guess I'll just be some girl out in a field staring up at the night sky and wondering."
Old 08-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA
So what's this about the big black hole they found in the universe?
The astronomists don't know themself.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 02:24 PM
I think it's wildly fascinating. I love the pictures from the telescopes. I read up on the articles, but I honestly don't understand much. All I know is it's huge, fascinating and we know almost nothing about it. Blakholes, wormholes, dimensions, dark matter, space dust, speed of light . I love it all.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Yes, the universe, the Earth, us people, the entirety of the cosmos -- it's all pretty stunning.

I don't know how we all got here, but I'm sure glad I'm here!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I love to go away, out of the city, where you cannot see the stars, to go far enough away to escape the city lights and just lay down on the ground and watch the sky in a clear night. I just did that recently with some friends, we were in a very lonesome part of the country where we had a wonderful sky full of stars, and someone who was with us knew a lot about all the constellations and everything and showed and explained it all to us, and it was really fascinating. Since it was mid-August we saw some shooting stars and got very excited.

Looking out into the universe at night is always a very touching and also quite intimating experience for me, also something that reminds me of my childhood, because I used to love doing it and thought a lot about the universe. I am not so sure I want to know everything from a scientific point of view and have all the mysteries solved. I just like NOT knowing and getting all philosophical and emotional about it.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Love looking into the sky at night. Always found it fascinating.

We live close to the River Humber, and there was supposed to be some tall ships sailing into Hull dock and traveling down the Humber.
We went to a nature reserve park that runs along the river so we could see the ships one evening.

As it was getting dark the clouds were fading and we could see stars.
We waited a bit longer, I think it was about 9.30pm and was dark.
There was no lights at all within a mile or so of us.

I just looked up and was in awe of how many starts I could see.
It was really amazing, the whole sky was lit up
Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:24 PM
I took an astro class to fulfill my lab requirement. It was interesting. Dark matter is pretty damn cool.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:24 PM
I'm interested in the discovery of new planets, pictures taken by the Hubble telescope.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:24 PM
Astronomy is one of my absolute favorite subjects. I took two astronomy courses in college, but to continue any further you needed a hefty dose of physics and chemistry. I barely passed chemistry in high school, so much so that I even managed to sneak out of taking physics (my chem teacher yelled at me for that ).
The classes were fascinating, the one lab I took was not. Wayyy too much math. Although we did get to play with stuff like dry ice and a simulator where you could punch in planet orbits and watch planets collide.
We also had a "night time required field trip" to the very sad "astronomy building" which was just a cement block in the middle of the campus. We can't look at stars here in Miami because of the light pollution and cloud coverage, but I got a close-up view of Mars.
AND we had to look at the sun through a special telescope with a light filter and I got to see a sun spot up close.

Anyway, I find it terribly interesting, but as others have said before, there's no way I could pursue it as a career without killing myself.
I would have loved it though!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:54 PM
I received a mail saying that on August 27 th there will be a "two moons" effect with mars being close to the earth and on August 28 th there will be a total eclipse of the moon at 4:51 am (in my zone time )

Yep I´´m a space geek too