Anyone doing the campaign volunteer thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Is anyone working for Kerry or Bush, or volunteering for a state or local race? I signed up to do some phone work for the local Kerry office (I figure I might as well do SOMETHING while I'm unemployed).

Share your experiences! :)

Not this time around. :(

I have volunteered for candidates on both sides in the past on the local and national level (I started doing "lit drops" when I was 12 or 13).

Unfortunately, my life is a little too busy right now, and I am anticipating a move (to a "battleground" state :hyper: ).

This summer and the summer before I volunteered at the Virginia Democratic Party HQ. Talk about fun! Since I'm the founder/president of the Democrat club at my school I hope that we will also volunteer at the Kerry/Edwards state HQ downtown.
I also volunteered at the Jefferson-Jackson Day dinner the past two years. Two years ago Kerry was the keynote speaker and I sat at a table with his aides and hit it off with one of them and got to meet Kerry after his speech.
This past year at the JJ Dinner Gen. Clark, Al Sharpton, Sen. Kerry, and :love: John Edwards were there. I got to meet all 4, and had my picture taken with Sen. Kerry.

I have already started working for the Democratic Party, both local and national. Right now I got some people to register to vote. Plan to do some work at my hometown Democratic headquarters, doing mailings and phone calls.

I did some work back in '88. Unless you really get involved, the volunteer work is often tedious and somewhat disconnected to the issues of the day.

I spent several months pretty heavily involved in a certain candidate's campaign :shifty: that basically collapsed within a few days. I was waaaaay burnt out and disillusioned for awhile after that.

Just got back into it again.. I signed up with the local Kerry office, not sure what I'm going to do yet.

tiny dancer said:
I have already started working for the Democratic Party, both local and national. Right now I got some people to register to vote. Plan to do some work at my hometown Democratic headquarters, doing mailings and phone calls.

hey Tiny Dancer....is there a deadline to register to vote in PA?

The reason I ask: I did not realize there was a deadline when I moved to Illinois (from Minnesota, where you can register day of), and was unable to vote in the primaries. Now, I may be moving to PA, and want to know before I get there (so I can vote come November).

zoney! said:

hey Tiny Dancer....is there a deadline to register to vote in PA?

The reason I ask: I did not realize there was a deadline when I moved to Illinois (from Minnesota, where you can register day of), and was unable to vote in the primaries. Now, I may be moving to PA, and want to know before I get there (so I can vote come November).

The deadline is October the 4th.

good for you pax, et al

:eyebrow: I just called the Kerry HQ in Manhattan & found out you have to attend a voluteer orientation, you can't walk off the street into the general HQ.

It's [orientation] only once/wk at a time that I have a regular thing to do that might be not so easy to change, so I could go. So I was told to e-m one of the main voluteer maangers to describe my situation.

The very first campaign I ever worked for was the 2nd term of Mayor John Lindsay of NYC. One of 2 rare times I worked for Republican...he was more liberal on some big issues for me than the Demeocrat. I was ?16. There was some looking names up stuff & we once cleared out a messed up vacant lot next to a church in the bronx so it could be made into a playground for the poor neigborhood.

My first Presidential campaign was as a 15 yr old for Hubert Humphery. We had a major School teachers strike, so after having been so emotional wounded by the asassination of Robert F Kennedy [who I had intended to volunteer for "once he won the nomination"}- I decided in those lAST 8 WKS i Had to stop Nixon from becoming Preseident.

One great day was almost 70 degrees first day or so of Nov and we rode around on a flatbed truck all deocrated up & hAD A BAND. We went all around the middle of Mid-mANHATTan stopping at various places, getting off and handing out literasture & buttons. We had signs...i may have made some....

Now ... DON' T Laugh..... I also volunteered for George McGorvern in 1972. I was 19 so I was then qualified as part of the new 18 old vote law to also vote. By the time I got to the hotel at 6PM it was like arriving at a near "death-bed" watch!
It was so depressing I think I i unconciously stopped doing that type of activist work and went into various sort of single-issue semi-activism for many years.

By the time '92 rolled around with reagan/bush I did a bunch of volunteering at Clinton's HQ. Lookinmg up naMES in the phone book, a little data-entry, llooking up names in the phone book mailings .

When they found out I had arti background I did uop a lot of signs for rallies etc. They liked what did SO much they invited me to be on the Decorating Committee to do up the Grand ballroom in one of of the big hotels in Manhattan for election night.

Course I stayed and watched the whole count/It was a blast. :D Also volunteered in 96.

I hoope i can convince the Vol. Coordinator to let me do some interesting stuff perfrer art related

Last edited:
neutral said:
I spent several months pretty heavily involved in a certain candidate's campaign :shifty: that basically collapsed within a few days. I was waaaaay burnt out and disillusioned for awhile after that.

Sounds like Howard Dean's campaign. My cousin worked for Dean in Iowa -- had the same experience. Is working for Feingold in Wisconsin now.

Wish I could volunteer -- my job prevents me from doing so. :(

I read John Lindsay's book about governing NYC when I was in high school. It must have been very cool to meet him.

paxetaurora said:
I read John Lindsay's book about governing NYC when I was in high school. It must have been very cool to meet him.

How interesting that you ended up reading his book for school!:D

Nah, I never did get to meet him, but I saw him up close when he came out of a car to speak somewhere in my {then} neighborhood park or maybe some where else nearby {but he parked at the park's edge.

I believe it had to be the first time he ran {i volunteered for his 2nd campaign}, because there were very few people around the car then, an adult or 2 and a few of us then kids & pre/young teens {i was around 12 yrs}. No Press & no security [esp after 1968] at all then so he could't have been reruning as Mayor at that point.
---------------------------------------

***let's trade interesting campaigning stories if/when we experience them.***

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Zoney, good luck with your move! :up:
Don't know where you'll be but many parts of PA are very beautiful { I've traveled across it by bus}.

================================

U2dem, that's a great story! :D

Go Kerry/Edwards !!!!!!!

<ah luvs playing with color/type et al :D >

Last edited:
Just got OFFICIAL word today about the new job.

I will be based in the Harrisburg area - and will also be in charge of an office in Allentown ("SHOOOK KAW...Lving here in Allentown" - Billy Joel). Pretty excited, but a little intimidated. I will E-mail ya Pax! :D

Back
Top Bottom