Any other former McVomit slaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker

Ye old song of struggle

Old McDonald had a farm
Oh my fucking word.
And on that farm he had some cows;
A really mangy herd.

And he plundered here and he plundered there,
Here, there, every fucking where,

Old McDonald fed his cows,
With diseased sheep’s brains.
And in France they even used

Excrement from drains.

Chorus

Old McDonald slapped his cows,
On some shitty bread.
And when he ran out of cows,
Used half a rat instead.

Chorus

Old McDonald shagged a sheep,
Or so I’ve been told,
But he still cut it up,
And had the fucker sold.

Chorus

Old McDonald spends Billions,
Broadcasting his views,
And if anyone disagrees,
Then the fucker sues.

Chorus

Old McDonald’s up shit creek,
`Cos we’re fighting back,
And if he hears of our plans,
We will get the sack.

Chorus

Old McDonald’s very weak,
When we all unite,
So lets get together now,
And join the workers fight.

Traditional.

I found the above on the net earlier at http://www.mcspotlight.org/campaigns/current/mcsues.html.
It amused me as I used to ework for McDonalds during my A-levels... it was an absolute nightmare and I stuckwith it, parttime, for 2 years.

First, we were expected to work through the night (i.e. from 6pm until 9 or 10 am the next day) WITHOUT ANY BREAK. Which was illegal then as it is now.

Under 18's were not allowed to work nightshifts - but that didn't stop them scheduling us all.

All our store's Health and Safety training records were falsified.

We were paid £2.70 ($5.20)per hour back in 1996 - the company's standard wage for 16 year olds back then. Over 18's were paid £3.00 ($5.77) for doing exactly the same job. I know a lot of companies do this, but iit doesn't make it okay.

The management team thought it would be fun to dock people's wages - just for the hell of it.

anyone else been through similar trauma and lived to tell the tale?

Last edited:
Come on Everybody, Support Brave Multinationals !!!

Im going to drive down to my nearest McDonalds and pick up my Burger with GM lettuce and then come home and play Age of Mythology.

Last edited:
You guys have read Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation" haven't you? Anyobdy who hasn't, this is one of the books that will change your life. It certainly changed mine.

5 years crewperson, 4 years manager.

My experience was nothing like yours. Generally, everything was like the training videos. People got paid albeit minimum wage with raises every 6 months to a year depending on how much you were earning. Raises varied from 35 cents to 10cents an hour. It was lowered in the last few years I worked there. People got their breaks. 15 minutes if you worked more 4 hours, half hour if 5 or 6, 2 20 minutes if 7 or 8 and 10 minutes for every hour past 8 plus OT if you work more than 40 hours in the week. Is it the greatest job in the world, hell, no! But neither is selling sneakers, or clothes at department stores either. All beginner jobs which young people work are not wonderful yet for some reason customers really expect a lot out of these kids. I had customers make my employees feel like shit but then I would make the customers feel like shit when I calmed them down and explained how I would fix the problem and they should treat people with respect and not demean them. Sometimes they would apologize for being idiots. I hated dickheads who would lose it because they got pickles on their mac and freak out at a 16 year old. Grow up. These kids are learning what it is like to experience a job for the first time and make mistakes from time to time. Granted, some people don't give a crap but that happens everywhere in the workplace.

The best part of McD's was meeting so many new people and partying with them. I met hundreds of people during my time there. One guy who we nicknamed Buckwheat wrote about 6 songs regarding McD's. They were hilarious. I used to have them on tape but have since lost them. One was called "I fucked up counter's order, didn't mean to do it, I forgot to cue it" sung to Billy Joel's " We didn't start the fire". It was amazing. We organized softball tournaments in the summers between each store, football games, swimming, movie nights, barbecues, etc. We had a lot of fun.

I guess your experiences depend on the owners and other employees. My was generally positive. One thing McD's teaches any employee is how to handle stress, how to multitask and think fast on your feet. You learn to deal with all these issues during a 99cent Big Mac sale during a Friday supper hour. Good work ethic, responsibility, and teamwork are other skills acquired by employees who have worked there. Unless you are a lazy person who doesn't take pride or care about anything you do and take advantage of not having any work to do.

McDonald's corporation is scummy just like other multinationals but don't paint everyone who works there with the same brush. There are good McD's and bad McD's, you just gotta sort em out. I would hire an ex-McD employee with a good reference any day of the week.

Although I don't eat there or any fastfood unless I am on a roadtrip.

During the time I worked there, I was not worried about all the social issues associated with such a place, I needed a job during my schooling and it fit the bill so I guess I was implicit in fattening our society, oh well. I'm over it. I'm not defending Rotten Rons, I'm just saying my experience working at multiple stores owned by one private owner in my case was a good one. Maybe I was just lucky.

Peace out.

Last edited:
trevster2k said:

I guess your experiences depend on the owners and other employees. My was generally positive. One thing McD's teaches any employee is how to handle stress, how to multitask and think fast on your feet. You learn to deal with all these issues during a 99cent Big Mac sale during a Friday supper hour. Good work ethic, responsibility, and teamwork are other skills acquired by employees who have worked there. Unless you are a lazy person who doesn't take pride or care about anything you do and take advantage of not having any work to do.

McDonald's corporation is scummy just like other multinationals but don't paint everyone who works there with the same brush. There are good McD's and bad McD's, you just gotta sort em out. I would hire an ex-McD employee with a good reference any day of the week.
:wink:

I'm not arguing with any of the points you just made - I'm very glad to hear that someone had fun working there. I know what you mean about the stores beng busy - we used to have queues to the back of the restaurant even when all 25 tills were on.

I'm a Store Manager myself (not for Macs, thank Christ) and I agree that if people aren't motivated they shouldn't be there. I also know that some customers can be complete and utter shits.

I'm not saying that all employees had the same experience... just wondered if there was anyone else about who'd been there.

Originally posted by trevster2k
During the time I worked there, I was not worried about all the social issues associated with such a place, I needed a job during my schooling and it fit the bill so I guess I was implicit in fattening our society, oh well. I'm over it.

Me too. I peronally am of the opinion that the majority of us are perfectly capable of deciding what to eat, without being mollycoddled by the nanny state.

Last edited:
Sally, I know you weren't saying it sucked for everyone nor am I saying it was great for everyone. We are part of a brotherhood(sisterhood) of millions of people who have worked for that company. I'm sure many people don't want to admit either. I always said I would never work there but hey, you need money when you are 16 years old.:wink:

Mollycoddled, what a great word. I gotta use that somewhere this week.:wink:

trevster2k said:
Sally, I know you weren't saying it sucked for everyone nor am I saying it was great for everyone. We are part of a brotherhood(sisterhood) of millions of people who have worked for that company. I'm sure many people don't want to admit either. I always said I would never work there but hey, you need money when you are 16 years old.:wink:

Agreed. I didn't mean to sounds over defensive - haven't slept in over 48 hourse, and I think my brain said goodnight at about midday!

Back
Top Bottom