Any other Democrats sick of the Bush-bashing? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Any other Democrats sick of the Bush-bashing?

I can't vote yet, but if I could've, I'd have voted for Kerry. I didn't want to go into Iraq, and think Bush should've have sought more advice on post-war planning. When I hear him speak in candid interviews (few and far between, those) I have to doubt his personal intelligence, at least in the art of speech.

I don't like his designs on social security, because I don't think a two-tiered system will help anyone but the wealthy.

I strongly disagree with him on moral issues, such as gay rights and abortion. I find him a little arrogant, and (right or wrong) roll my eyes when I hear him talking about how his faith helps him in office, etc.

But--and I'd like to know if anyone agrees with me-- I'm getting a little sick of people making him out to be a ruthless dictator. When people talk about how he's murdering innocent civilians in the Iraqi Bloodbath, I wonder if they've ever heard of Saddam Hussein. He's the guy who used to be there, and he liked gassing people for fun. Obviously oil and other US interests played a role, but someone please tell me having Saddam in a cell is a negative. From what I've heard from people who WERE THERE, the majority of Iraqis were thankful for what we did. Yes, they want us out. That's because they have *pride* and nobody wants to be liberated.

So stop acting like Bush is Hitler. My great-grandfather had 10 little brothers and sisters slaughtered at Dachau, and I think the comparisons are absurd and offensive.

I've got tons of other examples, but I guess my point is that I'm sick of people (often from other countries) demonizing Bush and making the Iraq war out to be Rwanda. Of course corporate interests and US interests are involved in decisions, but a) it's always been like that in the presidency and b) it's the same for every other country in the world. In most countries, the leadership is far more corrupt/abusive.

And I'm not saying there shouldn't be dissent just 'cos its not the DRofC...I love a good debate although I'd probably get my ass whooped on here. Just stop with the Hitler comparisons already.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I don't like the guy or his policies, but I don't think I'd label him a "ruthless dictator"-maybe by 08

I have some personal feelings about the war that I don't want to talk about, but I just wish we could bring everyone home and there would be no more deaths on either side.

And I'm so sorry about the family members you lost in the Holocaust

Old 04-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:57 AM
What, Chimpy McHitlerburton is just a figment of some deranged fringe crowd ~ well I never
Old 04-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 AM

you are right, W did not exterminate 6 million Jews.

AND

by comparison he is better than Saddam Hussien.

thanks, if you frame it that way I can agree with your conclusions.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 PM
I don't think an apt comparison of Bushie is Hitler...I think it's some nameless dimwit.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 09:57 PM
the reason the world hates bush and his administration is that he gave the rest of the world the finger and attacked another country out of the blue, with fabricated evidence.

but i agree that what is done is done, and its pointless to look back. US should leave iraq as soon as possible, and should stop starting stupid wars. the democrats should get their act together and win the 2008 elections. i bet the world will be rooting for it by then. bush will be remembered as the worst president who occupied the white house. only history will be the judge of his actions - because no one else is.

i stand by my opinion though - right now, america is ran by greedy, self righteous idiots.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
the reason the world hates bush and his administration is that he gave the rest of the world the finger and attacked another country out of the blue, with fabricated evidence.
"Out of the blue" would be if Bush just up and decided to attack Canada. Saddam was given 17 UN resolutions which he somehow failed to keep, murdered hundreds of thousands of his own people a year, and was warned repeatedly to shape up, and yet you call it "out of the blue".
Old 04-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 PM
I think comparisons between Hitler and Bush are completely nonsensical and irrational.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

VertigoGal, I'm sorry for your family's loss. My grandfather served when he was 18 years old during WWII and was part of the group who discovered and liberated (what very little was left of) the Nordhausen camp. He and his peers were responsible for the burrial of over 2000 corpses and helping the few living who remained. His personal photographs from the ordeal are sickening and have haunted me since I first saw them as a child. I agree, Bush-Hitler comparisons are pretty out of line.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

"Out of the blue" would be if Bush just up and decided to attack Canada. Saddam was given 17 UN resolutions which he somehow failed to keep, murdered hundreds of thousands of his own people a year, and was warned repeatedly to shape up, and yet you call it "out of the blue".
When he said "out of the blue" i think he meant that Saddam Hussein has been a brutal dictator that murdered people for years....yet Bush didn't attack until 2003, his third year of presidency. That's why it seems 'out of the blue'. There was no specific incident that sparked them to go to war, like Pearl Harbor (for WWII) or 9/11 (for Afghanistan).
Old 04-19-2005, 07:12 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:57 PM
I agree with a lot of what VertigoGal is saying. It's good that most on HERE would not reduce their argument to such a vague conclusion as Bush = Hitler, and aren't afraid to give it a little thought.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

you are right, W did not exterminate 6 million Jews.

AND

by comparison he is better than Saddam Hussien.

thanks, if you frame it that way I can agree with your conclusions.
I've read enough of your posts to make me think this statement might be a little sarcastic (sorry if I misread that though)

I'm not saying, "Be happy you're not in Sudan, and stop complaining!" Obviously we have to keep complaining aka debating, or we *will* be in Sudan, Nazi Germany, whatever. I just don't see why Bush is so different from Chirac or any other world leader. Chirac didn't want to go in because it wasn't in the interest of him or his country. More people were dying under Saddam and under the sanctions than have in the war, so I guess that puts blood on Chriac's hands due to corporate interests (oil)?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 AM
do you know the real costs of this Iraq war?

will the out come be worth the costs in dollars and blood?

you said you are too young to vote

perhaps this has no effect on you now

you will be paying for decades

trade offs have been made that will effect you.

and bush is THAT MUCH WORSE than any other president.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:27 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

could you go into a little more detail?

and yeah I can't vote, but obviously my generation's gonna be footing the bill for a lot of this, not to mention the defecit and social security. I understand that.

but what trade-offs, etc are you talking about?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 11:57 AM
wink

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

"Out of the blue" would be if Bush just up and decided to attack Canada.
We'd whoop your ass!

Bush isnt Hitler and really anyone that says that is a dummy. But he is hated more then many of the other presidents that came before him. In Canada he is a real joke, people hate him, and unfortuneatly that is being translated into people hating the US in general. I would never consider moving to the States, for the reason that I just think Canada is much better, but that doesnt mean i think all Americans are evil people. On the whole Americans are good people that look after themselves and do a good job of it.

Canada is liberal on the whole compared to Bush and thats why so many dont like him, not to mention that he never even came to Canada till after his second election, imagine two neighbours with the biggest free border in the world and he doesnt even step foot up here for over 4 years.

He's not Hitler, defineatly, but he does stir anger and hate amoungest people around the world.