anti-war supporters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gickies Gageeze

Purgatory
well we tried. however way we did, we did try.

was it for nothing? nah. did it send a message? not the people that mattered most, but i think it did send a message to everyone else that the international community can bond together on some issues of mass importance.

what do we do now?

i dont know.

do you?

I don't know. Personally I feel increasingly nervous about the future.

I will say it was amazing seeing so many peace protests everywhere on Feb 15 (including Ljubljana and Maribor here in Slovenia), unfortunately civilians don't have much power when it comes to peace/war decisions...

Well, call me bitter and call me biased; I will plead guilty as charged. However, I plan to sit back and pray as the world's greatest power makes another mistake.

Unfortunately, as it will be a victory in the short run, the repurcussions of what occurs now won't be fully appreciate until perhaps one or two decades. I will wait all this time only to throw it back in politicians' faces when they plan to attack another country. It could well be Iraq, again.

Ant.

I will pray with you all. War is not anything anyone I know wants. I know I am probably labeled pro-war....but I am sending my prayers as well.

Gickies Gageeze said:
what do we do now?

i dont know.

do you?

I do feel like there is a revolution coming, but slowly and quietly. A few years ago, it was the anti-globalization movement that united people around the world, and now it is a fight for peace. We will see where the time takes us, but in the bottom of my heart, I think that this new brand of corporate and political imperialism will reap what it has sown. Maybe not tomorrow, but someday. Maybe in the course of our lifetimes.

I pray for all those who are afraid, for all those who will be moving on to a world much better than our own.

Re: Re: anti-war supporters

anitram said:

I do feel like there is a revolution coming, but slowly and quietly. A few years ago, it was the anti-globalization movement that united people around the world, and now it is a fight for peace. We will see where the time takes us, but in the bottom of my heart, I think that this new brand of corporate and political imperialism will reap what it has sown. Maybe not tomorrow, but someday. Maybe in the course of our lifetimes.

I pray for all those who are afraid, for all those who will be moving on to a world much better than our own.

Very well said! My prayers are for the Iraqi people and our men and women in the military.

Anthony said:
Well, call me bitter and call me biased; I will plead guilty as charged. However, I plan to sit back and pray as the world's greatest power makes another mistake.

Unfortunately, as it will be a victory in the short run, the repurcussions of what occurs now won't be fully appreciate until perhaps one or two decades. I will wait all this time only to throw it back in politicians' faces when they plan to attack another country. It could well be Iraq, again.

Ant.

Well said.

What do I plan to do now?

Just hope that this whole thing goes quickly and keep the soldiers on both sides (I don't show any anger toward the Iraqi soldiers-they're defending their country-that's something anyone would do. And I really admire those who have surrendered-they're figuring that even if the rest of us all go and fight, they end on a peaceful note), as well as the civilians of Iraq, in my thoughts. I realize there will be some loss of life. I just hope it's not big on either side.

And I just pray that Bush will not do some other incredibly stupid thing that will really screw us over.

Angela

Dreadsox said:
I will pray with you all. War is not anything anyone I know wants. I know I am probably labeled pro-war....but I am sending my prayers as well.

dreadsox, you have always appeared to me like you supported war if necessary but you never were/are presented yourself to be a "warmonger."

there is a HUGE difference. and i can definately respect that. :up:

i hope that makes sense.

Re: Re: anti-war supporters

anitram said:

yes, i agree.

a new world order. its something many have talked about for a while, and its not just your "typical hippie" bullshit either.

something else i hope for is that in the next few weeks as this war progresses, i hope we can still be civil to each other in here, regardless of beliefs. i would hate to see people rip each other to shreds. i hope that there is still some sort of mutual respect...

totally. i know ive crossed the line many a time, but while im apologetic for it, i am not at all sorry for my comments directed at some of the more rediculously outspoken members of the community. it appears as though theyre asking for a full-onslaught of critiscm.

why am i saying "theyre." its one person that im thinking of.

nevertheless remaining civil should be a goal of everyones. and in fact, i plan on removing myself from these stupid message boards now (free your mind), until i cant hack it anymore.

i did it for a year and a half, i dont see why it should be a problem now. :wink:

What do we do now?

Keep protesting. Here's a small, simple thing you can do...

Dear friend,

I'm writing to ask you to join me in signing a Citizens'
Declaration reaffirming our commitment to international
cooperation.

The outbreak of war is not the end of the fight for
peace -- only the beginning. Around the globe, people
are joining together in the declaration below. We will
be announcing it in a press conference on Friday, and
we need your help to make it as big as possible.

Signing up will only take a minute of your time, but it'll
send a message that the momentum built through our opposition
to war in Iraq will only keep growing.

You can sign up at:

http://www.moveon.org/declaration/

Here's the text of the Declaration:

------------

A CITIZENS' DECLARATION

As a US-led invasion of Iraq begins,
we, the undersigned citizens of many countries,
reaffirm our commitment to addressing international
conflicts through the rule of law and the United Nations.

By joining together across countries and continents,
we have emerged as a new force for peace.
As we grieve for the victims of this war,
we pledge to redouble our efforts to put an end to the Bush
Administration's doctrine of pre-emptive attack and
the reckless use of military power.

------------

Thank you.

I offer a prayer of peace and sanity. I think anitram is right, that the globalists will ultimately reap what they sow.

peace out.

Gickies Gageeze said:

dreadsox, you have always appeared to me like you supported war if necessary but you never were/are presented yourself to be a "warmonger."

there is a HUGE difference. and i can definately respect that. :up:

i hope that makes sense.

It does, and I agree. It's very important to understand that, I think.

Originally posted by anitram

I do feel like there is a revolution coming, but slowly and quietly. A few years ago, it was the anti-globalization movement that united people around the world, and now it is a fight for peace. We will see where the time takes us, but in the bottom of my heart, I think that this new brand of corporate and political imperialism will reap what it has sown. Maybe not tomorrow, but someday. Maybe in the course of our lifetimes

Yes, nothing lasts forever. Systems do come and go.
What exactly do you think would replace the world order?

Perle

Last edited:
I hope that now we can all support our efforts to take a maniacal leader out of power. Support our troops, there are so many people fighting for our country that and risking thier lives over there. And regardless of what you may think they are doing it for us.
I have a cousin in Saudi Arabia right now and I am praying for him constantly, I am also praying that our world leaders make wise decisions throughout this conflict.
So, i will ask that even if you dont support the war on terroism, please support the men and women of our military as they embark on thier mission.

-EP

Elvis Presley said:
I hope that now we can all support our efforts to take a maniacal leader out of power. Support our troops, there are so many people fighting for our country that and risking thier lives over there. And regardless of what you may think they are doing it for us.
I have a cousin in Saudi Arabia right now and I am praying for him constantly, I am also praying that our world leaders make wise decisions throughout this conflict.
So, i will ask that even if you dont support the war on terroism, please support the men and women of our military as they embark on thier mission.

-EP

:up: Definitely. 100% I'd personally have gone about removing Saddam much differently, but our troops regardless deserve all our support and respect. They are performing their duty, and have pledged their lives for their Country.

Last edited:
EP:
I think that sums up everything that has been said tonight. :up: I'm praying for the troops and hope they'll come home safely and soon.

yes pray for their safety, but to me their lives are on par with everyone elses. to somehow have no casualties from this would be fantastic. soldiers and civilians, i hope nothing for the best for everyone.

PEACE

so is now a time to cease criticism or debate about the righteousness of this war?

senator mccain was on CNN saying so...

while the troops should be supported, passivity is a dangerous stance. healthy skepticism and criticism are neccessary.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

We hope and we pray.

Yes. We did what we could do. We did our best and that's all anyone can ask. Now I am praying the rosary, praying for minimal bloodshed and a quick end to the conflict. Again, it's the best I can do, and that's all anyone can ask.

Today's worldwide protests have begun:

Athens, Greece:

lthumb.1048178407.greece_antiwar__iraq_war_ath110.jpg

Thessaloniki, Greece:

lthumb.1048178320.greece_antiwar_iraq_war_xng101.jpg

Madrid, Spain:

lthumb.1048177609.spain_antiwar_iraq_xsl101.jpg

Multan, Pakistan:

lthumb.1048176141.topix_pakistan_antiwar_iraq_war_xisl102.jpg

Ankara, Turkey:

1048175752.3489751133.jpg

Venice, Italy: