anti-war supporters - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2003, 11:42 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:04 PM
I'll tell you one thing I am going to do to lodge protest. Vote against Bush next year.

Old 03-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
I haven't heard any stories of violence at anti-war rallies so far.

If there was any, though, then, yeah, that does kinda contradict what they're protesting.

Angela
One persons's protest is another person's violence. No one will deny the right of free speech. But, in increasing number, protestors seem more than willing to deprive others of rights to voice their opinion. The liberty of many were deprived when the protest message turned from "No War" to "Stop Traffic".

Old 03-21-2003, 12:05 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 03:04 AM
Thank god the anit-war protesters didn't get their way. I just saw a news clip of a southern Iraq town that had just been liberated and the Iraqi people were very happy and smiling and dancing. Now if this is going to be the type of thing we see million fold when Iraq is liberate, a grateful, happy population then this makes it all worthwhile for me, I even had a lump in my throat as I watched!
Old 03-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Exactly, if Iraq had the freedoms we (and I mean all the above -countries - who have the right to speak out and protest aganist their governments, or in most cases the US) do, there would have been no need for this war or this thread for that matter. Imagin that for a moment..None of this happening because the Iraqi people were able to protest aganist and oust Saddam..
Old 03-22-2003, 03:04 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

One persons's protest is another person's violence. No one will deny the right of free speech. But, in increasing number, protestors seem more than willing to deprive others of rights to voice their opinion. The liberty of many were deprived when the protest message turned from "No War" to "Stop Traffic".
Someone I admire very much said:

We have the right to a freedom of speech, but nowhere in the Constitution does it say we have a right to an audience."

I will now say what is on my mind. These people are not excercising their rights. They are disturbing the peace and should be arrested. God forbid someone needs an abulance or help. THey are boarderline un-American in my book.

I do not think I have used those words in this forum ever. There is a big difference between standing on a soap box having a rally in Boston Common, and the crap I am seeing on TV.

Peace
Old 03-22-2003, 04:51 PM   #51
New Yorker

I don't think blocking city streets with a march or building is evil or Unamerican. It was ultimately stopped the Vietnam war. I think it is very AMERICAN to protest.

I did my share today and will continue to do so, if only to show the international community that not all American's support Bush's "operation". He doesn't even have the guts to call it war.

The protest in other parts of the world are much more violent than what I've seen reported here. With the rampant unAmericanism that is growing I'm not surprised. Over 1/2 M in the UK bigger than the one a few weeks ago.
With what LITTLE I've seen. CNN can hardly even tear itself away from picture of Bagdad to show pictures of US protest. Jordanian TV did a much better job.

PS. My loud U2 SBS's is disturbing the peace too.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:57 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
I think it is very AMERICAN to protest.
I agree.

Tell that to the people voting in the MSN poll, though-the question was whether or not war protests were anti-American-the majority of the people voting said yes.

Damnit, I am NOT "anti-American" simply because I do not agree with Bush sending us to war! Argh!

When will people get that through their heads?

Quote:
You know what, it's amazing-I listened to War the other night-it's freaky how much the first four songs in particular on that album fit so perfectly with what's going on now.

I played SBS during the anti-war protest that I was at. .

Angela
Old 03-22-2003, 05:00 PM   #53
New Yorker

I takes a second to say goodbye, say goodby oh, oh, oh, oh.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:04 PM
I think the whole labeling of things as "un-American" is ridiculous. There are plenty of abhorant behaviors that could be considered the exercise of free speech or personal liberty. Going after protestors as "un-American" is an unncessary, worthless detour.

I think a lot of the debate over the protesting is wrapped up in partisian politics. With a strong majority of Americans supporting the war, there is a great divide along party lines. From what I recall, 95% of Republicans support the war effort by 95%, while only 37% of Democrats support the war.

The war gives us a focal point for expressing our dissatisfaction with the status quo. Some sentiments are against any form of war. Some are against an non-UN approved war. Some are against a GWB led war. Some are against "globalization" or the unparalleled influence the US has in the world.

Protest as you desire, but please respect the rights of others, including individual's personal liberty as you try to shut down streets and access to buildings.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:46 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

a genuine concern i have about these large protests is the safety and security issue. we're at war and we're at high alert. we're told that there is a decent chance that another attack could occur within our borders. i fear that because the police are busy watching over these protests, they aren't watching over the rest of the city. here in chicago it took an insane amount of cops to control a protest that took over lake shore drive. it was ludicrous. what if some terrorist or saddam sympathizer decided to profit from the distraction and blow something up? the cops have much bigger things to worry about than babysitting 1000s of protesters. i'm all for freedom of speech, and i don't believe the war/peace dialogue should simply end because we're now at war. i just don't like idea of it possibly having a detrimental effect on homeland security.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:00 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I don't think blocking city streets with a march or building is evil or Unamerican. It was ultimately stopped the Vietnam war. I think it is very AMERICAN to protest.

I did my share today and will continue to do so, if only to show the international community that not all American's support Bush's "operation". He doesn't even have the guts to call it war.

The protest in other parts of the world are much more violent than what I've seen reported here. With the rampant unAmericanism that is growing I'm not surprised. Over 1/2 M in the UK bigger than the one a few weeks ago.
With what LITTLE I've seen. CNN can hardly even tear itself away from picture of Bagdad to show pictures of US protest. Jordanian TV did a much better job.

I am sorry, but when people are trying to close down the highway...that is not a lawful protest.

When people are organized and protesting and having a lawful rally that is one thing. I have seen that on TV too.

Don't misunderstand what I meant.

Peace
Old 03-22-2003, 06:02 PM   #57
New Yorker

Quote:
I think the whole labeling of things as "un-American" is ridiculous. There are plenty of abhorant behaviors that could be considered the exercise of free speech or personal liberty. Going after protestors as "un-American" is an unncessary, worthless detour.

I think a lot of the debate over the protesting is wrapped up in partisian politics. With a strong majority of Americans supporting the war, there is a great divide along party lines. From what I recall, 95% of Republicans support the war effort by 95%, while only 37% of Democrats support the war.

The war gives us a focal point for expressing our dissatisfaction with the status quo. Some sentiments are against any form of war. Some are against an non-UN approved war. Some are against a GWB led war. Some are against "globalization" or the unparalleled influence the US has in the world.

Protest as you desire, but please respect the rights of others, including individual's personal liberty as you try to shut down streets and access to buildings.
I'm sure part of it is wrapped in partisan politics if only because the Democrats try to be the party of the people, appropriate or not. While the Republicans try to be the "I wish it was like Leave it to Beaver Party". But if you look at the new Budget, Bush is actually increasing funds for bombs while simultaneousley decreasing money for our service men and their families.

I do so agree with you on the personal liberty issue. That said, huge protest worldwide didn't affect the UK (beLIEve me TB will feel the pain) or the US so many feel more drastic measures are necessary. I've seen Gandhi's form of protest used and I think that is the way to go for us here in the US.

I don't condone what's happening across the globe, but again I'm not surprised. People don't want war anymore, plain and simple. It doesn't matter why.

I'm very happy that the citizens of Iraq (some) seem to feel liberated, I'm not happy with my nations methods to achieve it.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:05 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Damnit, I am NOT "anti-American" simply because I do not agree with Bush sending us to war! Argh!

When will people get that through their heads?
Never said that and I believe in the right to freedom of speech and to bring grievences to the governement.

That is not what I have seen in Boston recently, nor is it what I have seen on TV.

I did not sign my name on the line to protect your right to protest when I joined the military to watch people illegally block streets and highways. Quite possibly, blocking abulances and fire trucks from getting to where they need to be.

I bleive in the right to protest in a lawful manner. What I have been witnessing in SOME cases is anything but that.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:07 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
It is an opinion. It is mine, I stand by it.

Maybe the ambulance I saw in Boston, not able to get where it needed to should have just looked for a detour. It needed one.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:11 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

While the Republicans try to be the "I wish it was like Leave it to Beaver Party".
I want to be Eddie Haskel.