anti-Moslem attacks increase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
This scares the hell out of me.

Updated 3:32 PM ET March 18, 2003

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Hate crimes against Arab-Americans have increased in the run-up to a possible war with Iraq, said a group that has begun distributing to Muslim communities across the country safety lists that include tips on how to deal with bomb threats.

"People are scared out there," Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said on Tuesday. "There have already been a number of attacks on Muslims and Islamic centers."

Among other incidents, projectiles were shot at a mosque in Chicago, shattering a window while people were praying, and a Muslim father and his sons were attacked in New Jersey by people who shouted, "go home terrorist," Hooper said.

"We've really seen an increase in these kind of things since the pro-war rhetoric has really heated up," he said. "Add to that the existing anti-Muslim rhetoric and the combination is really volatile."

The FBI last week warned U.S. law enforcement officials that hate crimes against Arab-Americans could increase if the U.S. went to war with Iraq or if there was another attack on the United States.

The bureau noted the Sept. 11, 2001, hijacked airline attacks on the United States sparked an increase in hate crimes against Arab-Americans and Muslims as well as Americans of Indian, Sikh and other ethnicities.

At the top of the list distributed by the group to mosques and Islamic centers is the advice: report suspicious activity in your community.

The kit includes a list of rights for employees, students and airline passengers as well as information on how to deal with hate crimes or discrimination.

It suggests that mosques invite their neighbors to visit.

A "bomb threat check list," which the group advises users keep near the phone, has questions to ask when receiving a threat, such as "Why did you place the bomb?" and tips on how to compile a description of the caller's voice.

The article is a warning, but there have been concrete reports of attacks on Arab-Americans and others of Asiatic origin/extraction since 9/11. There was a vicious killing of a Sikh in Arizona right after the attack and this was passionately denounced by Sen. McCain. Other attacks against these people occurred and now is certainly not the time for them to drop their vigilance.

There was a man in Texas who killed several gas station attendants after 9/11 because they "looked Muslim" including an Asian man wearing a turban.

This is why I love living in NYC. We may not like each other but the nature of this city requires us to at least respect each other. Don't know if there are any other cities in this country that are so diverse and understanding of different races, ethnicities and religions.

Believe me, it's more common then you think... Being a Muslim, every other person that I know has faced a lot of harrasment.. My family and I experience it alot... I know people who have been physically assaulted... You guys don't hear much about it, but shit is happening... racial discrimination..
At our Islamic Center, police surround the place and check all the cars... Now, i don't totally blame people for being sooo scared... and I'm not suprised by the raise is profiling... But, at the same time, people should take the time out to get to know their Muslim brother and sisters and realize that most of them hold beautiful values...
We should treat eachother with care and understanding.. This goes for everyone in the world...

PS- I am sick and tired of people targeting, beating, and harassing women with Scarfs (hijabs) and men with turbans... It has happend a lot... And it needs to stop.. If we are such a developed country, then lets act like it and stop this ignorence.

Lets be Anti-Ignorent

Amna said:
[B
PS- I am sick and tired of people targeting, beating, and harassing women with Scarfs (hijabs) and men with turbans... It has happend a lot... And it needs to stop.. If we are such a developed country, then lets act like it and stop this ignorence.

Lets be Anti-Ignorent [/B]

I agree. All of this hate and ignorance has got to be stopped. I'm disgusted at the attacks on women wearing scarves and men wearing turbans.........idiots............:madspit: :mad: :censored: :scream:

Amna said:
... But, at the same time, people should take the time out to get to know their Muslim brother and sisters and realize that most of them hold beautiful values...
We should treat eachother with care and understanding.. This goes for everyone in the world...

Lets be Anti-Ignorent

Unfortunately, most people in this country are not like you. And they don't change. There is hatred everywhere, whether its Israel and its Arab neighbors, Catholics or Protestants, or Muslims in America.

The only way to change this is to live by example. And sometimes that isn't even enough. I wish it was.

Live your life the way you believe is right and hopefully your example will set a precedent for others to follow.

And Amna, you don't post here much do you? you should. you sounded more intelligent than most people here [myself included].

Amna said:
Believe me, it's more common then you think... Being a Muslim, every other person that I know has faced a lot of harrasment.. My family and I experience it alot... I know people who have been physically assaulted... You guys don't hear much about it, but shit is happening... racial discrimination..

That's horrible.

When will people grow up?

Originally posted by Amna
At our Islamic Center, police surround the place and check all the cars... Now, i don't totally blame people for being sooo scared... and I'm not suprised by the raise is profiling... But, at the same time, people should take the time out to get to know their Muslim brother and sisters and realize that most of them hold beautiful values...

Exactly.

I know we're scared, but being suspicious of all Muslims, of all people of Middle Eastern descent-that's just wrong. That's not fair.

Especially when we've had a couple of terrorists within our own country-anyone remember Timothy McVeigh or the Unabomber?

And yet for some reason, we're not profiling people who look and act like them. They're the right color, apparently. :rolleyes:.

It's not fair-not to you or to anyone else.

PS- I am sick and tired of people targeting, beating, and harassing women with Scarfs (hijabs) and men with turbans... It has happend a lot...

Awful. :tsk:.

And it needs to stop.. If we are such a developed country, then lets act like it and stop this ignorence.

Exactly.

By our treating people who look a certain way the wrong way, we are no better than the other countries who treat each other that way.

How are we supposed to fight for human rights in other countries when we can't even enforce those same human rights in our own country?

People just need to grow up and get a life.

Lets be Anti-Ignorent

Amen.

Angela

Vandals Attack Copy of Statue of Liberty in France

Reuters
Wednesday, March 26, 2003; 1:47 PM

BORDEAUX, France (Reuters) - Vandals attacked a copy of the Statue of Liberty in the southern French town of Bordeaux, spraying it with red paint and setting fire to it, the mayor's office said on Wednesday.

They also cracked a plaque on the statue commemorating the victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks on U.S. cities. Police have launched a probe into the overnight attack.

The 7 1/2-foot-tall copy of the famous statue given by France to the United States in 1886 was erected in Bordeaux in 2000.

Tensions between France and the United States have been on the rise since France refused to support the U.S.-led attack on Iraq. There have been calls in the United States for a boycott of French products, such as wine and luxury goods.

Last week anti-war demonstrators in Paris smashed the windows of a branch of the fast-food chain McDonald's, spraying obscenities and "boycott" on the building.

The Bordeaux statue erected in 2000 replaced a bronze version of the Statue of Liberty by the original architect, Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, which was destroyed during World War II.

Back
Top Bottom