Anti-male prejudice / bigotry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A Qantas spokesman confirmed the Australian airline, which operates domestic flights in New Zealand, does not allow unaccompanied children to sit next to men. The spokesman said the airline believed it was what customers wanted.

Ms Paul said Air New Zealand tried to seat children near a crew area so crew could keep an eye on them and, when possible, children were seated next to an empty seat. "Sometimes this isn't possible, so the preference is to seat a female passenger next door to an unaccompanied minor."
It certainly sounds discriminatory, though it's a bit hard to evaluate without knowing more about what went into the airlines' decision process. For example, were they going on vague speculation that men are somehow more dangerous to children (in ways pertinent to the situation), or were they looking at research suggesting most children feel more comfortable around female strangers than male ones, etc. (Though even if the latter were true, it would hardly seem reasonable grounds for a categorical ban--as opposed to a 'preference,' such as they currently have for seating children next to no-one.)

Personally, I couldn't care less about the sex of whomever might sit next to my children, but I would want to know that they were somewhere where crew could keep an eye on them, especially after landing.
The incident, which happened a year ago, irked Mr Worsley so much that he recently contacted National Party political correctness eradicator Wayne Mapp.
This is probably a stupid question...but is that an actual job title?

Nice to see straight men get a little dose of homophobia for once.

Melon

I wish they would implement that policy in the States. Thers is nothing worse than having to sit next to or around children on a flight.

mattgerth said:
I wish they would implement that policy in the States. Thers is nothing worse than having to sit next to or around children on a flight.

LOL...it's true. :reject:

Melon

melon said:
Nice to see straight men get a little dose of homophobia for once.

Melon

Yes, because it's well known that 2 wrongs DO make a right.....

i'm really not surprised.

i've taught swimming lessons for years, and i've taught pre-school, and both times i was warned -- strictly off the record, and before i was "out" -- that i should never, ever put myself in any sort of situation where anything remotely questionable could be inferred into the situation. you learn how to give one-armed shoulder hugs, to make sure that your hands are visible at all times (and this can be difficult when you're trying to help a 7 year old swim a lap in the big pool or trying to correct a breaststroke kick).

it's a dose of reality that men have to face, straight or gay.

U2Scot said:
Yes, because it's well known that 2 wrongs DO make a right.....

You beat me to it.

It is also well known that homophobia is fact the ONLY form of prejudice in the world.

Irvine511 said:
i'm really not surprised.

i've taught swimming lessons for years, and i've taught pre-school, and both times i was warned -- strictly off the record, and before i was "out" -- that i should never, ever put myself in any sort of situation where anything remotely questionable could be inferred into the situation. you learn how to give one-armed shoulder hugs, to make sure that your hands are visible at all times (and this can be difficult when you're trying to help a 7 year old swim a lap in the big pool or trying to correct a breaststroke kick).

it's a dose of reality that men have to face, straight or gay.

I've seen similar or even stricter "policies" given to both men and women - but the higher scrutiny does fall on men.

Well, if it makes you men feel any better, I've had a lot of female professors who've done their time in the business world basically give us "lessons" on how we have to dress and act if we're working around mostly men. Like if we wear a skirt (a nice one, I'm not talking about leather minis) or blouse, but the men are all wearing nice pants/suit outfit, we should assume that our clothes are intended to be a come-on and instead have to also wear black pants and a suit so it's less noticable that we're female.

:tsk:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Well, if it makes you men feel any better, I've had a lot of female professors who've done their time in the business world basically give us "lessons" on how we have to dress and act if we're working around mostly men. Like if we wear a skirt (a nice one, I'm not talking about leather minis) or blouse, but the men are all wearing nice pants/suit outfit, we should assume that our clothes are intended to be a come-on and instead have to also wear black pants and a suit so it's less noticable that we're female.

:tsk:

The women in my work are expected to look professional; the men wear jeans, t-shirts and sneakers. No kidding. And I work for one of the most liberal and progressive organizations I've ever heard of in this country. After a lunch meeting, the men leave the room and the women clean up. We just deal with it because it is such an otherwise amazing place to work with perks I now find I can't live without, lol. Some traditions are so deep, though, I don't know if they will ever change. Sort of a digression I guess...

joyfulgirl said:
Oh boo hoo. Poor men, lol.

well ... okay, on the whole i agree with you, but it's never a nice thing to have to work under the assumption that you are a potential child molestor.

and, where i work, everyone dresses-down competitively. we all wear jeans, but cool jeans, with vintage/ironic t-shirts and blazers and converse and funky scarfs. the women can get very agressive about who has the better BoHo dumpster-chic clothes and accessories.

but then again, i have a "creative job."

Irvine511 said:

well ... okay, on the whole i agree with you, but it's never a nice thing to have to work under the assumption that you are a potential child molestor.

Of course not. I am not in favor of this policy. Yet given how it's been men who have subjected others to discrimination throughout history, I just can't get all that upset when it is reversed on them. Fair to all the wonderful men who do not discriminate and in fact defend others against discrimination? Of course not. Can I argue against this policy? Absolutely. But I guess overall I don't care that much. Sorry. :reject:

joyfulgirl said:

Of course not. I am not in favor of this policy. Yet given how it's been men who have subjected others to discrimination throughout history, I just can't get all that upset when it is reversed on them. Fair to all the wonderful men who do not discriminate and in fact defend others against discrimination? Of course not. Can I argue against this policy? Absolutely. But I guess overall I don't care that much. Sorry. :reject:

oh, i generally agree -- in the grand scheme of things, it ain't such a thing. i think the reason it is of note is that it is someone who is discriminating against men, for a change.

if it were men discriminating aganist someone else, it wouldn't be news.

I think you're all reading this the wrong way.

It's actually a continuation of discrimination against women. Now we're gonna be stuck sitting to somebody's annoying, screaming brats on a 10 hour flight. Great. :mad:

anitram said:
I think you're all reading this the wrong way.

It's actually a continuation of discrimination against women. Now we're gonna be stuck sitting to somebody's annoying, screaming brats on a 10 hour flight. Great. :mad:

:lmao:

And you know, even the best kid is going to be annoying on a long flight without his/her parents.

Isn't there some way the airline can just stow them with the luggage or something? :wink:

:lol:

Actually I've sat beside kids traveling alone a number of times and they were always well-behaved and a little scared and even a bit suspicious of me when I started talking to them when the maternal instincts I didn't know I had kicked in. :huh:

That is awful for men to be made to feel as if they are a risk to children..it's like the issue of how many people feel comfortable having male nannies/babysitters, daycare workers, etc? Some people just won't have a man (esp as a nanny, being alone w/ the kids) regardless. A good caregiver is a good caregiver, regardless of gender. How sad if a man can't go into that line of work because of those fears.

I don't think it makes any difference. It's silly to assume that someone is best to sit next to kids based on their gender. I'd hate it if I got assigned a child I'd never met because I'm no good with kids.

joyfulgirl said:

Of course not. I am not in favor of this policy. Yet given how it's been men who have subjected others to discrimination throughout history, I just can't get all that upset when it is reversed on them.

Say what now? It's only men that discriminate?

A principle is either wrong, or it isn't.

nathan1977 said:

Of course it's wrong. I was simply being honest in a knee-jerk kind of way, which is why I added the "lol" in my original post, kind of like ha ha now you white men know what it feels like. But anyone who has read my posts these last few years can guess that of course I do not support this policy. I actually think I made that clear. :|

nathan1977 said:

Homosexuals are regularly told (either implicitly or explicitly) to "wait their turn." "The public isn't ready."

Well, maybe "the public isn't ready" for having children left next to heterosexual men. You all might be child molesters, you know.

Melon

joyfulgirl said:

Of course it's wrong. I was simply being honest in a knee-jerk kind of way, which is why I added the "lol" in my original post, kind of like ha ha now you white men know what it feels like.

Some of us already do. Usually in Asia by Chinese, Japanese or in the US in groups of Chinese

melon said:
Nice to see straight men get a little dose of homophobia for once. You all might be child molesters, you know.

Melon

That sounds very bitter.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
That sounds very bitter.

Probably because I am. Living in the United States these days doesn't inspire optimism.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom