Anti-male prejudice / bigotry? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2005, 06:53 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Anti-male prejudice / bigotry?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10357510

Old 12-02-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
Forum Moderator

Quote:
A Qantas spokesman confirmed the Australian airline, which operates domestic flights in New Zealand, does not allow unaccompanied children to sit next to men. The spokesman said the airline believed it was what customers wanted.

Ms Paul said Air New Zealand tried to seat children near a crew area so crew could keep an eye on them and, when possible, children were seated next to an empty seat. "Sometimes this isn't possible, so the preference is to seat a female passenger next door to an unaccompanied minor."
It certainly sounds discriminatory, though it's a bit hard to evaluate without knowing more about what went into the airlines' decision process. For example, were they going on vague speculation that men are somehow more dangerous to children (in ways pertinent to the situation), or were they looking at research suggesting most children feel more comfortable around female strangers than male ones, etc. (Though even if the latter were true, it would hardly seem reasonable grounds for a categorical ban--as opposed to a 'preference,' such as they currently have for seating children next to no-one.)

Personally, I couldn't care less about the sex of whomever might sit next to my children, but I would want to know that they were somewhere where crew could keep an eye on them, especially after landing.
Quote:
The incident, which happened a year ago, irked Mr Worsley so much that he recently contacted National Party political correctness eradicator Wayne Mapp.
This is probably a stupid question...but is that an actual job title?

Old 12-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Nice to see straight men get a little dose of homophobia for once.

Melon
Old 12-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
The Fly

I wish they would implement that policy in the States. Thers is nothing worse than having to sit next to or around children on a flight.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by mattgerth
I wish they would implement that policy in the States. Thers is nothing worse than having to sit next to or around children on a flight.
LOL...it's true.

Melon
Old 12-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Nice to see straight men get a little dose of homophobia for once.

Melon
Yes, because it's well known that 2 wrongs DO make a right.....
Old 12-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm really not surprised.

i've taught swimming lessons for years, and i've taught pre-school, and both times i was warned -- strictly off the record, and before i was "out" -- that i should never, ever put myself in any sort of situation where anything remotely questionable could be inferred into the situation. you learn how to give one-armed shoulder hugs, to make sure that your hands are visible at all times (and this can be difficult when you're trying to help a 7 year old swim a lap in the big pool or trying to correct a breaststroke kick).

it's a dose of reality that men have to face, straight or gay.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Scot
Yes, because it's well known that 2 wrongs DO make a right.....
You beat me to it.

It is also well known that homophobia is fact the ONLY form of prejudice in the world.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'm really not surprised.

i've taught swimming lessons for years, and i've taught pre-school, and both times i was warned -- strictly off the record, and before i was "out" -- that i should never, ever put myself in any sort of situation where anything remotely questionable could be inferred into the situation. you learn how to give one-armed shoulder hugs, to make sure that your hands are visible at all times (and this can be difficult when you're trying to help a 7 year old swim a lap in the big pool or trying to correct a breaststroke kick).

it's a dose of reality that men have to face, straight or gay.
I've seen similar or even stricter "policies" given to both men and women - but the higher scrutiny does fall on men.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 AM
Oh boo hoo. Poor men, lol.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Horrible policy
Old 12-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Well, if it makes you men feel any better, I've had a lot of female professors who've done their time in the business world basically give us "lessons" on how we have to dress and act if we're working around mostly men. Like if we wear a skirt (a nice one, I'm not talking about leather minis) or blouse, but the men are all wearing nice pants/suit outfit, we should assume that our clothes are intended to be a come-on and instead have to also wear black pants and a suit so it's less noticable that we're female.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Well, if it makes you men feel any better, I've had a lot of female professors who've done their time in the business world basically give us "lessons" on how we have to dress and act if we're working around mostly men. Like if we wear a skirt (a nice one, I'm not talking about leather minis) or blouse, but the men are all wearing nice pants/suit outfit, we should assume that our clothes are intended to be a come-on and instead have to also wear black pants and a suit so it's less noticable that we're female.

The women in my work are expected to look professional; the men wear jeans, t-shirts and sneakers. No kidding. And I work for one of the most liberal and progressive organizations I've ever heard of in this country. After a lunch meeting, the men leave the room and the women clean up. We just deal with it because it is such an otherwise amazing place to work with perks I now find I can't live without, lol. Some traditions are so deep, though, I don't know if they will ever change. Sort of a digression I guess...
Old 12-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Oh boo hoo. Poor men, lol.

well ... okay, on the whole i agree with you, but it's never a nice thing to have to work under the assumption that you are a potential child molestor.

and, where i work, everyone dresses-down competitively. we all wear jeans, but cool jeans, with vintage/ironic t-shirts and blazers and converse and funky scarfs. the women can get very agressive about who has the better BoHo dumpster-chic clothes and accessories.

but then again, i have a "creative job."
Old 12-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

well ... okay, on the whole i agree with you, but it's never a nice thing to have to work under the assumption that you are a potential child molestor.
Of course not. I am not in favor of this policy. Yet given how it's been men who have subjected others to discrimination throughout history, I just can't get all that upset when it is reversed on them. Fair to all the wonderful men who do not discriminate and in fact defend others against discrimination? Of course not. Can I argue against this policy? Absolutely. But I guess overall I don't care that much. Sorry.