Anti-americanism - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2002, 05:19 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Anti-americanism

I read this quote today and I thought it might stir up some discussion.

It seems that people think that by challenging President Bush or America on things is Anti-American.

Read the quote and let the fun begin!!!!!

Peace to all!

"TO ANNOUNCE THAT THERE MUST BE NO CRITICISM OF THE PRESIDENT, OR THAT WE ARE TO STAND BY THE PRESIDENT, RIGHT OR WRONG, IS NOT ONLY UNPATRIOTIC AND SERVILE, BUT IS MORALLY TREASONABLE TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC." Theodore Roosevelt

Old 10-02-2002, 05:22 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
So does this mean that a lot of people are going to jail?

Old 10-02-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

sometimes i feel more american when i criticize bush because i know that my opinion counts as much as anyone's does. i am simply exercising my rights. i know i'm lucky enough to live in a country where i can say whatever i want about our government. if i didn't give a damn about my country i wouldn't even bother speaking up. i actually think it is more dangerous not to say anything. i also find it more than aggravating when people who disagree with the administration are called anti-american.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:31 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
i also find it more than aggravating when people who disagree with the administration are called anti-american.
It does kind of put a damper on a discussion, when all of a sudden people say this. There are other labels that are thrown around that also prove nothing, and squash debates.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:38 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

It does kind of put a damper on a discussion, when all of a sudden people say this. There are other labels that are thrown around that also prove nothing, and squash debates.
i agree. i've had discussions like that and it that label really detracts from the actual argument. it's frustrating.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #6
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:37 AM
I believe someone once pointed out that I am just anti
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-02-2002, 11:05 PM   #7
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
i also find it more than aggravating when people who disagree with the administration are called anti-american.
i agree. of course, i'm not naming names here since no one has ever called me that on the forums, but a friend of mine (stupid redneck bandwagon jumper. as of may 2001 she didn't have any intent to vote, now all of a sudden she loves the bin laden dartboards.) thinks i'm some horrible human being for thinking that, for example, a senator nominee called bob clement is also a bandwagon jumper because he always uses "one nation, under god" in all his speeches when it has nothing to do with anything.

i hate tennessee.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:18 PM   #8
us3
The Fly

Local Time: 01:37 AM
i'm anti-freeze!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 11:29 PM   #9
Kid A

wink uncle sam

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I believe someone once pointed out that I am just anti
some people are like your anti...
Old 10-02-2002, 11:30 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by us3
i'm anti-freeze!!!
u
r
silly

DB9
Old 10-03-2002, 08:25 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:37 AM

I agree with the message that the quote is trying to convey.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:43 PM   #12
Banned

I'm not Anti-american . i'm Anti -WAR dude , that's all .
Old 10-03-2002, 02:02 PM   #13
New Yorker

I was on the subway last week and saw a button on a woman's backpack that said "Dissent is patriotic." I think that sums this argument nicely. The whole point of including the First Amendment in our Constitution was to allow people a voice if they disagreed with the people in power like the presidents or, in the Founding Fathers' case, the King. They want us to speak up if we disagree. Like the button said, dissent is patriotic.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:31 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:37 AM
In my opinion, informed dissent is patriotic, uninformed dissent is not. Just as people find the use of "Anti-Americanism" thrown around in an unobjective way unacceptable, so to do people find some of the comments about Bush and his policies to be unobjective and uninformed.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:37 PM   #15
us3
The Fly

Local Time: 01:37 AM
"TO ANNOUNCE THAT THERE MUST BE NO CRITICISM OF THE PRESIDENT, OR THAT WE ARE TO STAND BY THE PRESIDENT, RIGHT OR WRONG, IS NOT ONLY UNPATRIOTIC AND SERVILE, BUT IS MORALLY TREASONABLE TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC." Theodore Roosevelt

TR also wrote this from the same book...

Read this, and let's continue the fun?....

"[M]y disagreement with the peace-at-any-price men, the ultrapacifists, is not in the least because they favor peace. I object to them, first, because they have proved themselves futile and impotent in working for peace, and second, because they commit what is not merely the capital error but the crime against morality of failing to uphold righteousness as the all-important end toward which we should strive ... I have as little sympathy for them as they have for the men who deify mere brutal force, who insist that power justifies wrongdoing, and who declare that there is no such thing as international morality. But the ultra-pacifists really play into the hands of these men. To condemn equally might which backs right and might which overthrows right is to render positive service to wrong-doers ... To denounce the nation that wages war in self-defense, or from a generous desire to relieve the oppressed, in the same terms in which we denounce war waged in a spirit of greed or wanton folly stands on a par with denouncing equally a murderer and the policeman who, at peril of his life and by force of arms, arrests the murderer. In each case the denunciation denotes not loftiness of soul but weakness both of mind and morals." - Theodore Roosevelt