Anti-americanism - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2002, 04:42 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:24 PM
I love the quote. I do not have time to respond. He does seem to have a very intelligent grasp of the situation.

Peace to all.

Old 10-03-2002, 07:14 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:24 PM
Re: Anti-americanism

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I read this quote today and I thought it might stir up some discussion.

It seems that people think that by challenging President Bush or America on things is Anti-American.

Read the quote and let the fun begin!!!!!

Peace to all!

"TO ANNOUNCE THAT THERE MUST BE NO CRITICISM OF THE PRESIDENT, OR THAT WE ARE TO STAND BY THE PRESIDENT, RIGHT OR WRONG, IS NOT ONLY UNPATRIOTIC AND SERVILE, BUT IS MORALLY TREASONABLE TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC." Theodore Roosevelt
Ooh, cool-I'm gonna use that quote on another message board I go to.

Yay, Theodore. Amen.

Pinkfloyd, I too am anti-war.

Angela

Old 10-04-2002, 04:57 PM   #18
Refugee

Re: Anti-americanism

Quote:
It seems that people think that by challenging President Bush or America on things is Anti-American.
They are the ones who history forgets. They are the ones who stand by the side of the road while there is suffering and pain all over. The blind followers are like lemmings, and they control nothing. The ones who question and criticize when they see something wrong--they are the ones who control our destiny.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:22 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Re: Re: Anti-americanism

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxxern
They are the ones who history forgets. They are the ones who stand by the side of the road while there is suffering and pain all over. The blind followers are like lemmings, and they control nothing. The ones who question and criticize when they see something wrong--they are the ones who control our destiny.
Yep, exactly.

I've had people tell me that by my criticizing our government or the way our country does something, I therefore do not love my country.

I beg to differ.

Someone who speaks out against injustices in their country does so because they don't want their country turning into a shambles-sounds like they love their country to me, because they are making sure anything bad that happens in their country comes to a halt and never happens again.

Angela
Old 10-04-2002, 05:31 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Anti-americanism

Quote:

The blind followers are like lemmings, and they control nothing.
I do not wish to put words into your mouth. Are you saying that intelligent people cannot support the direction the president is taking the country? There are many people on these boards that are extremely intelligent and well versed on the issues of the day who support the policies of the president in some areas and do not in others.

I would say the Blind person is not the person who supports the president, nor would I say the blind person is the person opposed to the president. The BLIND person is the person who could care less about the decisions.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:07 PM   #21
Refugee

Re: Re: Re: Anti-americanism

Quote:
I would say the Blind person is not the person who supports the president, nor would I say the blind person is the person opposed to the president. The BLIND person is the person who could care less about the decisions.
I guess I should have clarified. I wasn't saying intelligent people don't support the president. But as long as you can back up your beliefs, you are not a blind follower. I was referring to those who support the president just because he is the president. He can be wrong too. Whether you believe he is right or wrong, there should be some evidence to back that up.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:11 PM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Jesus H Spaghettios! I can't believe how unAmerican all you people are! What in the hell? How can you say that failing to support our great president, the one we all elected, is patriotic! You're all a bunch of Saddam loving terrorist sympathizers!

Or not
Old 10-04-2002, 06:20 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anti-americanism

Quote:

Whether you believe he is right or wrong, there should be some evidence to back that up.
I have been trying to teach this to fourth graders all week!!!!!Opinions are great, but you need facts to prove your point.

Peace to all!
Old 10-04-2002, 06:36 PM   #24
Refugee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anti-americanism

Quote:

I have been trying to teach this to fourth graders all week!!!!!Opinions are great, but you need facts to prove your point.

Peace to all!
Agreed. The thing about that is, you can't always prove your point when you have a plan for something in the future. I disagree with the president's plan because I believe that it won't work, based on what I see as the problem. You agree with the president because you think it will fix what you see as the problem. It gets very hard to actually define what the problem is, especially because we're trying to generalize terror as the result of a single problem. There are many terror groups with many agendas. (Some of the terror groups tied to Islam hate each other almost as much as they hate their targets.) If we start to think there is just one problem that can be solved quickly, then I really feel that we are wrong.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:28 PM   #25
us3
The Fly

Local Time: 05:24 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anti-americanism

Quote:

Peace to all!

which 4th graders???
Old 10-04-2002, 11:09 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anti-americanism

Quote:
Originally posted by us3

which 4th graders???
Haha!!! Well, I am trying to teach them that I can't mark their answers wrong if they are using facts to back up their opinions.

Which 4th graders....HAHA

Diamond are you there????hehe
Old 10-05-2002, 08:32 PM   #27
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 02:24 AM
The rise of Anti-americanism

Imho Anti-americanism is on the rise because of several things

- We miss "our" enemy the russians, without a common villain the western countries don't need the "big brother" anymore.

- Without "big evil" on the other side America can be more agressive in their politics than they used to be

so to compact it even more - egoism on both sides on the rise because we don't need each other as much anymore than we used to.

It would be great if our politicians would learn from history and try to treat other countries with more respect and understanding.

Klaus
Old 10-06-2002, 10:23 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: The rise of Anti-americanism

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus

- We miss "our" enemy the russians, without a common villain the western countries don't need the "big brother" anymore.

Klaus
I can almost agree with this. It seems that the world operated on this level for so long, it does not know what to do with itself. If I may make an analogy:

Saddam was left in power after the last war to keep a balance of power in the Middle East with ie Iran. Without the Soviet Union, the balance of power is off.

Hmmmm....I need to think about htis some more.

Peace to all