Anti-americanism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anitram said:
I think a lot of respect would have been bought back in places like Canada and Western Europe, where people are just boggled by the fact that a man so incompetent, so unlikeable and so hostile to the remainder of the world would be elected on little more than a platform of anti-homosexual bigotry and abortion.

With respect, the major talking points of Bush's platforms have been something entirely different - taxation/education and most recently the war on terror. His position on abortion has always been clear. The "anti-homosexual bigotry" shot is a topic for another thread.

The fact is that in the last two elections, Bush's genuine likeability helped him to overcome his lack of eloquence in front of a podium. Democrats haven't run a presidential nominee with any charisma since Clinton.

Of course, no one actually knew what bush's opponent in th eelection actually was.

The Dems held a contest to deternmine who knew best what Kerry actually stood for. Kerry came in 4th.

Bluer White said:

The fact is that in the last two elections, Bush's genuine likeability helped him to overcome his lack of eloquence in front of a podium. Democrats haven't run a presidential nominee with any charisma since Clinton.

That's it, and with Kerry you could see it coming from a mile away. As someone who desperately wanted to see Bush defeated, I knew it was all hinging on how much hatred there was out there for him, and how many of those bothered to turn up to vote. What I mean is, Kerry wasn't ever going to win, but Bush might have lost. Kerry's dull and meaningless campaign was never going to win an election. Go back to the election before and watch any Bush/Gore debate. The importance of personality is never more obvious. Actually, read a transcript of one of the debates first, then try and watch one (pretty easy to find 'out there' on the net). In reading it you would assume Gore kicked arse. Gore keeps hammering Bush with facts and details and real ideas and plans, over and over, Bush never really says a thing of note, but then WATCH the debates and check the style of the two of them. Unfortunately the nerdy guy using the big words is never going to win against the casual guy cracking the jokes. Personality/charisma is probably THE most important factor. Gore didn't have it, Kerry didn't have it. Stick another fucking actor in there and watch what happens...

I don't understand when people say Bush has charisma and I guess I don't understand how this so-called charisma won him the election. Apparently you're right but I just don't see it. It's not like I ever looked at him and thought, "Yeah he's dumb as a mule but man he just seems like a nice guy." I've been put off by his personality since the day I first heard him open his mouth and it just blows my mind that so many other people found his personality attractive. For me he has always been unappealing on every level.

joyfulgirl said:
I don't understand when people say Bush has charisma and I guess I don't understand how this so-called charisma won him the election. Apparently you're right but I just don't see it. It's not like I ever looked at him and thought, "Yeah he's dumb as a mule but man he just seems like a nice guy." I've been put off by his personality since the day I first heard him open his mouth and it just blows my mind that so many other people found his personality attractive. For me he has always been unappealing on every level.

I agree. For me, Bush represents the absolute worst of American personalities.

Melon

joyfulgirl said:
I've been put off by his personality since the day I first heard him open his mouth.

Same here, joyfulgirl. I even felt embarrassed on his behalf when he had his first debates with Al Gore. :|

foray

Back
Top Bottom