Answer the Wannabe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Since everyone is doing one of these Ask me ___ threads, I'll wait until they get unpopular to go down that road.

However, this thread is where I ask the questions, so be my guest.

Pick and choose:

1. Who do you admire, and why should I admire that person?
2. If you could convince Bono to believe in something, what would it be?
3. Can evolution and creation co-exist?
4. What would you die for, and why?
5. What do you do that gives you self-esteem and confidence in yourself?

Macfistowannabe said:

My family and friends, and you should admire them because they're my friends.

Macfistowannabe said:

That writing songs named after cities is a bad idea.

Macfistowannabe said:

It does.

Macfistowannabe said:

My loved ones. My beliefs in God and equality.

Macfistowannabe said:

I pray and remain true to myself.

Macfistowannabe said:
Since everyone is doing one of these Ask me ___ threads, I'll wait until they get unpopular to go down that road.

Pick and choose:

1. Who do you admire, and why should I admire that person? Tragic heroes of ancient tragedies can be admirable ~ the struggle itself is the worthier part, doing right to attone for whats done before ~ perhaps I myself would admire the objectivist hero the most.

2. If you could convince Bono to believe in something, what would it be? I have no interest in swaying the minds of other people.

3. Can evolution and creation co-exist? Evolution is an independent process than that of how life itself started. If life was "created" then it would in all probability face the same selective pressures that drive evolution. Having said that it should be noted that evolution is not dependent on creation.

4. What would you die for, and why? Matters of protection, love, patriotism, ideals, passion all seem to be legitimate ones ~ there are any number of concievable situations where one could face death however I cannot forsee exactly how I would meet those ends.

5. What do you do that gives you self-esteem and confidence in yourself? No interest in self-esteem ~ load of bollocks if you ask me. I have trust in my own abilities ~ don't need to go around trying to make myself feel good about myself no matter what, pride goes before the fall. it is all in the brooding and dedication to ones betterment ~ see if I was to start building up my own self esteem and self confidence without cause then I would be let down very quickly and wouldn't want to do anything. If you come from the other way and earn that confidence then that is earned and it is solid. You cannot lie yourself through life. To answer the question it is my own achievements and greatness that give me confidence in myself.

Last edited:
Macfistowannabe said:

Pick and choose:

1. Neil Young. I'm not too concerned whether you admire him or
not. Just like people with edge and bite.
2. That you start becoming ineffective when you pop up
everywhere. In every possible circumstance, I am beginning
to expect to see Bono in the photograph. I really like the guy,
but...
3. Yes, but not in the science classroom.
4. People I love because they are worth dying for. I would not die
for an idea.
5. I challenge. I question. I kill my own sacred cows. And I
admit when I think I'm wrong. Nothing or no one is beyond
my irreverence, including myself.

Australia, NZ, Sth America, Asia

my daughter. Self explanatory I hope.

Art.

1.Who do you admire, and why should I admire that person?

I admire anyone who can survive adversity and still be positive and good to others, and not bitter

That women over thirty are much hotter than twenty somethings :wink: I'm just kidding, I'm quite sure he still thinks Ali is the hottest woman in the world, w/ very good reason

I would rather die than deny my faith in God

Ignore people who drive me crazy and whose personality traits I don't care for

Keep on going in spite of everything

My wife, and I've no idea why you should.:wink:

I cannot convince anyone to believe in something they don't believe in already. But if I could I'd convince him to tour more often. Preferably in Europe.

Yes.

Nothing. I would rather live for things.

Nothing. I do not have to do anything to get what I already have.

Trent Reznor - most misunderstood rocker ever, the mozart of the 20th century.

that he would be more like me.

I don't think so.

nothing is worth dying for.

tell others to kiss my ass.

I admire people who have remained steadfast and nonviolent against great odds and have fought for good causes. Aung San Suu Kyi, Thich Nhat Hanh, Edith Stein (St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross), Oscar Romero...etc. I guess you should admire them for the reasons I listed, but then again, I also really admire my mom and my grandmothers for personal reasons.

That $60 does not count as "modestly priced" (Edun T-shirts).

Sure, why not? Why can we not say that perhaps God is the author of evolution--that S/he chose to have some species develop in certain ways at certain times for reasons unknown to us?

Ummmmm...tough one. I guess if I had to choose between saving my own life and saving the life of a parent, a sibling, a husband, a child, or a friend, I would spare the other person. I'd die for God, I guess, though that sure is easy to say when you don't happen to be (say) a Tibetan Buddhist or a Chinese Christian (people who really do face death threats for their beliefs). I can't think of many causes I'd die for, though ultimately love would be right up there. There's not much that my country (it's really the U.S., not Greenland) is involved with right now, for example, that makes me want to go fall on a land mine.

Doing something well. Taking the moral high road. Resisting temptation when it would be easy to give in and when no one would find out. Giving people things that make them happy. Doing something I thought I couldn't do. Remembering things about people that most people forget.

hmmmm ... hard to find individuals in popular culture, other than Bono, and maybe Springsteen ... i'd have to say that, right now, as i've mentioned, i greatly admire happy, healthy gay men who are able to live their lives with dignity and create secure, healthy, long-term monogamous relationships.

i also admire my parents more and more.

that he's capable of better lyrics than some of the self-help bromide he's been delivering these past two albums;

not in the terms outlined by the chip-on-the-shoulder creationist movement. it's directly oppositional, and hugely counterproductive. let's be honest: if you have to insist that evolution is "just a theory," can we please say that creationism and intelligent designs are "not yet even regarded as possible scientific theories."

i can't think of a cause that's worth any human life -- though i suppose i would die to help defeat something like Nazism; i'd die to protect my children, if i were one day to have them -- that seems like a base requirement for being a parent.

work as hard as i can and earn praise from my supervisors; having long, long discussions with friends who's intelligence i admire; keeping in touch with friends via long phone calls and long emails.

Interesting responses so far...

I suppose I can do my part as well.

Bono, the greatest rock frontman ever. Also, faithful to his high school sweetheart in spite of all the temptation. :heart:

That MTV needs him and the rest of the guys, I think that would make a lot of people happy, anywho.

This is a trick question to some degree. One belief is that the earth is some billions - of years old, and that we evolved from chimpanzees. The other is that the earth is some thousands of years old, and that we were created by dust.

Evolution wouldn't generally be praised in a church, creation would never be acknowledged in the classroom.

Some take the Bible to be inerrant and literal. Others take it quite loosely. Moses' sources could be under questioning. Ancient scholars vs. modern scholars. One has to wonder - to which degree did it come from God - and to which degree did it come from his relience on scholars.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the chimp theory. It seems to be clearly independant. Somehow over time, the claim is that we ended up walking on two feet. We went from having genitals less than one inch to multiples of that. We went from sex from front to back to front to front over time.

Other than that, I'm not totally sure. I think far too much is unknown about science to claim an absolution to the entirety of Darwin's theory. I think some principles may be true, but I'm no absolutionist on it.

My faith, my family, my lover, my friends, and my most passionate among my beliefs. Perhaps the consideration holds that if you can take a bullet, your ideas will live on. For the lives of tens, hundreds, thousands, or millions of people, I would go down. I'd be clearly outnumbered. To end all threats of global terrorism, for example, if it meant that many could live for the sake of my death, I'd be honored. For the capture of Osama bin Laden, the honor in the bullet is endless. Like the saying goes, if you have nothing to die for, you have nothing to live for. I know, I'm a nut.

I am careful when it comes to absolution, I question life as a small child would, I question my own thoughts, but I stick to my true self and my most sincere among my beliefs.

In my spare time - working out, eating reasonably healthy. I think it would be even better for myself if I got more sleep.

Last edited:
I suppose we are ready for Round 2:

1. To what degree are you concerned about how you are perceived?
2. If you could dictate an original idea, what would it be?
3. Who's the sharpest tool in the shed, and why?
4. What is your original philosophy on life?
5. What should be considered a crime that is not?

Macfistowannabe said:
I suppose we are ready for Round 2:

1. To what degree are you concerned about how you are perceived?
2. If you could dictate an original idea, what would it be?
3. Who's the sharpest tool in the shed, and why?
4. What is your original philosophy on life?
5. What should be considered a crime that is not?

Wasn't ignoring your post, Macfist. Just realized I don't know that I have an original idea or original philosophy. My perspective may be unique (as is a lot of people's), but the original idea isn't.
So even though I thought long and hard about this one for a couple of days, couldn't come up with an answer.

But for the other answers:

1. I am concerned about how I am perceived by people who
are important in my life or people I respect a great deal.
Otherwise I am pretty indifferent.
3. Which shed are you talking about? Some of the sharpest
tools in the universal shed are people no one would know.
5. Emotional cruelty.

Back
Top Bottom