Another way to win the minds of the afghanistan people,..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rono

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I hope so that this is not true :no: deliberate burning to insult molims,....

--------------------------------------------

Australian investigative news programme Dateline broadcast a film which appeared to show US soldiers burning the bodies of two fighters and using their charred and smoking corpses as a taunt to nearby Islamic militants.

The programme, which aired last night, depicted what was described as a US psychological operations team broadcasting over a loudspeaker toward a village thought to be harbouring Taliban fighters and sympathisers.

According to a transcript of the program, the soldiers faced the bodies towards Mecca in a deliberately provocative move and set them on fire. One said: "Wow, look at the blood coming out of the mouth on that one, fucking straight death metal."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,1284,1596556,00.html

Kill them yes, insult them no.

1) Ever try to dig a hole on the mountainside?

2) Has the earths roation gone perpendicular?

A_Wanderer said:
Kill them yes, insult them no.

1) Ever try to dig a hole on the mountainside?

2) Has the earths roation gone perpendicular?
1 LOL, i don`t know how the primitive moslims bury thier deads in the montains,...

2, Mekka is in the west in Afghanistan,..here it is in the east.

I was wondering because when I saw that story it struck me that by the shadows of the soldiers the bodies were oriented N-S.

And more to the point
There simply wasn’t enough room on the rocky hilltop above Gonbaz village in southern Afghanistan for the U.S. platoon and the corpses of the two Taliban fighters. The Taliban men had been killed in a firefight 24 hours earlier, and in the 90 degree heat, their bodies had become an unbearable presence, soldiers who were present have told TIME. Nor was the U.S. Army unit about to leave — the hilltop commanded a strategic view of the village below where other Taliban were suspected to be hiding.

Earlier, Lt. Eric Nelson, the leader of B Company, I-508 platoon leader had sent word down to Gonbaz asking the villagers to pick up the bodies and bury them according to Muslim ritual. But the villagers refused — probably because the dead fighters weren’t locals but Pakistanis, surmised one U.S. army officer.

It was then that Lt. Nelson took the decision that could jeopardize his service career. “We decided to burn the bodies,” one soldier recounts, “because they were bloated and they stank.” News of this cremation may have remained on these scorching hills of southern Afghanistan, had the gruesome act not been recorded on film by an Australian photojournalist, Stephen Dupont. Instead, when the footage aired on Australian TV on Wednesday, it unleashed world outrage. A Pentagon spokesman described the incident as “repugnant” and said that the army was launching a criminal investigation into the alleged desecration of the corpses, which is in violation of the Geneva Convention on human rights.
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1121939,00.html

I am sorry if I do not consider SBS to be an unbiased source, their journalists have had numerous cases of misreporting events and in some instances actively cheering for organisations while glossing over their crimes (read a transcript of the Dateline story on the PKK ~ it totally glosses over the terrorist campaign conducted against the Turks and presents the group as a pure and true marxist resistance force).

Staight from the photographer
“I actually believe that the guys who were involved in the burning did it with honorable, you know, reasons. They did it through their orders, or they did if for hygiene. I had no doubt in my mind that they were telling me the truth. If they were doing something that was problematic or controversial, there’s no way they would have shown me this. There’s no way they would have let me go up there and film this.”
“No. Look, the bodies as far as I’m concerned, the bodies were lying on the ground, they weren’t facing anywhere, they were just lying there.”
http://newsbusters.org/node/2427

Back
Top Bottom