Another reason why the NYT is a disgrace - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

these very lines are posted in *every* cubicle in FoxNews HQ.

right along with the Citibank terrorist threat that magically happened the day after Kerry announced Edwards as his running mate.

(and, praytell, what are the other reasons why the NYT -- widely considered the finest newspaper on earth -- is a disgrace?)
Writing a lengthy justification for not publishing the Mohammed cartoons while having in the past published images of art that desecrate Christian iconography does suffice, the double standard is a disgrace.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Writing a lengthy justification for not publishing the Mohammed cartoons while having in the past published images of art that desecrate Christian iconography does suffice, the double standard is a disgrace.

so you've given me one reason.

where's the other?

it does seem, in this case, the term "disgrace" does not apply. in fact, "disgrace" is a rather strong term.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Well it does seem a bit bizarre that a major paper based in NY would "bury" such a story, no matter how imminent or potentially tragic it really was. It would have been an attack on a huge scale if it had been successful. It wasn't just FOX that played it up, it was all over CNN and MSNBC too (of course it makes for a better TV story than it does a newspaper story). Maybe the NY Times operates by journalistic standards that also exist outside its' political bent-you'd have to be privy to their private meetings to know exactly why they made that particular decision. How exactly do we define when evil intent transforms successfully into operational capability? How was it defined on 9/11/01? It wasn't.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #34
Refugee

Let's see where they put the William Jefferson story tomorrow. A 16 count indictment, complete with the 90 grand in his office freezer. I bet the NYT makes at least some mention of it on the front page, maybe bottom of the fold. They should.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

did we all think the NYT was "disgraceful" when they spent months putting Judy Miller/Ahmed Chalabi stories on the front page about the erstwhile "search" for Hussein's WMDs?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
did we all think the NYT was "disgraceful" when they spent months putting Judy Miller/Ahmed Chalabi stories on the front page about the erstwhile "search" for Hussein's WMDs?
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about this story.

This should not be a Republican/Democrat or a pro-war/anti-war debate. This is about a New York-based paper putting a New York-based story on page 37. The NYT is trying to downplay the war on terror. They want a Democrat in the White House in 2008 and will do whatever they can to make sure it happens. That includes burying a thwarted terror-plot, which I believe helps Republicans.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:04 PM
You say this:

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

This should not be a Republican/Democrat or a pro-war/anti-war debate.
But then you make it into one right after that:

Quote:

The NYT is trying to downplay the war on terror. They want a Democrat in the White House in 2008 and will do whatever they can to make sure it happens. That includes burying a thwarted terror-plot, which I believe helps Republicans.
This thread's a joke.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about this story.
The title of this thread was "Another reason", but now you are claiming it's just this story?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White
Let's see where they put the William Jefferson story tomorrow. A 16 count indictment, complete with the 90 grand in his office freezer. I bet the NYT makes at least some mention of it on the front page, maybe bottom of the fold. They should.

i'm not sure what sort of litmus test a financial scandal involving a black congressman is supposed to be, but it is the top story on Anderson Cooper.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This should not be a Republican/Democrat or a pro-war/anti-war debate. This is about a New York-based paper putting a New York-based story on page 37. The NYT is trying to downplay the war on terror. They want a Democrat in the White House in 2008 and will do whatever they can to make sure it happens. That includes burying a thwarted terror-plot, which I believe helps Republicans.

well, if you look at the polls, the GWOT doesn't help the Republicans.

and it also seems as if the NYT -- being in New York -- knew ahead of everyone else that the alleged plot was well overhyped to begin with.

but go ahead and continue with the conspiracy theories. it's about all the Republicans have left.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:06 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

well, if you look at the polls, the GWOT doesn't help the Republicans.

and it also seems as if the NYT -- being in New York -- knew ahead of everyone else that the alleged plot was well overhyped to begin with.

but go ahead and continue with the conspiracy theories. it's about all the Republicans have left.

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #42
War Child

Local Time: 11:04 PM
I'm not sure what universe some people live on, where any one media source is their sole media source. You probably cannot name one NYT reader who wasn't aware of this thwarted terrorist plot from other news sources, whether it be from the headlines of the other NY newspapers or from the myriad of internet and television news sources that made people aware of it.

Frankly, the NYT made an editorial decision that it wasn't important enough to be on the front page. Perhaps they preferred not to regurgitate the same headline that every other newspaper in the area was most certainly going to have.

Additionally, I believe that the NYT markets their Sunday paper, in particular, as meaning to appeal to a more cultured and high brow audience, so the fact that they chose to make their headline that day about poverty in India may have more to do with their unique marketing and audience concerns than any FOX News wet dream about a sinister anarcho-leftist conspiracy at the NYT.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:

i'm not sure what sort of litmus test a financial scandal involving a black congressman is supposed to be,
If he was a Republican, like Duke Cunningham, it would be all we would hear about until the next election.

sometimes you gotta help em move the ball
Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
i'm not sure what sort of litmus test a financial scandal involving a black congressman is supposed to be, but it is the top story on Anderson Cooper.
I'm not aware of a litmus test for reporting on the "Culture of Corruption"....black, white, Dem, or Rep. It certainly was a rallying cry in the midterm elections, and a Pelosi initiative to clean things up.

Rogue politicians should be made famous by the media. All of them.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:21 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:04 AM
2861U2 - How old are you?