Another reason for me to fucking hate republicans.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2democrat,

A couple questions, because I'm genuinely curious:

Who knows about the new budget proposal, besides this handful of weasels? And who votes on the proposal -- a handful of deacons/leaders, or the entire congregation?

U2democrat said:
oh yeah another thing is that they would take away his health insurance. that's kind and loving isn't it?

You're reading it correctly -- they want him out. And they don't want to have to fire him. Does this take effect right away, or does he has a bit of time to check into other jobs?

I would think with your dad's track record of cleaning up this church and building it he would be in demand if he has a bit of time to get his name out there.

speedracer said:
U2democrat,

A couple questions, because I'm genuinely curious:

Who knows about the new budget proposal, besides this handful of weasels? And who votes on the proposal -- a handful of deacons/leaders, or the entire congregation?

The entire congregation votes on it and it will most likely be shot down, but then it'll go back to the "weasels", who will probably make a lesser cut, but still it's a cut. (They even cut his salary by $12,000 last year). The point is, as Indra said, they want my dad out, and he doesn't need to deal with this crap any longer.

Okay, but why should your dad be the one to back down, especially since he's been so instrumental in the growth of the church? Or at the very least, why doesn't he stick around long enough for the "weasels" to expose themselves?

Eh, who am I to be dispensing advice about church politics. I trust your dad is seeking the Lord's will in this matter.

God bless.

These people have been after him since he started. They have made his life hell for the last almost 4 years and he just doesn't want to deal with them anymore. There's really nothing the congregation can do about these people. It's unfortunate but this is what it's come down to.

I remember being at my Catholic church when the priest was "moved" to another parish after allowing a group of gay Catholic students to start meeting together -- I think the group was called Rainbow and found for social justice for gays and lesbians -- and had a petition for people to sign to put pressure on the diocese to start pushing women as priests and priests to marry. He was stirring the pot too much in a college student setting so they moved him to a place where he was less dangerous.

hang in there dear, I have a feeling when people in the church find out about this, they will not be happy about him being forced out if he has done so much good for this church.

ok another variable thrown into the mix...............

one of the people fighting for my dad is trying to push people to a) vote down this proposed budget b) have the church pay for my tuition if we stay.

however, if people are so unsatisfied with my dad's pay its highly unlikely they'll let my tuition be paid for.

U2democrat said:
ok another variable thrown into the mix...............

one of the people fighting for my dad is trying to push people to a) vote down this proposed budget b) have the church pay for my tuition if we stay.

however, if people are so unsatisfied with my dad's pay its highly unlikely they'll let my tuition be paid for.

Perhaps the supporter is using your tuition as a bargining chip -- one side can say "well at least we didn't pay for that brat's tuition!" and the other side gets to say "yeah, well at least the preacher gets to keep his salary and health insurance." A bit of a something each side can crow about.

hahaha thanks A_wanderer.

yet another variable.

my parents just informed me that the tuition would be coming from the "foundation". the people who would decide on this are mostly on my side, but there are 2 of the "weasels" on that board.

my dad said it's all about the tone of people. he said if many affirm him, we might stay. if people are quiet, we'll leave (if we do get the tuition thing and the cuts are stopped). so now i don't know what the heck to think.

U2democrat, I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds freaking awful. You seem like a great kid from your posts in this forum, and you deserve the best chances in life with college, and everything. Please give my best wishes to your dad. I hope this works out. I bet his next opportunity will be twice as fruitful as this one was. Sometimes it takes longer than you'd think, but the givers of the world usually get all the good they deserve in the long run.

Good luck.

I think you just have to kind of play it by ear...it does sound like you do have friends on the board though, and that does help. Hard to deal with the fact that supposedly good people can be so hateful, but I'll tell you, power does seem to bring out the worse in some people. I don't know quite why, but committee's just seem to make people ugly. :(

This is such a big decision to play by ear, but as my mom just said "welcome to the adult world." But now that we've been talking about it I wouldn't mind moving. I'd be going off to college anyway.

oh, U2D :sad: :sad:

this is terrible news. :hug: :hug:

Well, I'm an ex-Catholic/Christian, but I still take [as i still consider him a spirtual master just not the way i did growing up] Jesus's Sermon on the Mount as much as i can to heart.... Do unto others....& what you do for the least of these you do to me...

So I often find massive amounts of hypocrasy [i mean we all have some] among people who call themselves 'religious' [following a set religion] very agregvating-- as i feel many of these very right-wing Neo-con republicans are.

My prayers to you & your dad and rest of your family. He sounds like he's done alot for your current church. :sigh:

Do talk to someone else professional though to help keep your self in some kind of balance, so you can do the yhings that need to be done for yourself.

andkeep coming here to talk to us.

I just wish i had a definitive answer of whether or not we're moving in the next year......whether or not my tuition will be fully paid.....there's so many HUUUUUGE decisions up in the air right now it's so aggrivating.

U2democrat said:
members....alot.

people who actually attend on sundays, about 120.

My church has about the same size of attendees.

I hope the other members of the Church stand up to the "weasels". My thoughts and prayers will be with your family during this outrage.

It really is unfortunate that this sort of thing goes on in a group that's supposedly together for the love of God. Some people in churches don't really understand why they're in a church in the first place. It sure as heck isn't to stab people in the back.

I am very sorry to hear that, U2democrat.

Please give my kindest regards to your father, he doesn´t know me ok.. however. The Lord will bless him for his good work. He knows everything.

I don´t know why you are not allowed to make your case openly. Is there any possibility he could write a letter to the bishop? I mean, I don´t understand the system.. who pays the salary, isn´t it the church? And what about the higher authorities there? The ones that have to be able to decide without letting their political opinion direct their intrigues? Just a thought, maybe this matter should be dealt with.

Good luck.

Much Love.

((((U2dem))))))

How awful! :( You'll be in my prayers.

Stammer, I really enjoyed your post. Ah, the kids are alright! :yes:

SD

PS Even if they don't :censored: vote!

U2democrat said:

He never talks politics with people in the church. But still people know where he stands, especially with his liberal views from the pulpit.

In the above quote you said he has liberal views from the pulpit. So I guess I'm trying to figure out what exactly you mean by that.

UltraVioletMofo said:

In the above quote you said he has liberal views from the pulpit. So I guess I'm trying to figure out what exactly you mean by that.

He's liberal in aspects other than politics. He challenges people and prods them to examine their faith. He never brings up politics in the pulpit.

Whenhiphop-
We don't have bishops. In the end the congregation decides, so our fate is up to them.

Hope this will give you a little of power, U2democrat, regarding your future in college.

"Keep Cool" by Marcus Mosiah Garvey, 1927

Suns have set and suns will rise
Upon many gloomy lives;
Those who sit around and say:
"Nothing good comes down our way."
Some say: "What's the use to try,
Life is awful hard and dry."
If they'd bring such news to you,
This is what you ought to do.

Let no trouble worry you;
Keep cool, keep cool!
Don't get hot like some folk do,
Keep cool, keep cool!
What's the use of prancing high
While the world goes smiling by.
You can win if you would try,
Keep cool, keep cool.

Throw your troubles far away,
Smile a little every day,
And the sun will start to shine,
Making life so true and fine.
Do not let a little care
Fill your life with grief and fear:
Just be calm, be brave and true,
Keep your head and you'll get through.

Let no trouble worry you;
Keep cool, keep cool!
just be brave and ever true;
Keep cool, keep cool!
If they'd put you in a flame,
Though you should not bear the blame,
Do not start to raising cane,
Keep cool, keep cool.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Hope this will give you a little of power, U2democrat, regarding your future in college.
Throw your troubles far away,
Smile a little every day,
And the sun will start to shine,
Making life so true and fine.

so true, so true.

:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom