Another head - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Another head

They killed the Korean guy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5256382/

Old 06-22-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 07:47 AM

Old 06-23-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:47 PM
At least the Koreans didn't capitualate, if they did then there is no telling how many more hostages will be taken. In retalliation they should they send in more troops in the form of ROK Marines who have a nasty habit of striking fear into the hearts of their enemies.

May he rest in peace and those men who killed him recieve justice for their crimes.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:59 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:47 PM
when are the korean elections?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I saw a picture of that Korean guy with Russel Crowe. Looked
like a nice guy.
Those sickos sent the video of them beheading him to the guy's
parents!!!!!
Once these terrorists capture somebody now, the person
is bound to wind up dead.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:40 PM   #6
Refugee

The ones doing the beheadings are absolutely evil, despicable cowards! There is no reason for this! These victims have done nothing more than be in the wrong place at the wrong time; hardly a capital offense. And the perps act all tough and macho, hiding their cowardly faces behind hoods.

I cannot explain why this has affected me so; I don't know any of the victims, but I am so angry on their behalf! I know that God will punish the perps, but not soon enough! How many more civilians must lose their heads?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:29 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:47 AM
Re: Another head

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
They killed the Korean guy

but not surprising !!!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:45 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

If governments met this terrorism by increasing troop deployments and spending for Iraq as a sign of solidarity with the Iraqi people against the terrorists they would save innocent Iraqi lives and stop terrorists taking more hostages, a fitting way to respond to a barbaric murder by these terrorists.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:47 AM
Old 06-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
If governments met this terrorism by increasing troop deployments and spending for Iraq as a sign of solidarity with the Iraqi people against the terrorists they would save innocent Iraqi lives and stop terrorists taking more hostages, a fitting way to respond to a barbaric murder by these terrorists.
or, most likely, they would just increase the number of these incidents
Old 06-25-2004, 12:36 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I disagree, think about it the effect of terrorism for the terrorist may be positive, neutral or negative.

A positive result would be to force their target to capitulate and in this case withdraw their troops, this would be rewarding terrorism and it would encourage them to go after more hostages because they know that it will accomplish their aims.

A neutral effect is if the government in question simply ignores the terrorists and doesn't give into their demands, this shows the terrorists that their method is not working and eventually they will stop taking hostages because they realize that it does their cause no good.

A negative effect is if in response something is done to fight the terrorists. More troops on the ground and additional funding for the Iraqi's would adversely effect the operational capacity of these groups and they would realize that taking hostages hurt's them more than it hurts the target government. It is illogical to try to destroy your own chance of sucess so they would stop taking hostages and move onto another method, the additional troops and aid would be good because it would increase security in the country and would help save lives rather than simply waiting for more to be claimed.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:11 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I disagree, think about it the effect of terrorism for the terrorist may be positive, neutral or negative.

A positive result would be to force their target to capitulate and in this case withdraw their troops, this would be rewarding terrorism and it would encourage them to go after more hostages because they know that it will accomplish their aims.

A neutral effect is if the government in question simply ignores the terrorists and doesn't give into their demands, this shows the terrorists that their method is not working and eventually they will stop taking hostages because they realize that it does their cause no good.

A negative effect is if in response something is done to fight the terrorists. More troops on the ground and additional funding for the Iraqi's would adversely effect the operational capacity of these groups and they would realize that taking hostages hurt's them more than it hurts the target government. It is illogical to try to destroy your own chance of sucess so they would stop taking hostages and move onto another method, the additional troops and aid would be good because it would increase security in the country and would help save lives rather than simply waiting for more to be claimed.
I think your "Positive" outcome won't ever happen for two reasons; the ridiculous hysteria over Spain pulling out (wouldn't want to be called 'French' now would you), and, I know it sounds terrible, but these individual lives aren't enough to force that hand. A large scale terrorist attack is different psychologicaly and more importantly, politicaly.

The 'Neutral' would never last. That could do it again and again and eventually the country would be forced to act.

The 'Negative', more troops etc, I think wouldn't worry them too much at this stage. I'm not sure that it would work either.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:36 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I am confident that if you placed more combat troops on the ground it would benefit the security situation, if every nation stands firm and doesnt capitulate and just increases pleadges of money and aid Iraq would only improve. A little like the Powell Doctrine of overwhelming force, if you show them that they cannot win then they will simply stop fighting.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:26 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Old 06-26-2004, 01:59 PM   #15
Refugee

Oh, Kitten, those pictures had me in tears. That poor family, what hell they must be going through.