Another Gay Idea - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2005, 02:10 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:47 PM
Next thing they are going to complain about keeping fags out of schools.

This entire business is achingly PC, get people not to call somebody a "faggot" and you can have a dozen more names within a minute and if all of that fails then there are certainly some hand gestures that will suffice. Homophobia and racism will probably never be completely abolished, but to ensure some respect then frank discussions on matters of race and sexuality will do a lot more good than this feel-good package of social engineering and thought policing. This does not mean that I am pro-homophobia or anti-gay I am only making the point that these types of programs do little to illuminate bigots and won't stop this stuff from going on. And for the record the first joke was about how fags are cigarettes.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:38 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Make "faggot" a bad word and kids will make up one to replace it faster than you light yer damn fag.
Really what we should be focusing on is parents instilling the value that faggot is NOT an okay word to use. Parents have the ultimate control over children, when they decide to exercise it. My mother, from a very young age, informed me abuot all different kinds of families and made sure I knew that all people were equal and that words like faggot were just plain wrong to use. Oddly enough... i never really use that term... hell I prolly use it more as an adult than I did as a teenager.....
Parents need to take charge and teach thier children to repsect one another , regardless of poltical bs that adults want to throw into the mix.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:43 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:47 AM
What both of you said absolutely rings true but don't you think this excercise at least starts these conversations you speak of?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:10 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Exactly, I think this opens the door to teaching children that EVERYONE is equal and that NO FORM of name calling is acceptable.

When I saw this on the news last night, they were asking the kids in Kindergarten to make a sign of the name that they have been called and on the opposite side of the paper, they had them write a word to replace the negative one.

The words I saw were "stupid". "fat", "ugly", "dumb". They were replaced by "beautiful", "smart", etc.

I think the thing that touched me the most was that these were 5-6 year olds doing it. I can't believe it starts that young. I have a granddaughter that age and I hope that she is never taunted by these words.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:33 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

This really isn't a "gay" issue, but I am glad GLSEN is shedding light on this.

Name calling is the most common form of bullying in schools. Far too often this behavior is given passive approval with the "kids will be kids" excuse. It is a symptom of lazy parents who do not want to train their children.

At home and at church, we always remind the children of the difference between "build up" words and "tear down" words.

Tear down is never acceptable.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:22 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:47 AM
I do find it ironic that the GLSEN is promoting a no name-calling week, yet they're calling quite a few people bigots and homophobes, even if they don't use homophobic slurs.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:07 AM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I do find it ironic that the GLSEN is promoting a no name-calling week, yet they're calling quite a few people bigots and homophobes, even if they don't use homophobic slurs.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
This really isn't a "gay" issue, but I am glad GLSEN is shedding light on this.

Name calling is the most common form of bullying in schools. Far too often this behavior is given passive approval with the "kids will be kids" excuse. It is a symptom of lazy parents who do not want to train their children.

At home and at church, we always remind the children of the difference between "build up" words and "tear down" words.

Tear down is never acceptable.

I agree with you, nd. I didn't mean to imply that this was only a gay issue. Any form of name calling is unacceptable.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:06 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
yes, using homophobic slurs is clearly the only form of bigotry. as long as you stay away from those it's all okay.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

A little inconsistent with the idea that any form of name-calling is uncalled for, isn't it? Why aren't they saying anything about how overweight kids are discriminated against? Why can't they promote the dignity of all people?

Quote:
Thanks for being real clear on that one.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
A little inconsistent with the idea that any form of name-calling is uncalled for, isn't it? Why aren't they saying anything about how overweight kids are discriminated against? Why can't they promote the dignity of all people?

Thanks for being real clear on that one.
Go back and read the article. They are talking about ALL name calling. Take a look at Doozer's other post:

Quote:
When I saw this on the news last night, they were asking the kids in Kindergarten to make a sign of the name that they have been called and on the opposite side of the paper, they had them write a word to replace the negative one.

The words I saw were "stupid". "fat", "ugly", "dumb". They were replaced by "beautiful", "smart", etc.

I think the thing that touched me the most was that these were 5-6 year olds doing it. I can't believe it starts that young. I have a granddaughter that age and I hope that she is never taunted by these words.
As far as the rolling of eyes(thought it was pretty clear), your posts are predictable. You're constatantly trying to play the role of victim, yet you can't see your own hypocracies. One doesn't have to use slurs, haven't you ever heard "actions speak louder than words"?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:47 AM
I think it might be the most important thing to teach kids and teenagers - that name calling about sexual preference, looks, race, gender, the way someone dresses, or whatever else one can think of is not acceptable. I do think it is especially important to emphasize this re sexual preference, cause it sure seems to me that it might be the most acceptable area of discrimination and hatred that exists today.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Go back and read the article. They are talking about ALL name calling. Take a look at Doozer's other post:

As far as the rolling of eyes(thought it was pretty clear), your posts are predictable. You're constatantly trying to play the role of victim, yet you can't see your own hypocracies. One doesn't have to use slurs, haven't you ever heard "actions speak louder than words"?
I read the article more than once, but let's to make a distinction to whether this is to benefit all students, or to slam those who have traditional beliefs. The article didn't focus broadly on the non-GLSEN groups who supported it, and it would've helped if it did. Yes, this could easily seem well-intended, but I for one would like to see it for what it really is. That would be my reason for pointing out something that wasn't consistent with how this cause is advertised.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I read the article more than once, but let's to make a distinction to whether this is to benefit all students, or to slam those who have traditional beliefs. The article didn't focus broadly on the non-GLSEN groups who supported it, and it would've helped if it did. Yes, this could easily seem well-intended, but I for one would like to see it for what it really is. That would be my reason for pointing out something that wasn't consistent with how this cause is advertised.
Now you're sounding like the one with the agenda. How is NO NAME CALLING not benefitting all students? Answer me that.

Quit looking at the who and look at the program itself.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:16 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Now you're sounding like the one with the agenda. How is NO NAME CALLING not benefitting all students? Answer me that.

Quit looking at the who and look at the program itself.
I just feel that it's fair to see if they are for real, or if it's a stunt. It's as simple as that.