Another Dubya quote!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheU2

Refugee
Per Cnn.com, Dubya was reported as saying:

"I've been to war. I've raised twins. If I had a choice, I'd rather go to war."

Giddy Up Dubya!!

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 01-27-2002).]

Am I the ONLY one on this planet that gives a shit about context?

From National Review Online:

"I've been to war. I've raised twins. If I had a choice, I'd rather go to war."--President Bush, speaking to Bob Kiss, Democratic speaker of the West Virginia House of Delegates, father of 5-week-old twin boys.

He was speaking to a man who just had twins. He wasn't make a serious address to the nation or talking to Major or Putin.

He was probably joking, schmucks.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 01-28-2002).]

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Am I the ONLY one on this planet that gives a shit about context?

From National Review Online:

"I've been to war. I've raised twins. If I had a choice, I'd rather go to war."--President Bush, speaking to Bob Kiss, Democratic speaker of the West Virginia House of Delegates, father of 5-week-old twin boys.

He was speaking to a man who just had twins. He wasn't make a serious address to the nation or talking to Major or Putin.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 01-28-2002).]

Yeah, but putting things in context takes the fun out of it. Plus, you're reaction is priceless.

A fundamentally conservative Democrat who voted for Rudy and Lazio,

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 01-28-2002).]

Sorry to burst your li'l bubble by introducing context.

Seriously, though, by going out of your way to carp on non-issues, you appear to be little more than a partisan, and that probably damages your reputation as a open-minded student of politics when there are more pressing issues to discuss.

In other words, pick your battles.

Originally posted by TheU2:
Yeah, but putting things in context takes the fun out of it. Plus, you're reaction is priceless.

A fundamentally conservative Democrat who voted for Rudy and Lazio,

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 01-28-2002).]

Haha... Bubba.. Thanks for educating us.. Something I also try and do in this forum.. I think I've been given clearance to open up a 'Lemonite Stand', by Mr. Knute himself. Yes, I am a big fan of The U2, His flair for all sides of things, whether they at times by controversial topics that some may deem unapproptiate.. I won't mention the thread, or his informative and intelligent posts, which I do find myself agreeing with a fair amount.. And he's funny.. in the process.. never taking himself too seriously as many people seem to do as opposed to the issues which is where the seriousness should be.

Hey.. isn't that great.. a bit of life history for ya.. ANyways, Knute.. I just was at parisis the other night and saw TY with a bunch of recruits at a dinner in the back.. with that usual Japanese piano player making rude faces and shit eating grins all over the place..

But Damn.. those recruits had plates of jumbo shrimp for their delight.. beats my rigatoni and meat sauce.

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-28-2002).]

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
I wonder how much of the rearing he did.

Is anyone going to release a book of Dubbyaisms???

Maybe a website of Bushisms - http://www.bushisms.com - would be of interest
wink.gif

Originally posted by U2live:
Chaney is getting a few good ones now. "I won't tell. You can't make me. I won't do it. I won't tell who made the energy policy, or who I met with, won't do it, can't make me."

Wow, that's mature. Did he follow it up by sticking his tongue out and then echoing everything the interviewer said?
wink.gif

Originally posted by Lemonite:
I think I've been given clearance to open up a 'Lemonite Stand', by Mr. Knute himself.

NO! I proposed the Lemonite Stand! You Irish like to give each other credit for everything, don't you? It was MY idea! A special place for you to post all of your interesting threads!

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by U2Bama:

NO! I proposed the Lemonite Stand! You Irish like to give each other credit for everything, don't you? It was MY idea! A special place for you to post all of your interesting threads!

~U2Alabama

Hahaha... OMG (Insert twelve year old face, which has been dressed up to look seventeen with a mouth screaming as if she had just seen justin timberlake) I'm sorry about that, It just slipped my mind.. I knew there was a 'U2' in teh name.. Apologies.. apologies.

I Remain,
Shitting in my sink,
L.Unplugged

And while we're on the topic of "Misspeaks", Did any of you hear Daschle drop the statement... 'Enron the American People'.. Which makes less sense than many of the things ya'llve shitted on bush for...

Here's a little excerpt from an article

EIB "Last week, Tom Daschle tried to coin the verb "to Enron," and in the process continued to become the butt of jokes. Daschle had accused the Bush administration of "Enroning" the American people, which made no sense. "

See.. Even though ya'll rip our man.. you still wanna be like him.

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-28-2002).]

Why don't you calm down a bit? Have a cookie. Of course he was joking, and nobody is disputing that. Dubya is nothing if not a funny guy - he really has a great sense of humour and self-depreciation. If you don't believe me, check out this speech transcript from whitehouse.gov: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/03/20010330-1.html

Too bad that you seem to be devoid of humour yourself. I do believe that it is perfectly possible to agree with and respect a man, yet still laugh at/with him on occasion - just look at Bono!

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Why don't you calm down a bit? Have a cookie. Of course he was joking, and nobody is disputing that. Dubya is nothing if not a funny guy - he really has a great sense of humour and self-depreciation. If you don't believe me, check out this speech transcript from whitehouse.gov: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/03/20010330-1.html

Too bad that you seem to be devoid of humour yourself. I do believe that it is perfectly possible to agree with and respect a man, yet still laugh at/with him on occasion - just look at Bono!
[/QUOTE]

Ya know.. I'm not so sure I agree with this statement.. of course, Angela will, Gonz will... And I'll take your word on your respect/poke fun at little reasoning, but I don't think that is the issue when it comes to the press, or other liberals.. Because it's a continual thing, and the liberals are just looking.. through a microscope it seems at times, and will use anything to denigrate, laugh at, shit upon, or ridicule George W. for,... Geezus.. I can't believe I've got to defend a sense of humor in me..

It becomes a bit weary to see huuge headlines over and over about W's latest flub.. and Klodomir.. of all people I'll laugh at anything, I get smacked upon time and time again in this forum, because I've just dropped piles of laughter on practically anything,

The SNL skits were hilarious, where they'd impersonate Bush, but I don't quite think that it is all just innocent laughter backed by a true respect for the man.. That's all, I know that you probably won't agree with me, but seriously, I'm not far off on this one.

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-29-2002).]

Oooooh, I called people "schmucks". Will the forum survive such a venomous verbal attack?

<sigh>

And I don't believe I have to defend myself on whether I have a sense of humor, Klod. Of course it's fine to laugh at the President's sense of humor; hell, I believe the quote (in context) demonstrates it. But you and I both know the difference between laughing with someone, laughing at someone, and genuine concern that the implication that the President is unqualified to be President - and this thread began from a position far too close to that implication.

Think I'm off my rocker? Watch SNL sometime, and look at the way they treated Ford, Reagan, Quayle, and - at least for a while - George W. Bush.

Further, it seemed to me at least THIS criticism had no bearing in reality, once you considered a minor thing like context. If those who posted previously had no idea, I was informing them. If they intentionally ignored the context, I was nailing them on it.

Sorry if that demonstrates a lack of a sense of humor.

Oooooh, I called people "schmucks". Will the forum survive such a venomous verbal attack?
Do you know what the word literally means, Bubba?

Btw, I wasn't implying that TheU2 posted out of respect for Bush, I was just suggesting that even by his supporters, it could be seen as funny. I'm sure he even intended it that way. I didn't read it as one of his "stupid" quotes, but one of his "funny" quotes.

Lemonite: not quite sure what you were saying there, but I do know you have a sense of humour. What I said was not directed at you.

Originally posted by Klodomir:

Lemonite: not quite sure what you were saying there, but I do know you have a sense of humour. What I said was not directed at you.

Oh I know bro... I was just replying that although his misspeaks are funny at times, It seems that it becomes a headline on CNN worthy of a Larry King Special each time one happens.. I just ended up using your 'quote' as the vehicle to express that point.

L.Unplugged

Hey Lemonite, that last post of yours was completely coherent. Are you feeling okay, buddy?

Back
Top Bottom