Another California Gem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, when you have incidents like the one a few years ago where a male morgue worker and his girlfriend were caught on tape molesting the body of a little girl and could only be charged with desecrating a corpse and not with sexually molesting her, the law needed to be changed.

These seemingly unimportant or non-issue things go through our legistature on a daily basis but we only hear about the silly or sensational ones.

Look, I'm with BAW on this one. Obviously this was a problem at some point in California. I mean, really, is this such a bad thing to have a law against? You'd want it, if it was your daughter's or father's or grandmother's dead body that was violated.

Still, though, is there ANY good argument about NOT having a law against the sexual violation of corpses? What kind of sicko would do this?

no, but if Ah-nold was more worried about health care there wouldn't be so many people dying and it wouldn't be such a problem.

Well, people are going to die, regardless of health care reforms.

I'm kind of upset that people are willing to shrug off the sexual abuse of corpses so readily. I'm not saying that Schwarzenegger doesn't have his problems, and honestly I know little about California politics, but are we really attacking the man because he signed a bill banning the sexual violation of dead bodies?

I think nbc was taking a dig at the work habits of the California legislature. They should look to our Republican-controlled Senate to see what kind of work is really important.

What seems odd is that we need another law on the books to address what would otherwise seem obvious. An entire set of the California Code fills a couple of book cases.

Yes, but as BAW mentioned, it apparently was NOT obvious.

Look, if you want to criticize tha CA legislature, surely they've proclaimed a Statewide Sweet Gherkin Week or something that you could make fun of. But this is pretty heavy stuff.

Last edited:
The handful of cases referred to in the link are just the ones where someone got caught.

Years ago, I worked for a PI firm that was handling a high profile case involving a California mortuary that was co-mingling cremains, stealing gold teeth, eyeballs, even artificial hip joints. Things came out of that investigation that the general public would be horrified to know, including one embalmer who regularly had sex with female corpses after the rest of the staff had gone home. The people in charge knew about it and looked the other way.

Laugh if you will or brush it off as unnecessary, but how would you feel if your 4 year old daughter was violated after death and there was NO law against it?

How would any you feel if this happened to your mother or grandmother?

Lawmakers revived the bill this year after an unsuccessful prosecution of a man found in a San Francisco funeral home drunk and passed out on top of an elderly woman's corpse.

nbcrusader said:
Wouldn't increasing the penalty for desecrating a corpse be more appropriate instead of calling it sexual abuse???

So sodomizing a dead 4 year old girl isn't serious enough to warrant its own separate punishment?

It is a corpse. However you mistreat it, there should be a penalty. Make it as harsh as you want.

I find the incident you site as disgusting as anything.

nbcrusader said:
It is a corpse. However you mistreat it, there should be a penalty. Make it as harsh as you want.

I find the incident you site as disgusting as anything.

Oh, yes. It's a sad state of affairs when they have to do this to stop really disgusting stuff.

I guess the question becomes one of how you treat a corpse. Should rights and protections given to living persons be extended to corpses? Or should desecration of corpse laws be revised?

I thought that this was what the law Schwarzenegger signed DID...impose harsher violations for the egregious abuse of corpses (that is, sexual abuse).

Well, I thought the arguments above were calling for a separate crime for sexual abuse, rather than just desecration of a corpse.

Or, in principle, how do you rank types of desecration of corpses?

Or, perhaps, we have beaten this subject too much.

Hm.......sexual abuse? I guess the politicians want to make sure California has a new sexual abuse law? Perhaps the incident mentioned was the catalyst for the law? I can't imagine us having a law like that here.

Back
Top Bottom