Another Bush is up for re-election, we need MacPhisto!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skwege

The Fly
Anyone remember when old man Bush was bitching about Bono constantly calling the White House during the concerts?

U2 is going back on tour next year. i fully support another visit from Mac or anyone else he deems to respresent him from his place.

Just happen to be listening to MacPhisto calling the UN during the ZooTV tour, live, from Dublin in 1993, he got a recording saying everyone was out to lunch at the time.. funny thing about timing.

I want them to ZooTV all over again, but I know this dream can't be realised. I also want them to POPMart again.

Professor Farnsworth: 'A man can dream, a man can dream...'

sue4u2 said:
Just happen to be listening to MacPhisto calling the UN during the ZooTV tour, live, from Dublin in 1993, he got a recording saying everyone was out to lunch at the time.. funny thing about timing.

Yeah, Zoo Europa is a great bootleg.
Nonetheless it would be funny if they called the next tour "Zoo Two". Just imagine Bono up there going "Welcome Back to ZooTV Y'all!"
Not necessarily a good idea, but it would be the ultimate nostalgia trip.

Bring back MacPhisto! Bring back MacPhisto! *continues chant*

Isn't Bush Jr. pals w/ Bono? ... Drop the Debt and AIDS imperative and all?

theSoulfulMofo said:
Isn't Bush Jr. pals w/ Bono? ... Drop the Debt and AIDS imperative and all?

Outside of some personal and professional courtesy, I doubt Bono wants Bush re-elected any more so than the rest of the world.

nbcrusader said:
Right - cause no rational person would support GWB.....

:rolleyes:

You said it, not me.
Frankly many of the People who support Bush are no irrational, they are just afraid. Bush and his handlers then use that fear to manipulate the American people.

Skwege said:

Outside of some personal and professional courtesy, I doubt Bono wants Bush re-elected any more so than the rest of the world.

From an article in The Age newspaper (full article is on the U2 News page of this site)... I think it's titled 'The Saint & The Ham' or something similar.

Bono obviously is not gonna say whether he wants Bush re-elected or not, but if he supported Bush it would be a monumental reversal of character and personality for Bono. Basically Bush has the key to the safe that Bono wants cash from.

Anyway, the article... (and a bit of his opinion on Bill Clinton for comparison :wink: )

-----------------------

Bono believes that he comes "from the other side of the road" to George Bush. "I've lost my colour in order to do the work that I do. The people who often pay for one's convictions are other people. But President Bush and the people around him and that I deal with regularly, and Colin Powell, have been true to their word dealing with me on two issues. One was something called the Millennium Challenge Account, into which he put $US10 billion for three years, which was a new way of seeing aid as a sort of fast track to countries that were tackling corruption and had good governments.

"We worked incredibly closely with them on the Millennium Challenge Account. As a result, I appeared in a photograph with President Bush. Now this, of course, set my band on edge, and meeting Jesse Helms and George Bush for someone like the Edge, he just can't get his head around it.

"But I have always said that there are too many lives at stake here to play politics. We have to elevate the debate. We have to, and I have to stay not bi-partisan but actually non-partisan.

"It is very important not to make caricatures of people. One of the caricatures of Bush in Europe is that he is a figurehead and that there are forces around him that are running the show. I am absolutely sure, having been in his company, that he is definitely in charge. That might make people even more nervous, but he has a passion for Africa and the AIDS emergency, and my job is to turn his passion into cash."

As for Bill Clinton, Bono describes him as "a brain on a stick".

"He has humour and he has a great ear for a new idea. Great ideas are like great melody lines. They have a certain inevitability, a certain clarity, a certain instant memorability. The striking thing about Bill Clinton's White House when he first came into office, and I spent some time there, was just how many young people, people younger than me, were in extremely important positions, because he always wanted fresh insights, fresh minds. I think that because he didn't get a majority in Congress, that he needed to get a lot of his ideas through, and because he got distracted with the Monica Lewinsky affair, I think we missed some of the greatness that he had in potential."

TylerDurden said:

Bono obviously is not gonna say whether he wants Bush re-elected or not, but if he supported Bush it would be a monumental reversal of character and personality for Bono. Basically Bush has the key to the safe that Bono wants cash from.

Anyway, the article... (and a bit of his opinion on Bill Clinton for comparison :wink: )

Unfortunately if Bono ever said anything negative about Bush, ol' Dubya would kill all of Bono's hardwork with a wave of a pen.
It surprises me how vindictive Bush is when it comes to people who say stuff about him, look what he did to New Zealand and France.

Skwege said:

Unfortunately if Bono ever said anything negative about Bush, ol' Dubya would kill all of Bono's hardwork with a wave of a pen.
It surprises me how vindictive Bush is when it comes to people who say stuff about him, look what he did to New Zealand and France.

Bush doesn't need to do anything, just check what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

What did Bush do to New Zealand? I know they got pissed off at comments from the New Zealand Prime Minister about how if Gore were in power, there would be no Iraq war, but I didn't think that they did anything about it.

As much as I'd dearly love to see Bono screaming anti-Bush till he goes blue, It's good that he sees which approach is really more important at the moment. He's got alot of politician in him.

TylerDurden said:

Bush doesn't need to do anything, just check what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

What did Bush do to New Zealand? I know they got pissed off at comments from the New Zealand Prime Minister about how if Gore were in power, there would be no Iraq war, but I didn't think that they did anything about it.

As much as I'd dearly love to see Bono screaming anti-Bush till he goes blue, It's good that he sees which approach is really more important at the moment. He's got alot of politician in him.

Unfortunately their are those shallow shills that accuse Bono of selling out to Bush. Of course those are the same idiots that believe Henry Rollins word for word.
Nonetheless I had friends move to New Zealand from the US recently. They're pretty bitter over the whole issue with a trade agreement Bush was entering into with Australia and NZ, but after the comments that the Prime Minister made, and then their refusal to send troops to Iraq, they got screwed out of the deal.
It's late. I can pull up some specifics in the morning.
Frankly this will sound rude, but anyone who supports Bush is either stupid or ignorant. Most likely both.

Skwege said:

Unfortunately their are those shallow shills that accuse Bono of selling out to Bush.

That stupid, it's quite simple. Bono needs the help of the current US President with this issue. The current US President is Bush. That's all.

I forgot about the Free Trade thing. They'll get it eventually.

Skwege said:

Frankly this will sound rude, but anyone who supports Bush is either stupid or ignorant. Most likely both.

I don't know about ignorant and stupid. I think a large percentage of Bush supporters would be ignorant, but not in a way that is really their fault. Just that they are the average working mums and dads who don't really pay much attention, go home at the end of the day and catch 10-15 minutes of FOX or CNN, and get suckered in by ratings driven news-entertainment.
They feel the fear you were talking about earlier, and find a news service that needs a war to out-rate their competitors. They make up the majority of voters. It's pretty much the same here in Australia (without the extreme ridiculousness of Fox News - which we do have, but it's just a feed of the US channel, i.e nothing local). And governments play up mostly to exactly those people.

There are obviously intelligent Bush voters, there are some here at FYM, but I'm not sure. I think it's partly republican/democrat, right/left allegiance blinkers being on, or just a different way of thinking. Or just not thinking enough, or outside the square enough. The 'War On Terror' for example, I can't see how anyone thinks that's working. Or will work in the long term. Anyone with a simple intelligence can tell you that as long as there is a need for a product, someone is going to sell it. No-matter how many salesmen you kill, there'll be another one. At the moment a large percentage of the earth has a problem and are screaming for a solution. It differs slightly from region to region, but they have a similar theme. There's a marketplace there for you to sell a solution to these people. At the moment only one group of people have bothered to try and target this market. Without any other option, millions bought what they were selling: Hate towards the West hidden behind a religion and a specific target that right or wrong, made it very easy for them to point the finger at. Now the US is trying to kill them. If they do, and then the US/West continues to ignore the problem, another salesman is going to pop up pretty quick.

Since this thread was about Bono & Africa, I'll bring it back to Bono & Africa...
He said, in regards to Africa, that one of the main reasons the HIV/AIDS problem should be solved quickly was that in say 10 years time you are going to have a huge percentage of the population of Africa wiped out. The West had the $ and drugs to help, but held back. The whole place will collapse in many ways, economically, governments etc. Millions of people upset and pissed off. A whole continent. A huge problem that will need a solution in 10 years or now. In 10 years, if no-one else steps up, another Osama Bin Laden type salesman could stand up in Africa and say "It happened to us, because of them, because they hate us, so we must go and get them." And if no-one else gives them another option, they'll buy that argument.

I think theres a link between a woman getting paid $1 a day in Indonesia to make Nikes that retail here in Sydney for $300 each, a farmer getting shafted in Brazil by a multinational mining company, an AIDS orphan in Africa, an angry young man in Saudi Arabia with no-where to direct his anger. Thats what needs to change and that change as sure as night follows day is not going to come from any fucking Bush. Instead Bush will basically tell them to do their job and keep quiet or else... and his supporters will cheer because... I really don't know.

Skwege there's a better way to describe anyone who supports Bush in here. Please either use an alternate description or don't say it at all. Its nothing more than a cheap insult as it is, ok?

BTW who has control over NZ's military now? I thought they were 'sold'...lol...

Angela Harlem said:
Skwege there's a better way to describe anyone who supports Bush in here. Please either use an alternate description or don't say it at all. Its nothing more than a cheap insult as it is, ok?

BTW who has control over NZ's military now? I thought they were 'sold'...lol...

Okay they are eighter stupid, ignorant, or excessively paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom