Ann Coulter calls John Edwards a "faggot"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
I absolutely abhor this woman. :angry:

At the Conservative Political Action Conference today, which was attended by 2008 Republican Presidential candidates Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, Mike Huckabee, Tom Tancredo (R-CO), Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS), former Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA) as well as Vice President Dick Cheney, Ann Coulter referred to Senator John Edwards as a "faggot".

After being introduced by Romney, who said "I am happy to hear that after you hear from me, you will hear from Ann Coulter. That is a good thing. Oh yeah!", Coulter took the stage and said:

"I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, but it turns out you have to go into rehab if you use the word ‘faggot,’ so I — so kind of an impasse, can’t really talk about Edwards." (video)

Coulter's comments were met with an audible gasp and then a smattering of applause and cheers. Disgusting.

It's not the first time Coulter has used anti-gay slurs as a form of insult. Last July she called Al Gore "a total fag".

HRC's Joe Solmonese issued this statement: "To interject this word into American political discourse is a vile and disgusting way to sink the debate to a new, all-time low. Make no doubt about it, these remarks go directly against what our Founding Fathers intended and have no place on the schoolyard, much less our country’s political arena. It is clear that some in the Republican Party plan to run in 2008 the same way they did in 2004, by using discrimination to divide the country and rally their base. But, 2008 is not 2004, and this time the politics of fear and smear will not work. The American people are tired of those who would rather divide than unite."

Solmonese also called on Republicans to come forward and condemn Coulter's hate speech:

“We demand that every single Presidential candidate in attendance at this conference, along with Vice President Cheney stand up and publicly condemn this type of gutter-style politics. If not, then their silence will be deafening to the vast majority of Americans who believe this type of language belongs no where near the discussions about the future of our country."

http://www.towleroad.com/2007/03/ann_coulter_cal.html

Why do people still give this woman the time of day? Let her and David Duke hang out and do coke, talk about the old days when they could lynch and just turn off all cameras when she's around.

She's a boil on the ass of society.

Wow, political debate is such a highly intellectual pleasure nowadays.

U2Girl1978 said:
I absolutely abhor this woman. :angry:

Solmonese also called on Republicans to come forward and condemn Coulter's hate speech:

“We demand that every single Presidential candidate in attendance at this conference, along with Vice President Cheney stand up and publicly condemn this type of gutter-style politics. If not, then their silence will be deafening to the vast majority of Americans who believe this type of language belongs no where near the discussions about the future of our country."

headsmash.gif

Why do they even invite her to speak? And why, just as stated above, do the the Republican candidates condemn her for saying this and as stated, her 'gutter-style politics'. They are just nailing the coffin tighter (and I'm NOT a Republican)

Re: Re: Ann Coulter calls John Edwards a "faggot"

Lila64 said:

Why do they even invite her to speak?

Because a lot of them still think this sort of thing is funny?

Why any sentient being would laugh at that is beyond me.

Ann coulter is an idiot.

But I still think giving her the power to anger you with words lets her win. She's really doing it for shock value. The way she said it, it was more of an jab at people who make a big deal out of saying that word and she got what she wanted.

i find it really embarrassing that the u.s. vicepresident is attending a conference where such words are used.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Ann coulter is an idiot.

But I still think giving her the power to anger you with words lets her win.

Let me ask you something, do you really think words have no power? Every thread about offensive language that we have you seem to come in and say the same thing, or repeat what was said for shock value.

So I'm being honest in asking you this...

Well, with people like Ann Coulter I really don't give a damn.

Why get upset about someone who is that stupid? Just waste of energy.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Let me ask you something, do you really think words have no power? Every thread about offensive language that we have you seem to come in and say the same thing, or repeat what was said for shock value.

So I'm being honest in asking you this...

I expected you to reply a little bit earlier.

I think words are given power.

I think people like Ann Coulter say these things for that exact reason: to piss you off. Needless to say, she was succesful.

What is your take on why she would say it? Do you really think she meant it? My guess is she didn't rally care for it but knew that people would get shocked about it. She knew it would piss people off and she said it and got what she wanted.

BrownEyedBoy said:

I expected you to reply a little bit earlier.

I think words are given power.

I think people like Ann Coulter say these things for that exact reason: to piss you off. Needless to say, she was succesful.

What is your take on why she would say it? Do you really think she meant it? My guess is she didn't rally care for it but knew that people would get shocked about it. She knew it would piss people off and she said it and got what she wanted.

I'm sure it's a little bit of both with her, she knows it will get a rise and that's how she feels.

Regardless words are powerful.

The constitution would be nothing without words. People are moved by lyrics and books. A friendly 'hello' may make a stranger's day. Just like a hurtful slur can hurt.

Don't ever dismiss the power of words.

No, just learn when to take them seriously. And when to ignore them, or just stand over them.

With certain people it's not really important what they say anymore, because they lost their credibility way before.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm sure it's a little bit of both with her, she knows it will get a rise and that's how she feels.

Regardless words are powerful.

The constitution would be nothing without words. People are moved by lyrics and books. A friendly 'hello' may make a stranger's day. Just like a hurtful slur can hurt.

Don't ever dismiss the power of words.

When I was in high school, I used to say really liberal and mean stuff (ie, im pro choice, im pro gay marriage, the pope is disposable because if he dies they'll just "hire" a new pope and all will be well, etc. You have to remember here and Honduras people are a lot more close minded) just to get a rise out of my classmates. I knew it would piss them off and I knew they would get worked up about stuff that wouldn't EVER get resolved by arguing with me. Even if they did manage to make me apologize what difference would it make??

Basically, what I'm trying to say is she's getting you worked up and you're letting her do it. What difference will it make if Ann Coulter apologizes? Will homophobia go away? Will people stop using the word "faggot" to offend others? Not at all.

So, ignore her and her little show and you will win.

Mock the devil...

Words are powerful only to an extent. Depends on where they come from and who is listening. If people ignore Ann Coulter except her base and she finds that she isn't getting a rise out of her enemy, she loses her effectiveness and power. The more media coverage and attention she gets, the more powerful she becomes.

Ann Coulter is a nobody who is still trying to make a buck off 9/11.

I ignore a lot of people whose words mean nothing to me because I do not value or respect their opinion so their words mean nothing. It took a lifetime of discrimination from small minded idiots to come to that realization. And upon doing so, they have no control over me or my life.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
i find it really embarrassing that the u.s. vicepresident is attending a conference where such words are used.

You mean the guy who told a senator to "fuck off," spoken right on the Senate floor?

Utoo said:

You mean the guy who told a senator to "fuck off," spoken right on the Senate floor?

Considerng what I'm accustomed to Australian politicians saying to and about each other, I found Cheney's "fuck off" to be one of the least shocking things he's said.

And with regards to Ann Coulter, I find her existence to actually be useful: if anyone actually takes her seriously and agrees with her, you can very easily just write off what they say and not bother wasting your time listening to them! Quick way to identify idiots, in other words, and from the original post, it seems Romney is evidently quite an idiot.

Axver said:

And with regards to Ann Coulter, I find her existence to actually be useful: if anyone actually takes her seriously and agrees with her, you can very easily just write off what they say and not bother wasting your time listening to them! Quick way to identify idiots, in other words, and from the original post, it seems Romney is evidently quite an idiot.

Good point, she is an excellent barometer for stupidity.:wink:

BrownEyedBoy said:

When I was in high school, I used to say really liberal and mean stuff (ie, im pro choice, im pro gay marriage, the pope is disposable because if he dies they'll just "hire" a new pope and all will be well, etc. You have to remember here and Honduras people are a lot more close minded) just to get a rise out of my classmates.

I agree a certain point with the rest of your post, but you still ignore the power of words overall.

But I'm a little confused about this part above... Why are you grouping "liberal" and "mean"?

trevster2k said:
Words are powerful only to an extent. Depends on where they come from and who is listening. If people ignore Ann Coulter except her base and she finds that she isn't getting a rise out of her enemy, she loses her effectiveness and power. The more media coverage and attention she gets, the more powerful she becomes.

Ann Coulter is a nobody who is still trying to make a buck off 9/11.

I ignore a lot of people whose words mean nothing to me because I do not value or respect their opinion so their words mean nothing. It took a lifetime of discrimination from small minded idiots to come to that realization. And upon doing so, they have no control over me or my life.

I agree, like I said, she's a boil, but she obviously still has a pretty big fanbase. So what do we do, to make them realize and ignore her? Because until that happens, they are still powerful.

It wasn't really grouping the words.

It's rather that in the eyes of the classmates those were mean things.

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:

You're right. Shame on him. He was suppossed to know what words were going to be used before showing up. :tsk:

this isnt the first time this woman has been using such words in public, is it?

I think it's almost as evil that Romney said hearing from her is a good thing. But I'm not surprised at all that he said that, as sad as it is to say. Actually it's more evil, because we already expect crap like that from Coulter.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But I'm a little confused about this part above... Why are you grouping "liberal" and "mean"?

I used mean stuff to say and liberal stuff to say and they both got my classmates riled up.

To be honest, I didn't quite figure out what words to use when I posted that... :wink: (English is my second language and sometimes it shows. )

One day, I think fairly soon, Ann Coulter is going to fall hard, and she's going to have to go on the Surreal Life and live with Howard K. Stern to make a buck, and it's going to be beautiful. :cute:

Back
Top Bottom