Ann Coulter calls John Edwards a "faggot" - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #91
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
This is even more offensive than what Coulter said at that convention.
"How can you have the mess we have in New Orleans, and not have had deep investigations of the federal government, the state government, the city government, and the failure of citizenship in the Ninth Ward, where 22,000 people were so uneducated and so unprepared, they literally couldn't get out of the way of a hurricane."
[/B]

I think maybe you're reading too much into it. I think he's saying they people of the 8th ward were uneducated about the hurricane and it's effects. I think he's saying the governments at all levels are to be blamed, not the residents. "Failure of citizenship" sounds to me like the people in positions of responsibility (who are citizens) failed the people. I don't think he's being racist here.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver

I think maybe you're reading too much into it. I think he's saying they people of the 8th ward were uneducated about the hurricane and it's effects. I think he's saying the governments at all levels are to be blamed, not the residents. "Failure of citizenship" sounds to me like the people in positions of responsibility (who are citizens) failed the people. I don't think he's being racist here.

interesting ... re-reading, i can see it how you understood it, though i would argue that he's blaming the people of the 9th ward as well as all levels of government, that they are themselves to blame though they may have been failed by society at many levels, which i don't altogether disagree with (everyone is a citizen, not just elected officials).

it does, however, beg the question as to where these people were supposed to go to get out of the way of the hurricane.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:56 PM
Why is Howard Stern given a free pass? He's just a vulgar as she is...only more Liberal.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

First of all, Howard Stern is not liberal. Have you ever listened to his idiotic views?

Second, Howard Stern wasn't speaking at some sort of DNC meeting or something similar. Ann was invited to CPAC, it's something entirely different than a shock jock who has his own show on satellite radio. How are you even missing this?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver

I see your point insofar as you could say people weren't educated about how to evacuate and all that-but did you read the other speech he gave in 2006 in that link? And even if that is how he meant it, he really needs to clarify that and use other words.

http://www.newt.org/backpage.asp?art=3773

"The last great domestic challenge I think is the fact that we have large structured government institutions that simply don’t work. You saw some of this with what happened in New Orleans and Katrina. The fact is, in Katrina, government failed. The federal government failed. The state of Louisiana failed. The city of New Orleans failed. And for 22,000 citizens in the lower 9th ward, citizenship failed. They literally did not have the education, the training, the habits of responsibility, or the capacity to get out of the way of a hurricane."

Habits of responsibility? Capacity? Knowing what I know about Newt, it all strikes me as a bunch of codewords and it sounds a certain way to me. Racist undertones at least even if you don't want to label it overtly racist. Those lazy, irresponsible, poor black folk with some sort of "diminished capacity"? Citizenship means citizens to me, not the people who were supposed to get them out of there.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Why is Howard Stern given a free pass? He's just a vulgar as she is...only more Liberal.
well,

if the Democrats invite him to be a guest speaker with all their Presidential Candidates and he calls Clarence Thomas or Condi the N word. I think we would hear about it.

a few weeks back Obama said lives have been "wasted" in Iraq.

He had to immediately apologize, and he did.

and then McCain goes on Letterman to announce he will be a Candidate and he says the same damn thing while on Letterman.

Yes, he did apologize.

He changed it to "sacrificed."
Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

anyway, back on track ... i suppose what i'm disappointed with, in ALL the candidates, is here is a perfect opportunity to acknolwedge the discrimination that gays and lesbians face every day, yet no one has yet to say the word "gay" in relation to Ms. Coulter's slur.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #98
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Another bad comparison.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #99
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:56 PM
They could say that Ann Coulters slur is so gay
Old 03-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #100
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
They could say that Ann Coulters slur is so gay

you should check out Sarah Silverman.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Be sure and lock up your cheese, first.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Be sure and lock up your cheese, first.

her show is brilliant.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #103
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Jesus is Magic made it onto my myspace
Old 03-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #104
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

... it all strikes me as a bunch of codewords and it sounds a certain way to me. Racist undertones at least even if you don't want to label it overtly racist. Those lazy, irresponsible, poor black folk with some sort of "diminished capacity"? Citizenship means citizens to me, not the people who were supposed to get them out of there.
That's it. I think politicians, journos, commentators and the like who hedge around things and vague their way out of any one point piss me off more than someone who's forthright with their view - whether it be blatantly offensive or not. There's plenty of good words in the English language. No need to dick around. A spade is a spade.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Jesus is Magic made it onto my myspace

she's got her own show on Comedy Central. it's just as good.