Ann Coulter calls John Edwards a "faggot"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WASHINGTON (CNN) – Conservative commentator and best-selling author Ann Coulter may find herself in the midst of a controversy for comments Monday suggesting America would be better if everyone was Christian.

Asked by CNBC host Donny Deutsch what the U.S. looks like in her dreams, Coulter said it would look like the Republican National Convention in 2004

"People were happy,” she said, according to a transcript provided to CNN by CNBC. “They're Christian. They're tolerant. They defend America."

When Deutsch responded, "It would be better if we were all Christian?" Coulter said "Yeah."

Deutsch, himself Jewish, continued to press Coulter on her remarks, asking, "We should just throw Judaism away and we should all be Christians then?"

"Yeah," Coulter responded, adding "Well, it's a lot easier. It's kind of a fast track."

"You can't possibly believe that," Deutsch responded. “You can’t possibly. You’re too educated.”

"Do you know what Christianity is?" Coulter replied. "See, we believe your religion, but you have to obey. We have the fast track program."

Later in the interview Deutsch asked Coulter if she doesn't want any Jews in the world, Coulter responded, "No, we think — we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say."

"Wow, you didn't really say that, did you," Deutsch said.

"Yeah, no,” Coulter replied. “That’s what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express. You have to obey laws. We know we're all sinners."

Deutsch said he was personally offended.

"No. I'm sorry. It is not intended to be," she said. "I don't think you should take it that way, but that is what Christians consider themselves: perfected Jews. We believe the Old Testament. As you know from the Old Testament, God was constantly getting fed up with humans for not being able to live up to all the laws. What Christians believe — this is just a statement of what the New Testament is — is that that's why Christ came and died for our sins. Christians believe the Old Testament. You don't believe our testament."

Deutsch continued to call Coulter's comments anti-semetic.

"No, no, — I don't want you being offended by this," she responded. "This is what Christians consider themselves, because our testament is the continuation of your testament. You know that. So we think Jews go to heaven. I mean, [the late Rev. Jerry] Falwell himself said that, but you have to follow laws. Ours is "Christ died for our sins." We consider ourselves perfected Christians. For me to say that for you to become a Christian is to become a perfected Christian is not offensive at all."

When they showed it on CNN I had to turn it off before I threw a remote at the TV :lol:

3 things make me yell in anger:
Sporting events
Stupid drivers
Ann Coulter. The woman is certifiable.

U2democrat said:
When they showed it on CNN I had to turn it off before I threw a remote at the TV :lol:

3 things make me yell in anger:
Sporting events
Stupid drivers
Ann Coulter. The woman is certifiable.

I'm with you on 2 and 3. I would add uptight fundies to my list instead of sports.

I've heard that view stated many times with only slight variations. Personally, I want people like that to keep talking so everybody knows what kind of deck they're dealing from.

If she were a German, it would have been her last public appearance. :shrug:

Very strange woman.

Reading those quotes, she wasn't making a ton of sense...she seemed a bit "off". You don't suppose she was into Rush's stash do you?

sorry guys,
you are wrong

Ann was just telling it like it is

there is a large portion, perhaps even a majority of born- again, or evangelical Christians in America that believe what she stated
they just don't say it in such blunt, flippant terms

Bill Clinton had an intern service him.

(I'm just putting it out there to get it out of the way)

deep said:
sorry guys,
you are wrong

there is a large portion, perhaps even a majority of born- again, or evangelical Christians in America that believe what she stated

I was thinking this too. She's the only one with the guts to say what many conservative Christians actually think.

martha said:

I was thinking this too. She's the only one with the guts to say what many conservative Christians actually think.

And they are far less complimentary to faiths other than Judaism...

deep said:
sorry guys,
you are wrong

Actually I think this is 100% correct.

Ask any Christian, well, more pointedly a Fundamental Christian, that you know, what happens to the other 4.5 billion people on this planet if 'The Rapture' happened tomorrow.

Most would dance around it.

I'd like to hear George W Bush asked that question.
In public.
On national TV.

If he were honest, he might not use the same terms as Coulter but he'd agree in principle.

BonosSaint said:
Personally, I want people like that to keep talking so everybody knows what kind of deck they're dealing from.

I agree. One can silence somebody for expressing views like that, but the thoughts will still be there regardless, and they'll find other means of expressing them anyway. So just let 'em rant and shake your head in dismay.

CTU2fan said:
Reading those quotes, she wasn't making a ton of sense...she seemed a bit "off". You don't suppose she was into Rush's stash do you?

Maybe it's the same one O'Reilly's been getting into lately. All three of them seem to be having a bit of a "foot in mouth" syndrome about them right now (granted, it seems they always have, but...).

(Oh, and speaking of stupid remarks, did anyone hear about the comment made by one guy on one of the news channels (I can't remember his name right now, nor which station he worked at-was it CNN?) about that shooter in Ohio the other day? WTF was with the "logic" behind that-where on earth did that come from?)

anitram said:

*Does that little drum thing reserved for jokes* Nice :).

Angela

anitram said:

But Bill is a Christian, so it's all good :)

U2DMfan said:
Actually I think this is 100% correct.

Ask any Christian, well, more pointedly a Fundamental Christian, that you know, what happens to the other 4.5 billion people on this planet if 'The Rapture' happened tomorrow.

Most would dance around it.

I'd like to hear George W Bush asked that question.
In public.
On national TV.

If he were honest, he might not use the same terms as Coulter but he'd agree in principle.

While I agree with the first bit, I honestly don't think Bush is in that group. He'd like them to think he is, so if asked in front of a big fundie rally he'd probably agree, but if he were being 100% honest I'm pretty sure he'd pass. I think GWB only does the dance because they're a big part of his base - I also don't think he's as hardline on moral issues, personally, as he'd have you believe.

Since when is Coulter an actual Christian? I thought she just used Christianity as one of her many ways of making a buck by being one of these so-called Right Wing Truth Tellers.

I'm a pretty conservative Christian, I suppose, and I don't see Jews as somehow deficient or going to hell. (Course I don't believe in hell, but you know what I mean).

I'm simply amazed this woman has taken her foot out of her mouth long enough to make a coherent statement. Wow - faggot, huh?

John: do not dignify this statement with a response.

Hinder said:
I'm simply amazed this woman has taken her foot out of her mouth long enough to make a coherent statement. Wow - faggot, huh?

John: do not dignify this statement with a response.

You do know this happened in March right?

The thread has returned because of Coulter's newest comments on Christianity in America.

Guys, I hate to tell you, even though Ann is a troll, what she stated, specifically

No. I'm sorry. It is not intended to be," she said. "I don't think you should take it that way, but that is what Christians consider themselves: perfected Jews. We believe the Old Testament. As you know from the Old Testament, God was constantly getting fed up with humans for not being able to live up to all the laws. What Christians believe — this is just a statement of what the New Testament is — is that that's why Christ came and died for our sins. Christians believe the Old Testament. You don't believe our testament."

Is exactly what Jesus and the new testament are all about. That is the essence of Christianity, and specifically the idea of "Grace". That is the "New Testament", and the idea is that it is a radical departure from the old testament.

Hence, the reason for the Pharisees going ballistic and organizing Jesus' execution.

If Ann were talking to the Pharisees like this, Deutsch would have gone to the Romans shortly thereafter, to have her arrested.

I've heard others, mainly conservative Christians, state what Ann has said before, so, no, it's nothing altogether new like MadelynIris has noted.

I think the trouble is that a lot of these Christians--Ann included--often say it in the most offensive way possible. That certainly isn't going to win over any converts, but it makes the base quite happy.

Back
Top Bottom