Anit War Racism.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
COMMENTARY: The Racism of the Anti War Movement
LAST UPDATE: 8/27/2005 5:47:25 PM
Posted By: Jim Forsyth
This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

By Jim Forsyth, News Radio 1200 WOAI

Like most Texas reporters, I have made the pilgrimage to interview Cindy Sheehan and her anti war comrades parked in front of Crawford. One of the made-for-television signs held up behind Cindy during the news event I attended was particularly disturbing. "Iraq," read the sign held aloft by two prosperous looking white women,"is Arabic for Vietnam."

By holding this sign, I presume they would favor that the Iraq war end the same way the war in Vietnam ended. I also presume that this means they would not oppose the same fate for the people of Iraq that befell the people of Vietnam and Cambodia after the end of US involvement there, which was one of the more horrible in the sorry annals of twentieth century tyranny. But in 1975, we were told by the anti war crowd that, after all, they were only Asians, they probably couldn't understand democracy anyway, and knew it wouldn't work 'for them.' Its sad to see the same attitude repeated today, that its not worth the blood of white Americans like Casey Sheehan to win freedom and democracy for 'those people,' in this case, brown skinned Arab Muslims.

Even if you drink every last drop of the anti war Kool Aid, even if you are convinced that President Bush was ordered by the Chairman of Halliburton to start the Iraq war and that he intentionally lied to the American people about the existence of weapons of mass destruction, the simple fact is that today, there is demonstrably more freedom for the people of Iraq and for the people of Afghanistan, some 50 million brown skinned Muslims. Yes, there is dawdling over the drafting of an Iraqi constitution, but before April of 2003, metal shredders and rape rooms awaited any Iraqi who breathed the word 'constitution.' Yes, a brutal insurgency continues to threaten the Iraqi people, an insurgency which has killed some 25,000 Iraqi civilians since April of 2003. But Saddam Hussein, even by conservative estimates, butchered 1.5 million Iraqis during his 25 years in power (not counting the one million who died in the war he started with Iran). So Saddam and his goons killed an average of 60,000 people a year, while the insurgency has killed 25,000 in two and a half years. Despite the hand-wringing over the insurgency, the devil's arithmetic would indicate that life for the average Iraq is actually safer today than it was under Saddam. But they're brown skimmed Muslims, so not worthy of America's notice, let alone America's sacrifice.

President Bush is actually the greatest liberator of Muslims in history, considering that there weren't 50 million people in the entire MIddle East when Saladin beat back the Crusader hordes. But to the anti war activists, providing freedom from slavery, democratic and economic opportunity to brown skinned people isn't worth the sacrifice of white Americans. Good thing they weren't around when Lincoln was drafting the Emancipation Proclamation.

I recently watched the magnificent Don Cheadle film "Hotel Rwanda" with a group of friends, certified Bush Bashing Democrats all. After it was over, the general murmur in the room was 'why didn't America do something!' to stop the carnage in Rwanda. If Cindy Sheehan were to get her way, and President Bush would be 'impeached and tried for war crimes' over his wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, as she has demanded, the real losers will be the future citizens of Rwanda, and the other places where brutal dictators will have free reign to massacre people in large numbers, knowing that American leaders will pay too high a political price for them to get involved and 'do something.' And I don't think many of those places will be populated by white Europeans.

But Saddam wasn't that bad... blah blah... and who are we to come in and eject him...blah blah... and this war has cost a lot of money and 1500 lives...blah blah.....

And W talks funny... blah...and its really the christians that put him up to it...blah...and actually its israels fault...blah...

Well I do think Bush lied about the WMDs, but that's what presidents are supposed to do. I think the goal was to show the region who's boss with the Afghanistan invasion, and in the case of Iraq to establish a base and an ally in the heart of the region. Liberating 50 million people from brutal regimes was a nice byproduct though, and most regions of both these countries, with the exception of Bagdhad and a few other Iraqi cities, are very peaceful.

I still think we need to pull out, and soon. Not because it's the first step in trying Bush for war crimes, but because I honestly don't know what we're still doing there (in Iraq mainly). I think if you look at the polls, most Iraqis are glad to be rid of Saddam, but weary of the Americans all the same and who could blame them? We need to show a significant amount of troops withdrawing. Preferably preceded by a big ceremony where we declare that the Iraqi forces are ready, I think a big banner reading "Mission Accomplished" would do the trick. :wink:

I just feel like our guys are nothing more than moving targets at this point. What do they really do except patrol around and get shot at/blown up? It's a shitty situation and I think it would be better for the Iraqis and our troops if we made a significant troop reduction as soon as logistically possible.

MadelynIris said:
But Saddam wasn't that bad... blah blah... and who are we to come in and eject him...blah blah... and this war has cost a lot of money and 1500 lives...blah blah.....

And W talks funny... blah...and its really the christians that put him up to it...blah...and actually its israels fault...blah...

Do I need to resurrect my GOP traitors thread?

Melon

Presidents lying to the public is a time-honored tradition. Eisenhower once claimed he had the flu when he'd actually had a massive heart attack. That's no longer possible because of media scrutiny and changed attitudes towards political officials, but some dishonesty is par for the course except for a really squeaky clean pol.

By holding this sign, I presume they would favor that the Iraq war end the same way the war in Vietnam ended.

Yeah....I'm sure that's just what those homo-lovin, tree-huggin, baby-killing, America-hating liberals want. :rolleyes:

By holding those signs, they are protesting the way this war is being handled so it DOESN'T end up like Vietnam.

Well, if Bush lied about WMD, I guess every other Intel agency in the world lied with him. They all said he had the stuff. Russia, UK, Israel. So I guess they lied too?

Abomb-baby said:
Well, if Bush lied about WMD, I guess every other Intel agency in the world lied with him. They all said he had the stuff. Russia, UK, Israel. So I guess they lied too?

no. we were just stupid enough to believe the intel, drum it up to the point where it was a crisis that threatened the lives of each and every american, and then go to war over it in a timetable advantageous to the election cycle.

Back
Top Bottom