Angry Professor - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
Local Time: 07:08 AM
If this is real, I'd like to send the professor a fruit basket.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 03:08 AM
I love reading your posts

Old 01-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:38 AM
Poor professors!! I totally understandthis one but I think he overreacted
Old 01-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:08 AM
I don't know... it seems there are some people who think a ringing cell phone overrides all etiquette - including professional.
I was actually going over the employee handbook about calling in before one is scheduled to clock in (if you are going to be late or absent) when said employee answered his cell phone and started to discuss what they needed for dinner.
I couldn't believe it, he actually put his finger up like "one moment".
I wrote him up for not coming in on time and cell phones on the floor violation. He went too far. But I would never destroy personal property. (I don't think)
Old 01-07-2007, 02:31 AM   #20
Local Time: 12:08 AM
Yeah, my vote goes for it being staged as well... Why would a person film their class in the first place? I've never seen that happen. Also, I agree with melon - the camera person immediately knew to film the cell phone guy.

However... if this is real... WOW. LOL. I've had a professor who started yelling at someone who didn't turn their ringer off, but never anything as dramatic as this video. I wonder why no one really gasped after he threw it on the floor... maybe it was just a stunned silence.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #21
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:08 PM
One of my lecturers in first year would take a phone of somebody march down the front and take a whomp at a phone with a geology hammer; it was a switch but it got a good response.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by anitram
Assume it wasn't fake.

He's completely out of line for destroying personal property. That's just as outrageous to me as the kid answering the phone. What's next? Dumping laptops on the floor because somebody is playing online poker?
Nah, I'd push his chips all-in with 72offsuit/fold the nuts on the river/etc.

Seriously though, if a cell phone goes off during my class I'll usually ignore it and keep talking. Typically the student will frantically try to shut it off. If it continues to be a problem (if it rings again, or if the student actually answers the call) I'd probably kick the student out of class. Fortunately, I've never had to do this. (FWIW, I teach mathematics at a large public university, and my classes have anywhere from 30 to 200 students.)

Taking punitive action of any sort (material or grade-wise) is unjustified. If the class grade has a participation component to it, I guess you could justify docking the student's grade on those grounds, but even then I would be hesitant to hurt a student's grade if his cell phone just went off once.

When I was a grad student, I went to a research seminar once where a prof in the audience had his phone go off. The presenter said "I've been teaching freshmen and sophomores for the last X years, and I've never had a cell phone go off in one of my classes." That was hilarious.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #23
love, blood, life
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Oops, I guess it might be fake
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm pretty sure it's fake too.

The camera operator clearly anticipates what's going to happen. Goes straight to the cell phone user, and even kind of jogs the camera back in the direction of the professor again seemingly anticipating what is going to happen next.

As already mentioned, the lack of response from the audience as well. No gasps of surprise or anything.

Also while it's possible that the professor would stay completely calm while doing that (I know I'm extraordinarily good at staying totally cool while dispensing disicipline), it seems unlikely that he wouldn't have said something as well. An act of violence like that, even if you're trying to stay cool, is going to show more than that.

Finally, I know there are young professors, but I'm guessing that some students set the whole thing up in an empty classroom and that the "professor" is a student as well.

If it were real, of course it would be completely unacceptable behavior on the part of the professor.

As to cell phones in the classroom. . .guess who has taken calls in the middle of class on more than one occasion Does the fact that I'm the teacher make it any better? I suspect not. .
Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:08 AM
Originally posted by speedracer

Taking punitive action of any sort (material or grade-wise) is unjustified. If the class grade has a participation component to it, I guess you could justify docking the student's grade on those grounds, but even then I would be hesitant to hurt a student's grade if his cell phone just went off once.
Most of my classes did have some punishment for cell phone use. However, our classes were mostly seminar, not lecture, and most of my professors did require attendance and had ways of grading for participation.

Cell phone policies are always clearly stated on the syllabus, so there's really no excuse. They're usually empty threats since the kids get scared and don't use them. I had one prof who told us on the first day that the first time a cell phone rang, you'd be asked to leave, the second time, you'd be docked a full letter grade, and the third time, the phone was his. The entire semester there was never a single incident of a phone ringing.

Laptops were not much of an issue because not many people used them in seminar classes. I usually had mine along because I used it between classes, and once in a while a prof would ask me to pull up some information relevant to the discussion, but generally there were not many students surfing the 'net during class unless they didn't care about getting docked for lack of participation.

None of these policies ever bothered me. If you can't remember something so simple as turning off your phone or putting it on vibrate, you probably have no business in these classes.