Angel's Action Alert: Letter to New Tres. Secretary John Snow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Here it is. You know what to do. Also, I just updated the Angel's website. If your name isn't there and should be (that is, you've written, called, protested, donated, etc., etc.,) let me know and I'm glad to add you. New links up and the message board should be working again. LOL. ;)

Happy cuttin' and pastin'. Print out three copies and make yer friends send 'em. :mac:

Sec. John Snow
1500 Pennsylvania Ave,
N.W. Washington, D.C. 20220

Dear Sec. Snow:

Congratulations on your new position as Secretary of the Treasury of the United States! As a fellow citizen, welcome and warmest wishes for your tenure!
I am writing to express my hope that, as the nation?s Treasurer, you will use your position to alleviate the suffering that is so rampant, especially in sub-Saharan Africa. As you are no doubt aware, the rate at which children and their parents are dying of completely preventable causes such as AIDS, TB, malaria and sheer hunger is staggering. Just by the time I finish typing this letter, over twenty people will have died. And yet the countries that suffer the most spend their money financing debts to rich nations instead of improving (or creating) education, health services and basic infrastructure! Your new position, of course, gives you the power to change this.
America is one of the richest countries in the world; yet we only give .1 of a percent of our GPD! I join millions of other Americans in believing that this needs to be increased to .7 percent and that the debt of HIPCs should be cancelled that those nations might be given a fresh start to invest in their own people. This is, of course, in their best interests. Yet it is also in America?s best interests! For example, a proper investment of aid money now, along with debt cancellation and trade law reform, will eliminate the need for millions to be spent on foreign aid in the future. Secondly, with the world an ever-shrinking global community, it is in America?s national security interests to have prosperous and therefore more stable neighbors. Countries losing nearly half their population to starvation and disease are unable to be allies in the War on Terror, and even more disconcertingly, they make easy prey for terrorists who would seek support by offering America as a scapegoat. Finally, though, and more simply, it?s simply the right thing to do!
Again, welcome to office! My thoughts and prayers will be with you!

Sincerely,

Thanks for posting this! I will send off a letter to Sec'y Snow as well as pass this along, but I wanted to clarify something first. We are currently giving one-tenth of a percent of our GPD and that should be raised to seven-tenths of a percent, true?

Yes, we now give .1 %. DATA, CID and other likeminded groups are asking for .7. That's like 7 cents per every $10. Not much to ask, really.

Thanks for sending this letter off. I'd ask anyone else who agrees with the ideas expressed to do the same.

:)

SD

Back
Top Bottom