Angel Action Alert: Call In Day Before The G8!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Thanks to your support, when the G-8 meet in Scotland next week they are likely to approve a deal struck by Finance Ministers on June 11 for 100% cancellation.

While we celebrate the progress, we need your help to urge President Bush and Treasury Secretary Snow and the G-8 to EXPAND THE LIST and CUT THE CONDITIONS. 62 nations require 100% debt cancellation to meet the Millennium Development Goals, and 50 nations are covered by the bi-partisan JUBILEE Act. Debt cancellation for additional countries must come without harmful economic conditions attached. The summit of the G-8 will take place in Scotland from July 6-8. We need to keep the pressure on the G-8 to EXPAND THE LIST and CUT THE CONDITIONS.

CALL THE WHITE HOUSE TOMORROW ON JUNE 29 -- ONE WEEK BEFORE THE G-8 SUMMIT

We are asking Jubilee and debt cancellation supporters should flood the White House phone lines.

On June 29, call the White House at 202-456-1414 (switchboard) or 202-456-1111 (comment line)

When you call say:
• I'd like to thank President Bush for announcing 100% debt cancellation for 18 countries to the IMF, World Bank, and African
Development Fund; this is an important first step.
• I urge the President to EXPAND THE LIST of countries to receive debt cancellation to at least the 50 nations included in the bi-partisan JUBILEE Act. 62 nations require debt cancellation to meet development goals supported by the US government.
• I ask that the President CUT THE CONDITIONS – Debt cancellation must not be conditioned on nations meeting harmful economic conditions imposed by the IMF and World Bank.

You know, I haven't heard. Nothing has come thru my email. But if it does, I'll post it here. :)

Thanks for your interest and ALL you do on this issue, BA! :up: :angel:

And thanks to all the other Angels who called! :)

Here's a little something I found on our college's website (don't know the guy, but kudos!):

Fileta to Scotland for ONE Campaign
June 29, 2005

Jason Fileta, a May 2005 graduate of Calvin College, has been selected by the ONE Campaign as a member of a 100-person delegation to meetings surrounding the G8 Summit in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Fileta, who graduated with degrees in sociology and third-world development, will be one of 25 Bread for the World representatives attending the ONE Campaign's Edinburgh events, educating attendees about issues of global hunger and disease and world poverty.

"Jason is both organized and visionary, and that's an amazing combination," says Abby Jansen, who works in Michigan for Bread for the World and the ONE Campaign. "I'm excited by what he and others can accomplish by witnessing for justice in Scotland."

The ONE Campaign is a collaborative effort between faith-based and nonprofit organizations - Bread for the World, CARE, DATA, International Medical Corps, International Rescue Committee, Mercy Corps, Oxfam America, Plan USA, Save the Children US, World Concern and World Vision among them - to influence leaders in the world's richest countries to combat hunger and poverty in the world's poorest countries.

The campaign focuses around this year's G8 Summit, hosted by Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blair, July 6-9 at Gleneagles in Scotland, which brings together leaders of the world's industrial democracies - the USA; Canada; Great Britain; France; Germany; Italy; Japan and Russia - to negotiate aid packages and other solutions to global poverty, hunger and disease.

The ONE Campaign's many events are geared to raising consciousness about these issues and persuading governments to take them seriously.

Celebrities as disparate as George Clooney, Nelson Mandela and Pat Robertson have united as spokespersons for the ONE Campaign, an effort that also has drawn the support of such respected evangelicals as Rick Warren and Billy Graham. Yet, while the celebrity endorsements lend visibility to the cause, it is young people like Fileta who will actually change government policies on world hunger, poverty and disease, says Larry Hollar, a regional organizer for Bread for the World.

"Hard political work, the work that's going on year in and year out, happens because of people like Jason who take the time to learn about the issues and take action on them," Hollar says.

Hollar and Jansen selected Fileta as a delegate to Scotland after working with him on world hunger initiatives at Calvin.

One of several leaders of Calvin's Social Justice Coalition (SJC), Fileta targeted world hunger as his issue and organized several events to raising awareness about it.

"World hunger has always been my focus, because that is a problem we can actually solve, and we have the means to solve it," Fileta says. "I think everyone can agree that hunger is not proper for humanity, especially when we have this much food and money."

One event which Fileta helped to lead was the SJC's distribution of Peter Fish - orange plastic fish banks - during World Hunger Week in October, an effort that netted over $6,000 for world hunger. He also brought Hollar and Jansen to campus to teach workshops and planned events tied to Bread for the World and the ONE Campaign.

"As I think of young activists who are already making their mark on the advocacy movement on hunger and justice, Jason is at the top of the list," Hollar says. "Given his experience, his thoughtful Christian perspective and his passionate heart for the issues in the One Campaign, it was obvious that Jason's voice and presence would be a powerful part of this U.S. delegation to the G-8 summit."

Fileta will begin his work as a ONE Campaign delegate on July 2 by attending Philadelphia's Live 8 concert, one of ten concerts to be staged worldwide and tied to the campaign. He will then head to Scotland for the G-8 Summit.

After his return from Scotland, he will begin working as a field organizer for the Christian Reformed Church's office of social justice and hunger action, establishing social justice coalitions at colleges all over the country.

~written by media relations staff writer Myrna Anderson

I was never able to join the social justice committee :( They always meet when I have class and/or work.

Back
Top Bottom