Andrew Young Exposes Himself As A Racist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Andrew Young Steps Down From Wal-Mart

ATLANTA -- Civil rights leader Andrew Young, who was hired to help Wal-Mart Stores Inc. improve its public image, said early Friday he was stepping down from his position as head of an outside support group amid criticism for remarks seen as racially offensive.

Young, a former Atlanta mayor and U.N. ambassador, was hired by Working Families for Wal-Mart in February.

"I think I was on the verge of becoming part of the controversy, and I didn't want to become a distraction from the main issues, so I thought I ought to step down," Young told The Associated Press.

Young, once a close associate of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., said his decision to step down followed a report in the weekly Los Angeles Sentinel, which he said was misread and misinterpreted.

In the Sentinel interview, Young was asked about whether he was concerned Wal-Mart causes smaller, mom-and-pop stores to close.

"Well, I think they should; they ran the `mom and pop' stores out of my neighborhood," the paper quoted Young as saying. "But you see, those are the people who have been overcharging us, selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables. And they sold out and moved to Florida. I think they've ripped off our communities enough. First it was Jews, then it was Koreans and now it's Arabs; very few black people own these stores."

Last edited:
saw this in the paper, too

it is indefensible

and no defense was offered

Young, in an interview Thursday night from his Atlanta home, expressed regret.

"I understand I've created a whole firestorm out there," Young said. "It's unfortunate and I should not have said it, and I apologize for it. It has not been my experience or my meaning."

Amanda Susskind, regional director for the Los Angeles Anti-Defamation League, said that although she was disturbed by Young's comments, she was relieved to see his full and unequivocal apology.

Young on Thursday asked for forgiveness for his comments.

"That's not how I feel and not how I am, but
it is a demagogic statement," he said.

"It's the kind of statement that I have always spoken and worked against."

Last edited:
Are we having a competiton to decide who is the most politically correct amongst us?

I finally got around to reading the article in Thursday's LA Times. Young readily admits what he said was racist, uses the word "racist" to refer to his comments, and then apologizes. He clarifies what he meant, and then again says his wording was unacceptable (my word, not his).

martha said:
I finally got around to reading the article in Thursday's LA Times. Young readily admits what he said was racist, uses the word "racist" to refer to his comments, and then apologizes. He clarifies what he meant, and then again says his wording was unacceptable (my word, not his).

my post,

the 3rd one in this thread

points that out, too.

that is the differece
between this and George Allen's remarks

I think we all have some racist attitudes.

I think his remarks were racist.

The fact that he owned up to it
indicates that he does support racist beliefs.

Extremely disappointing. Did he become such an apologist for Wal Mart that it made him willing to express bigotry such as that? No matter, it's still racist and completely unacceptable.

deep said:
I think we all have some racist attitudes.

I think his remarks were racist.

I think this is a very fair statement.

My specific question was Is Andrew Young a racist? not, Did Andrew Young make a racist statement? This is the far more difficult question (as it carries a far greater implication), and the one that has cause such a rub in other threads (as well as here.)

A racist statement is far different that a racist person. In the rush to judgment, people usually take a racist statement as enough evidence to apply the scarlet “R” and label the person racist. This raises a couple of issues. First, if the proposition that the racist statement makes the racist is true, then we are looking at Andrew Young, the lifelong racist (no one would suggest that he woke up one morning and decided to be a racist). If that is the case, he either hid it well during his years of public service, or people were willing to look the other way.

Second, labeling one a racist implies that they live with the active and intentional belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. On the other hand, a racist statement could simply be one that is insensitive, offensive, or subsequently deemed offensive. Intent may or may not be a part of making the statement.

While I’m sure an apology is appreciated, I’m not sure what weight it has to remove the label once it is in place. An apology occurs in nearly every instance of a racially insensitive statement, the genuineness of which is un-measurable. The “acceptance” of such an apology is often loaded with the same prejudices that exist when the label is placed on the person.

The apology also overlooks why the statement was made. Are there legitimate frustrations that triggered the statement? What if Young had comprehensive data regarding small businesses – would that even be considered? Is there room for such analysis – or do we go directly to the racist label?

Equally troubling is the notion that a racially insensitive statement is only cured by loss of position. Throwing down the gauntlet of moral superiority by falling on one’s sword is a horrible practice (and one ratcheted up by Gingrich back in the 90’s).

As for the rate of response to these threads, lack of criticism (or deferred criticism towards Wal-Mart) is as bad as or worse (as FYM social commentary) than the lack of “defenders” for Young.

nbcrusader said:

Second, labeling one a racist implies that they live with the active and intentional belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. On the other hand, a racist statement could simply be one that is insensitive, offensive, or subsequently deemed offensive. Intent may or may not be a part of making the statement.

I disagree. I do believe a racist comment does make a racist. But I don't believe a racist has to necessarily be one that lives with the active and intentional belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. Humans can live with many subconscious hates and judgements that are written in their hearts. Hatred can be active and intentional but also subconscious. I also don't see the label racist as a lifelong label. People can change and education is the most important tool in creating this change.

California Korean grocery group sues Andrew Young over remarks

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - A Korean grocers' group sued former U.N. ambassador Andrew Young for libel for claiming that they and other market owners "ripped off" blacks.

The suit, filed last week in Los Angeles County Superior Court, also names the Wal-Mart store chain and seeks at least $7.5 million in damages.

The former Atlanta mayor resigned as head of a Wal-Mart advocacy group on Aug. 18 amid controversy over comments he made to the weekly, black-owned Los Angeles Sentinel.

In an interview, Young said that Wal-Mart competition had forced smaller, "mom-and-pop" stores out of his neighborhood.

"But you see, those are the people who have been overcharging us, selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables," Young said. "And they sold out and moved to Florida. I think they've ripped off our communities enough. First it was Jews, then it was Koreans and now it's Arabs; very few black people own these stores."

He apologized later.

The libel suit was filed by the California Korean American Grocery Retailer Association.

"Most members are very upset," said Gene Park, the association's secretary and owner of a liquor store in Los Angeles. "There is no evidence that members sold those kinds of spoiled items. ... If people think we charge higher prices or sell bad food, they won't come in anymore."

"Until we can finish studying the complaint, it wouldn't be right to comment on it," Wal-Mart spokesman John Simley said.

Young did not immediately return a telephone call to his spokesman's office Wednesday.

I think anyone who would try to defend Wal-Mart's labor practices is probably a bit imbalanced anyway, so it's not all that surprising that he's also a racist.

That libel suit above, however, is stupid. You can't commit libel against an entire race of people (and even then, he cannot commit libel by talking; he can commit slander, though). That lawsuit should fail on the first court date, if you ask my opinion. Racism, no matter how offensive, is still protected free speech.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom