Andrea Yates verdict is in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so pissed off I can hardly speak. Ignoring her medical condition was the same as premeditation and motive as far as I'm concerned. They knew she was a threat and they did NOTHING. She and her husband should be punished.

Originally posted by Peaseblossom:
I'm so pissed off I can hardly speak. Ignoring her medical condition was the same as premeditation and motive as far as I'm concerned. They knew she was a threat and they did NOTHING. She and her husband should be punished.

Her husband should definitely have to answer for some of this. He's guilty of neglect if nothing else. As for her, do you not think that forty years to think about what she did to her children won't be hell on earth?

Only one person that I saw mentioned the words "post-partum depression" in their post.

Thousands of children are killed every year by their own mothers who are suffering from post-partum depression. (Although this is not to say that every mother who kills or abuses a child has PPD.) PPD is a much misunderstood illness, and it can make people behave in ways that seem cold, calculating, lucid, and aware of their actions, whereas in reality they are not in control of their behavior. And it is attitudes like those expressed in this thread that keep mothers, husbands, and family members from understanding this illness and seeking help for those who need it.

Imagine you've just had a baby and it is supposed to be the happiest time of your life. Our society has really glorified the process of childbirth and new parenthood. Meanwhile, you're feeling very unlike yourself, having uncontrollable thoughts of hurting your new baby, having thoughts of killing yourself, not knowing what to do. How do you go about asking for help? People will judge you for your uncontrollable thoughts, calling you crazy. No wonder so many cases go untreated and end up in tragedy, as did the Andrea Yates case. People knew she needed help. She had even been diagnosed with PPD after the delivery of her fourth child.

But as I said, it is attitudes like those expressed by people in this thread, or indirectly expressed, such as people telling Sula's mom to just believe in God rather than seek help, that contribute to the lack of treatment and prevention. Depression is a serious illness with a plethora of causes, many of which are physiological. As someone who has battled depression for years, I find the opinions about "insanity" in this thread extremely ignorant and ill-informed. It is this kind of stigma that discourages people with any kind of depression from seeking help.

Perhaps if Andrea Yates had received treatment, she would not be in this situation. What she did is certainly deplorable, but if she was indeed suffering from PPD, then the tragedy is even worse in that it may have been prevented. I guess my reason for writing this is the hope that people will learn more about PPD and realize that cases like Andrea Yates' happen all the time. Only education and active treatment and prevention can stop it from happening again and again.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

For those still interested in this story, Oprah Winfrey will be interviewing the husband tomorrow (I apologize, I think his name is Russell? Yates, but I'm not sure.)

Oprah comes on at 4 pm Central where I live, but I would check your local listings if you want to watch it. It should be interesting to hear the husband's point of view.

For those still interested in this story, Oprah Winfrey will be interviewing the husband tomorrow (I apologize, I think his name is Russell? Yates, but I'm not sure.)

Oprah comes on at 4 pm Central where I live, but I would check your local listings if you want to watch it. It should be interesting to hear the husband's point of view.

What Andrea Yates did was clearly wrong but society would be much better served by her being confined to a mental institution for the rest of her life. Prison is not the answer for someone who is clearly that dillusional.

I have a mentally ill stepdaughter so I know what its like to try and deal with someone who is not in the same reality as the rest of us. When my daughter hears the voices in her head, those voices are real to her and nothing anyone says or does will convince her otherwise. When she sees people outside in the bushes waiting to kill her, nothing we say will convince her that no one is there. And, just like Andrea Yates, she lives with a man who thinks he can bring her back to reality his own way, without the help of trained professionals. When she has an episode and lashes out at him, she ends up in jail instead of a treatment facility where she needs to be. And I can honestly say that each time she has landed in jail, she has slipped just a little further out of reality. We as her family have tried and tried to get her the help she clearly needs but her "boyfriend" always steps in and convinces her that we want to "lock her way forever" and has even threatened us with legal action if we try to force her.

As the sane, lucid one, Rusty Yates should have done everything in his power to prevent any further pregnancys. And as her husband, it was his responsibility to make sure she took her medication and continued to receive treatment or he should have made sure she was never alone with the children.

I understand that their religious beliefs had a part in this tragedy but that is no excuse for letting a mentally ill woman continue to give birth again and again.

She needs help. God will decide the rest.

Back
Top Bottom