Anderson Cooper - Dispatches From The Edge - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Didn't know he had a book coming out, that will be a great read.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
most TV journalists make me ill to my stomach to see the screed they try to pass off as news
You've said a mouthful, and I work in it...heh.

Melon

Old 05-23-2006, 04:54 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:39 AM
I had no idea Gloria Vanderbilt was his mother until yesterday

I like him
Old 05-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Interesting life for Anderson Cooper. He suffered great pain and heartache at young ages during his life at the same time as being born into a life of privilege. Then to enter the world journalism.

I first came across Anderson Cooper when he hosted the first two seasons of the reality show, The Mole. It was a cerebral reality show, and his demeanor suited it perfectly. I had no idea he was a journalist while watching the show. My favourite memory of the series was when a couple of contestants had to squash grapes with their bare feet. They had to pour the wine afterwards without spilling it. During this challenge, Anderson was drinking wine while watching. The contestants had a hard time pouring the wine without spilling it so Anderson being a bit tipsy claimed he could do it, nope, he was horrible. The funny thing was throughout the whole season, Anderson's demeanor was so quiet yet after some glasses of wine he was all giddy and giggly.

I remember when he first popped up on CNN a few years ago reporting and man, was he nervous. Eventually, he started sitting at a desk and then got his show, and he was still nervous, I didn't think he would last but after a while he relaxed in his environment and came into his own. Of course, his reports from Katrina and refusal to accept soft political answers made him a household name.

I think I will get this book, his interview with Oprah was enlightening.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:04 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

I would've liked to have caught him on Oprah, even though I can't stand the woman.

Anderson
Old 05-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 AM
I went into Borders today and the very fist display of books you see when you walk in was full of Anderson's book.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:54 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

This may be exactly what I've been waiting to use my Barnes & Noble girftcards from my birthday for.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

lol, I remember The Mole

I got the book yesterday, hopefully I can read most of it over the weekend

from the 360 blog

"After many long months and many long hours of writing, my book "Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival" is in stores today. It's a very strange feeling.

In many ways, I've been writing this book in my head for the past 15 years, ever since I became a reporter. But it wasn't until Hurricane Katrina that I actually started putting it together on paper.

In those dark, difficult days in New Orleans, I started to worry that when the floodwaters receded, and the convention center was cleaned up, people would move on and forget what had happened.

I know we all like to say, "Oh, we could never forget such a tragedy." But the truth is tragedies are forgotten all the time. The media moves on, and so do people's lives.

I suppose that's just the way it is, but I didn't want the heroism, the heartbreak, the compassion, the negligence to just be forgotten, so I started writing about what I was seeing behind the scenes, the kinds of moments and conversations that never make it on television.

I first started working as a reporter soon after graduating from college. I couldn't get an entry level job at ABC News, so I came up with my own plan. I figured if no one would give me a chance, I'd have to take a chance.

With a fake press pass made by a friend and a borrowed video camera, I left the United States to report on wars around the world. In retrospect, it was a foolhardy thing to do, but I was young and didn't feel like I had any other options.

Since those early years, I've visited a lot of countries in conflict, and have seen people lose their lives because of the color of their skin, the ideas in their heads, or simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've worked in Somalia, South Africa, Haiti and Rwanda, and in all these countries, in all these conflicts, I've been awed by what humans are capable of doing to one another -- acts of terrible barbarism and brutality, yes, but also acts of kindness and courage.

In the far reaches of the world, you see what truly lurks in the inner reaches of the human heart, and those lessons were something I wanted to write about.

When I was a child, my father wrote a book about growing up in Mississippi. I remember when I was about eight years old and couldn't sleep, I'd go into his study late at night as he was typing his book and curl up in his lap. Laying my head against his chest, I could always fall asleep listening to the sound of the typewriter and the steady beat of his heart.

Writing my own book has been a very difficult process for me. As I said earlier, it feels strange to suddenly have it enter the marketplace, because it is in many ways a very personal book. It's not only about the tragedies I've covered as a journalist; it's also about the losses in my own life that propelled me to go overseas in the first place.

I will be on the Oprah show today. This will be the first time I will talk about the book in any detail in a large public forum. I don't really know what people will make of it. I do think that loss is a bond all of us share and one many people can relate to. If you choose to read the book, I'd love to hear from you. "

excerpts here

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/22/coo...rpt/index.html
Old 05-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 08:39 AM
I caught Anderson Cooper on Oprah yesterday. I totally respect him as a journalist, especially in a time of giggly twits who try to put themselves in the story. But I really became a fan because he was so down-to-earth and self-effacing. There is not one pretentious bone in this man's body. He takes his work seriously, but not himself. And the clips of him at around 25/26 years old on Channel One were adorable.

I'm definitely going to buy his book.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
But I really became a fan because he was so down-to-earth and self-effacing. There is not one pretentious bone in this man's body. He takes his work seriously, but not himself
That's exactly it, that is so extremely attractive and appealing in a person.

When he did those reports from Niger I couldn't even watch-what they showed and the way he talked about it broke my heart. I believe he writes about that in the book.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
This may be exactly what I've been waiting to use my Barnes & Noble girftcards from my birthday for.
I pre ordered the book from Barnes & Noble and got a
Quote:
We regret to inform you that our supplier has changed the release date on the pre-ordered merchandise listed below. We expect to ship the item(s) soon and will send you an email when it is ready to leave our warehouse.
message.........

I don't know what that is all about

MrsSpringsteen got it, so it is released..........I want to read the book........
Old 05-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't looked at B&N, I got it at Costco on Tuesday for 13 and change
Old 05-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

for those of you who have it ... tell me, does Anderson talk about any significant others in his life?

he talks about his father's death and brother's suicide, i'm sure, but there must be at least a passing mention of some kind of relationship.

or is that too personal?

we all know what i'm getting at.

i think Anderson is a fine reporter and the best thing on CNN. but how would you feel if your husband/wife/partner/significan other wrote a biography (at the age of 38, no less) and DIDN'T mention you?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:39 AM
first jared leto and now this. dammit, Irvine.

MrsS and i will fight you for him.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

he's a cutie, but he's not my type -- too skinny. love the eyes and hair.

still, i wish he'd show more spine and just confirm what everyone already knows. i'm just irritated by the de-gaying of public figures, like what happened when Susan Sontag died.