Anderson Cooper - Dispatches From The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think he ever discusses his orientation or his love interests, whatever. So I don't think it's in the book at all. I'm sure some gay people might feel differently but I respect whatever someone's choice is in that area-to come out or not to come out, to keep their love lives private, etc.

I don't want to turn this into a debate/discussion about that, but that's just my take on it.

Gay, straight, whatever he's an impressive man. I loved him on Oprah, he was just so charming-he talked about not being able to sleep when Oprah sent him an e-mail about the book because he worried all night what she would think about it. And he made it clear that he doesn't think he's anything special because he grew up in an extremely wealthy family.

Irvine511 said:
for those of you who have it ... tell me, does Anderson talk about any significant others in his life?

he talks about his father's death and brother's suicide, i'm sure, but there must be at least a passing mention of some kind of relationship.

or is that too personal?

we all know what i'm getting at.

i think Anderson is a fine reporter and the best thing on CNN. but how would you feel if your husband/wife/partner/significan other wrote a biography (at the age of 38, no less) and DIDN'T mention you?

is there any dedication in the book? Perhaps a clue? Not that it matters... He's still one of the few respected journalists out there today!

Actually this is on gawker.com today, it just goes along with their long running schtick about Anderson. I have no idea who Julio is and it's not my business. All I know is I just want one chance to gaze into those incredibly dreamy blue eyes in person, damn it.

"The new memoir from our favorite CNN anchor was finally published this week — oh, you thought it was just a coincidence he was interviewed everywhere from Oprah to EW? — and we’d like to direct your attention to the book’s acknowledgements. Most are professional in nature — editors, agents, the like — but one doesn’t quite fit that mold. On page 212:

I’d like to thank Julio for his support and calm counsel without which this book would not have been possible."

I just bought "Dispatches from the Edge" and it's both sensitively and beautifully written. I'll probaby finish it this week-end and I highly recommend it.

Yes, I know Anderson is gay, but I still have a crush on him. My type of guy=A Straight Anderson Cooper.

It's good, I truly enjoyed it. It's not a detailed dissertation of all the places he has been and of what he has seen, it's distilled into simple accounts and honest descriptions of what he did and how he reacted. And of what the experiences meant to him personally. But the situations are definitely horrific and gut wrenching. I'm sure he could have written a book just about New Orleans, but it wouldn't have been the same book.

I really admire how honest he is about himself and how he behaved in these situations, he certainly doesn't try to portray himself as any sort of saint. And how honest he is about his brother's suicide.

I hope he never loses the part of him that makes him a special journalist.

the only point i'm trying to make is that it is inconceivable for a straight person to have published a memoir and not mention some kind of romantic interest, relationship, etc.

i understand why Anderson keeps silent about this, but i also know that The Closet is a terrible thing, and what we need are more examples of happy, successful, "normal" gay people. i'm not suggesting he pull a Rosie O'Donnell and make his life about an issue (and i do respect what Rosie has done -- she basically retired and now crusades for one of the most honorable causes i can think of, gay adoption), but i think he is in a position to do immeasurable good if he were able to be out.

i promise i won't say anything else about this particular subject. i agree that this isn't a thread about Anderson's sexuality, but i do think it is pertinent when discussing a memoir.

I don't think it's all that inconceivable, even some straight people don't like to talk about that subject all that much and/or prefer to keep that private. I understand what you're saying but it's not really a memoir, more like one thread from his life (his father's death/brother's suicide) interwoven with his experiences as a reporter. It sticks to that through the entire book.

Anderson guest hosted for Regis this morning and I got all excited, until Kelly opened her mouth. Talk about the female equivalent of a c**k blocker.

this is on Drudge but honestly I just wanted an excuse to post the picture that accompanies it

PHOTO-FINISH: CNN'S ANDERSON COOPER LANDS #1 BOOK, SCANS 37,639 COPIES IN FIRST WEEK, SOURCES TELL DRUDGE, BEATS NBC TIM RUSSERT BY 94 COPIES [37,545]... DEVELOPING..

2006_05_09t025615_297x450_us_cooper.jpg

Originally posted by Irvine511
i promise i won't say anything else about this particular subject. i agree that this isn't a thread about Anderson's sexuality, but i do think it is pertinent when discussing a memoir.

You bit your tongue on this one for awhile, didn't you? I'm impressed! :wink:

Larry is notorious for never preparing for his interviews. The night before he couldn't distinguish between the three Dixie Chicks so he kept calling them the wrong name. He's 100% useless.

Anderson was great, though. I also can't believe Larry asked him if his brother's body hit the pavement (WTF?) but I do admit I did wonder what his mother did in that situation. As he said - what do you do, go downstairs and check? I mean that's the obvious thing but in that moment I don't think I'd be able to think straight at all.

He's definitely got better looking with age. The shots of him in Sarajevo - wow, he looked like a little boy! So skinny too.

anitram said:

He's definitely got better looking with age

Unbelievably so. His 39th birthday is tomorrow. Maybe I should change my name to Mrs. Cooper.

Larry King is 100 percent useless, I was afraid he would ask him how his brother's body looked :| He can be very insensitive and tasteless, and I hate when he yells "what's your question" at callers. He talks over guests all the time too, Anderson didn't let him do that.

trevster2k said:
Interesting life for Anderson Cooper. He suffered great pain and heartache at young ages during his life at the same time as being born into a life of privilege. Then to enter the world journalism.

I first came across Anderson Cooper when he hosted the first two seasons of the reality show, The Mole. It was a cerebral reality show, and his demeanor suited it perfectly. I had no idea he was a journalist while watching the show. My favourite memory of the series was when a couple of contestants had to squash grapes with their bare feet. They had to pour the wine afterwards without spilling it. During this challenge, Anderson was drinking wine while watching. The contestants had a hard time pouring the wine without spilling it so Anderson being a bit tipsy claimed he could do it, nope, he was horrible. The funny thing was throughout the whole season, Anderson's demeanor was so quiet yet after some glasses of wine he was all giddy and giggly.

I remember when he first popped up on CNN a few years ago reporting and man, was he nervous. Eventually, he started sitting at a desk and then got his show, and he was still nervous, I didn't think he would last but after a while he relaxed in his environment and came into his own. Of course, his reports from Katrina and refusal to accept soft political answers made him a household name.

I think I will get this book, his interview with Oprah was enlightening.

:up: The Mole was where I first fell in love with him. I remember the episode you're referring to. He said he had worked as a waiter, and went on to demonstrate his wine-pouring skills. :lol: I had no idea he was a journalist at the time, either, but apparently he worked for ABC (the network that carried The Mole) news. I found his unassuming, self-deprecating, slightly sarcastic manner very appealing.

I was SO happy to later find him on CNN. He was a great find for the network, and now, several years later, arguably their most popular anchor. It's been great watching him come into his own.

Most of what was in the Vanity Fair article I was already aware of. Still, very wrenching. I'll definitely be picking up the book.

On a more superficial note, I was stunned to read that his mom is 82! Not just in the VF picture, but I've seen her live on CNN with him (they did/do this annual thing where she comes to the set for a segment or two on a special occasion - Mothers day? His/her birthday? I just remember that cake was involved). Wow, she looks amazing.

Exactly. I'm aware that the woman has probably had plastic surgery, but still, to look *that* good at that age, and not look fake or overdone? Genetics have to enter into it. Good lord, she looks at least 25 - 30 years younger than she is!

He kicked ass on Celebrity Jeopardy a few years ago. Intellectual men. :love:

I don't want to jinx it but I might be able to go to his signing/discussion Thursday :faint:

I don't think my heart can take it :wink: but I'll have to push all those Anderson groupies out of the way. I wonder if 6 hours prior is too early to get there..

Might? What on earth would stop you if there is the slightest possibility?? :wink:

Good luck...and please post pics!

Maybe it's just me, but on Oprah I thought Gloria Vanderbilt looked like the unnatural outcome of a series of plastic surgery accidents - despite being 82.

On the other hand, Anderson's premature grey suits him very well.

I'm just jumping in to agree that Larry King's comments the other night were completely tasteless. He seriously needs to retire or they need to cancel his show. There are so many who can do a better job.

I'm 1/4 way into Anderson's book and it's a great read. I wish he were doing a book signing on the west coast.

Back
Top Bottom