And you thought Obama's Pastor was weird - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

Exactly. This type of condescension is only going to turn people away, even those who may agree with you.
If you're not sharp enough to know that when I refer to "you people" I'm not referring to every living soul in America but to the ones I think need a good scolding (mainly those stubborn enough to still be a Clinton supporter) then what can I do. I'd rather be having this conversation with Bono over a pint of guinness and possibly get my ass kicked...we'd have a good one though.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:13 AM
It's not about being sharp. I know you don't mean everyone. It's the way you come across. Take that as a possible explanation why you didn't get the response you had hoped in this thread.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest

Oh excuse me, I must have been mistaken. How many HUNDREDS of posts have there been on "Mercy"???
Maybe it's because Mercy:
a) exists for sure and is very relevant,
b) is something that people find interesting and,
most importantly,
c) isn't propagated by people who just insult others for not replying to their threads, and then insult those who do reply.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #19
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:13 AM
The irony is, Harry, that almost all the American posters you're freaking out over are Obama supporters anyway.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
The irony is, Harry, that almost all the American posters you're freaking out over are Obama supporters anyway.
Right on. That's good news. The only ones that respond. Negative or positive...at least they respond. Thanks. Now go vote for Obama. I'm goin for a pint with Bono.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Some of us have lives you know. And some of us are actually out hitting the pavement working hard for certain candidates rather than worrying about some posts on an internet forum
Yeah.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Yes, we are.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:

Right on. That's good news. The only ones that respond. Negative or positive...at least they respond. Thanks. Now go vote for Obama. I'm goin for a pint with Bono.
Next year we have an elelction here in Germany. May you be so kind to tell me who I have to vote for?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

Next year we have an elelction here in Germany. May you be so kind to tell me who I have to vote for?
No, but I'll gladly tell you who you shouldn't vote for.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:13 AM

This lady survived an assassination attempt.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:13 AM
Quote:

If you're not sharp enough to know that when I refer to "you people" I'm not referring to every living soul in America but to the ones I think need a good scolding (mainly those stubborn enough to still be a Clinton supporter) then what can I do. I'd rather be having this conversation with Bono over a pint of guinness and possibly get my ass kicked...we'd have a good one though.

you're welcome to move here, become a citizen, pay taxes, buy some property, become invested (financially, intellectually, personally) in the country and culture, and maybe then your "scoldings" might have some sort of weight to them. but until then, if you're just going to rely on shame and frustrating and emotionalism from across the border, you'd might as well go scolding the Japanese or the Venezuelans or some other nation of millions for how they vote. i'm sure they'd be glad to have your input.

i know many people seem to think they know what's best, but they don't fucking live here. i'd never be so presumptuous as to scold the entire nation of Canada for anything in a political sense. see, i don't live there. i don't understand the nuances of it's politics. i could learn and try to understand, but i'd know that the worst way to go about that would be to get all emotional and use phrases like "you people" and talk about people who think differently (perhaps because they're from a different country?) as being "mentally incompetent."

i mean, i could say, i think the entire nation of Canada should shut up and stop whining and complaining and calling people who, you know, live here and have different opinions because without us you'd be left to defend your coasts with little more than a musket and a canoe and the view is awfully nice when you don't have any real stake in global security. you're just a measly 30m people living in a vast, cold country that might as well be Siberia and no one actually cares who's your PM because it really doesn't matter what goes on inside your borders to begin with. you've got it made living next door to the US, an economic juggernaut who buys 80% of your exports, and who defends you. so stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and fall in line.

but that would be silly and annoying and insulting, wouldn't it?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

you're welcome to move here, become a citizen, pay taxes, buy some property, become invested (financially, intellectually, personally) in the country and culture, and maybe then your "scoldings" might have some sort of weight to them. but until then, if you're just going to rely on shame and frustrating and emotionalism from across the border, you'd might as well go scolding the Japanese or the Venezuelans or some other nation of millions for how they vote. i'm sure they'd be glad to have your input.

i know many people seem to think they know what's best, but they don't fucking live here. i'd never be so presumptuous as to scold the entire nation of Canada for anything in a political sense. see, i don't live there. i don't understand the nuances of it's politics. i could learn and try to understand, but i'd know that the worst way to go about that would be to get all emotional and use phrases like "you people" and talk about people who think differently (perhaps because they're from a different country?) as being "mentally incompetent."

i mean, i could say, i think the entire nation of Canada should shut up and stop whining and complaining and calling people who, you know, live here and have different opinions because without us you'd be left to defend your coasts with little more than a musket and a canoe and the view is awfully nice when you don't have any real stake in global security. you're just a measly 30m people living in a vast, cold country that might as well be Siberia and no one actually cares who's your PM because it really doesn't matter what goes on inside your borders to begin with. you've got it made living next door to the US, an economic juggernaut who buys 80% of your exports, and who defends you. so stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and fall in line.

Thanks Hillary.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Have you never seen any of irvine's posts? He's one of the most ardent Obama supporters on here
Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Absolutely.

I'm thinking Harry's ventured south of the border at least once...and stayed long enough for HRC to piss in his cornflakes. Having an opinion is one thing, calling anyone who disagrees an idiot is quite another.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Thanks Hillary.
See, this is what I'm talking about...