And thhheeeeeeeey'rrrreeee Offfffffffff - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Someone told me that he has national healthcare on his platform?! I don't remember him saying anything about that last time. I thought Kucinich and Sharpton were the only ones who pushed for that. That's friggin awesome though, if it is true.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:23 AM
Im sure that the Republicans would agree.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Old 12-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

What I don't understand is that although America lacks a universal healthcare system it still spends more tax money per capita on health.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Old 12-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

i'll certainly give john edwards the benefit of the doubt to run his own campaign... i had a strong dislike for joe liberman when he was gore's running mate but now love the guy... but there is nothing about edwards that excites me in any way, except for his cute ass, of course
Old 12-28-2006, 10:36 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
What I don't understand is that although America lacks a universal healthcare system it still spends more tax money per capita on health.
I couldn't even begin to explain that one to you. I'm frustrated with the system as it is. I hate that I need to buy into some corporation just to go see a doctor for the flu. And if I don't have a provider, I'm screwed. I feel like everything here is corporate owned.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Verte, thanks. Of course, the electoral college ( I know it exists, even if my grasp of it is shaky). Well, I wonder just how conservative the south is, or whether that is an unchanging and unchangeable thing, culturally.

Given as how, I'd accept that things like creaky old political institutions rarely change.

After all, the old 'southern strategy' of Nixon's era seemed to be based on a nudge-wink notion that civil rights had basically killed the Democrats in the south... and yet, forty years later, nobody is going to undo the civil rights laws, are they?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 01:23 AM
Tomorrow is today...I like that!

Now....when exactly is this "election day" so I can put it on my calendar.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:28 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

I couldn't even begin to explain that one to you. I'm frustrated with the system as it is. I hate that I need to buy into some corporation just to go see a doctor for the flu. And if I don't have a provider, I'm screwed. I feel like everything here is corporate owned.
As a 22 year old who just got married and is entering the age of having to worry more about breast cancer screening, annual paps, possibly having babies, etc, health care is now the #1 domestic issue on my list of political priorities.

Will someone on the Hill please explain to me why I have to spend 2 hours on the Internet reading through pages of fine print BEFORE I can even think about calling a doctor for an urgent issue? Why is it that the first thing they as is what insurance plan I have, before they even ask what is wrong with me? And then they'll ask again before writing the prescription, like I might get a better prescription if I'm lucky enough to have a certain insurance plan. And I'm told that my employer was voted on of the BEST in the nation as far as benefits (including health insurance) are concerned. Why is it that families have to hold bake sales before their baby with a fatal heart defect will be considered for surgery? Why is it my mom had to spend her ENTIRE life savings AND cash in the family's life insurance policy just to pay for a simple break in my brother's wrist?

If someone really can guarantee health care for every single American, then I don't care what party, race, religion, or schools of thought this person belongs to, s/he already has my vote.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:11 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
It could be because of all the uninsured (whom as far as I know, are hardly ever refused care, if at all). The insured foot their bill and then understandably complain about skyrocketing costs. Seems like a double edged sword, go universal and cover all and probably forego the chance to pay for top quality, meanwhile paying taxes out of your ass or keep the same, foot the bill for the uninsured, be able to pay for top notch quality and pay out the ass in taxes much the same.

In the end, it seems like in a free market you'd be able to have or pay for a health care that would be top notch, while (at the same time) there is a basic service provided to all. In either case, the taxes don't seem to be shrinking. I don't have any great answers but I believe with every fiber of my being an 8 year old kid should get free health care regardless of the economic status of their parent.

Just a drunk layman opinion at this hour.

P.S. John Edwards has no chance to win the big one.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:30 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:23 AM
What's the deal with southern candidates? I don't get it.