.....And now we have this-------------------------------------------

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Bias

The Fly
Controversial Sept. 11 movie opens to applause at Venice festival

VENICE, Italy (AP) - A controversial film on the Sept. 11 attacks was received enthusiastically at the Venice Film Festival on Thursday, with media and film-industry viewers giving the longest applause to a segment considered among the most hostile to the United States, a report said.

The French-backed film ''11'09''01'' consists of short films by 11 international directors. The movie - which includes segments directed by Sean Penn, Ken Loach and Mira Nair - has been accused of being anti-American, although the producers say it is only an exploration of a tragedy.

At Thursday's screening, audience members applauded after each segment and at the end of the 135-minute film, the ANSA news agency reported.

ANSA said the longest applause was for British filmmaker Loach's segment, which features an exiled Chilean living in Britain who writes a letter to the families of the Sept. 11 victims, drawing their attention to the fact that in Chile on Sept. 11, 1973, a U.S.-supported coup d'etat ushered in an era of torture and death.

Another controversial segment is by Egyptian director Youssef Chahine, who attacks U.S. foreign policy and features the ghost of a handsome U.S. Marine killed in a terrorist attack in Lebanon in 1983. Chahine lectures the dead Marine on the destruction that U.S. meddling in the world has wrought - from Hiroshima and Nagasaki to the current Middle East conflict. The ghost is grateful for being enlightened.

The film will also be shown at the Toronto Film Festival on Sept. 11. It opens in France and a dozen other countries on that date. Discussions have been under way with potential U.S. distributors.

Last edited:
hmmm

that sounds very interesting. i think it is very very interesting to take how violated we felt on 9/11 and apply it to hiroshima, chile, etc.

i hope it is shown here, it would give good perspective to people who aren't aware of what the u.s does without advertising it.

Yep, we are evil.

Thank GOD we have Bush for President and a not some idiot who would agree with this crap and let even more terrorists in the country while selling off our rights to the greedy pretenders who really want to control us anyway.
mdf96051.jpg

Last edited:
Re: hmmm

Lilly said:
that sounds very interesting. i think it is very very interesting to take how violated we felt on 9/11 and apply it to hiroshima, chile, etc.

i hope it is shown here, it would give good perspective to people who aren't aware of what the u.s does without advertising it.

Telling people that they deserve what they got is good for them? Wow, you're really messed up. Why don't you try arguing hiroshima with me? Make your arguement against the dropping of the bomb, please, instead of just making ridiculous comments.

Just out of curiousity, what country\state do you live in?

Re: Re: hmmm

garibaldo said:

Telling people that they deserve what they got is good for them? Wow, you're really messed up. Why don't you try arguing hiroshima with me? Make your arguement against the dropping of the bomb, please, instead of just making ridiculous comments.

Was the second bomb necessary ? Ore was it a test ?

Re: Re: hmmm

garibaldo said:

What is it that makes you so curious?

Sometimes I have fear that the U.S. society is going to fall apart. That there will be chasing around the block. Maybe the White House Administration should talk the agencies into a little Spanish Inquisition?

Enough of the shame and blame mentality toward America guys.
Lilly was simply trying to take an open minded approach to this movie, no need to tell her she is messed up for acknowledging there are other points of view. Whether they are wrong or not is not the point.

And really, where someone lives, makes their opinion no more or less valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom