Anarchist protests erupt across Edinburgh for G8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Anarchist protests erupt across Edinburgh for G8

I appreciate the frustration of protesters, but I had hoped that things would not have become violent. To be honest, i'm actually very surprised given how peaceful things have generally been up until now. It's a real shame that this small group have taken it upon themselves to cause havoc.
Watching the news now, the police who are dealing with the riots look like the kind they get in to deal with football hooligans. The crowds look considerably bigger than this article reports, too.

from yahoo.co.uk:

Anarchist protests erupt across Edinburgh for G8

EDINBURGH (Reuters) - Anarchist protests erupted on Monday in Scotland's capital, sparking scuffles between riot police and demonstrators two days before leaders of the world's richest nations hold a summit nearby.

Several people were detained, at least two police were injured in clashes and several people fainted in the crush.

The demonstrations began peacefully as protesters, banging drums and shaking bells, marched and danced into waiting police containment cordons in Edinburgh's financial centre.

The demonstrations were part of an array of protests that began on Saturday with a 200,000-strong march through the city calling for an end to poverty in the developing world, especially Africa.

Leaders of the Group of Eight industrialised nations meet amid tight security from Wednesday to Friday at the nearby Gleneagles Hotel, tasked with tackling African poverty and devising a strategy against global warming.

On Monday, black-clad and masked members of the Black Bloc, an anarchist group based in Germany and Scandinavia that has been prominent in protests at past G8 summits, mingled with other demonstrators dressed as fairies and clowns.

Trouble began when about 30 anarchists, among about 200 protesters trapped between lines of police, pushed and scuffled with police officers.

Mindful of the violence that erupted at previous G8 summits in Genoa, Italy, in 2001 and Evian, France, in 2003, Scottish police have been taking no chances.

Around the city, mounted riot police and convoys of police vans with sirens wailing and lights flashing sought to damp down anarchist street carnival demonstrations.

In one incident, 14 mounted riot police and 15 vanloads of others arrived to protect the Standard Life insurance company building to find just three demonstrators there.

Tourists appeared to be enjoying the spectacle. "This is entertaining and at least it is cheaper than paying to go and visit the castle," said Ricky from Hong Kong, referring to Edinburgh's most famous monument.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Re: Anarchist protests erupt across Edinburgh for G8

Quote:
Originally posted by beau2ifulday
Tourists appeared to be enjoying the spectacle. "This is entertaining and at least it is cheaper than paying to go and visit the castle," said Ricky from Hong Kong, referring to Edinburgh's most famous monument.

people can be such idiots.

this isn't going to advance the cause one bit. all it takes is a small group of hoodlems to ruin everything.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Idiots. This is making all of the marchers look bad. I wish the anarchists would just stay home. I believe in freedom of speech but certainly not any kind of freedom to riot.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Way to tarnish the otherwise peaceful and civilized protests.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:03 AM
Yeah. So not cool . Come on, people, we've got a potentially good situation going here, don't freakin' ruin it!

Angela
Old 07-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Praying for peace in Edinburgh this week.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:30 PM   #7
The Fly

Hmmmm I think people are sick of slow and quiet marches and protests. Bush and all are most likely having a giggle if seeing any of the images, so I think people are wanting to take it a step up. I don't support violent marches, but I can see whu SOME people would want to go hard in protesting.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Ah the blackshirted anti-capitalist anarchists - what a paradox they are. They oppose capitalism and globalisation to such a degree that they stand alongside staunch statists to curb corporate power. They are the best representation of the desperate and incoherent leftists of this day and age.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If anarchists hate the governmant so much why don't they go live in the wilderness where we won't bother them and they won't bother us (moreso the latter).
Old 07-05-2005, 08:26 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Anarchy has eliminated poverty how many times???
Old 07-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #11
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Seems to me it does the direct opposite.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-05-2005, 07:33 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
are u saying somalians r poor??!!!!!1
Old 07-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:03 PM
I actually think that a state of true anarchy, without government, did a lot better at keeping the peace and feeding Africa in the context of agrarian and tribal societies. The state of governance on the continent is a shackle to economic growth and prosperity. Add to this crippling debt servicing, trade barriers, lack of infrastructure, corruption, nepotism and civil strife it's no wonder the place is in such a mess.

The problem is that these people are not philosophical anarchists; they do not really extoll the virtues of individuality unshackled by government, they are certainly not anarcho-capitalists. They are anti-capitalist or usually more anti-corporate and anti-globalist. They almost seem like nihilists but violent ones at that.

Either way I do not think that the anarchists, anti-globalisation groups or communists were giving the same message as the Live8 set. Elimination of trade barriers and encouragement of good democratic governance are classical liberal principles, would lead to more globalisation as well.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:08 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Bob Geldof called them losers and they are
Old 07-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Some of you people have short memories, or are ignorant of history.

Dissent, including violent dissent (although describing these protests as 'violent' is over the top), has been a powerful force for change in history.

So a few coppers got eggs thrown at them, big fucking deal.

I am aware that standards have slipped a little in Washington in recent years following the Bushco takeover of the American government but in parts of Europe we still have this old-fashioned idea that dissent is tolerated.