Analysis: Atheism worldwide in decline - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
The article basically seemed to suggest that 'godlessness' worldwide is on the decline, because, well, just because professor X said it is. It just is, don't ask questions!

Goddamnit!!

Incidentally the 'Moonie Times' are a very sinister outfit from what I can tell, definitely not to be taken at face value.
Are Moonies even Christians?

Old 03-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Incidentally the 'Moonie Times' are a very sinister outfit from what I can tell, definitely not to be taken at face value.
Suddenly I don't feel so extreme in my opinion that the New York Times and L.A. Times are liberally biased

Old 03-03-2005, 05:02 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Well NBcrusader, it's unclear to me. No, they probably aren't Christians (I believe the Reverend Moon declares himself to be a human God on earth), but their mouthpieces like the WATimes keep that under wraps fairly well, and would I suggest, convey the impression of being Christian.

Exhibit A: the article that started this thread.

As for why they would do that, I think it has something to do with their historical position against Communism etc: ie. a cultural strategy.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:45 AM
I'm pretty sure the Moonies are not considered Christians.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:45 PM
Nope — we're talking whacky cult here. Like many cults though, they may try to appear Christian though.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:45 AM
dhark, I don't know if you were being sarcastic or something, but the Moonies do actually own the Washington Times. It was founded by them. I didn't just throw it out there as a random insult.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:49 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:45 AM
What's your point, that McConville is himself a cult leader?

McConville is in fact a God like genius and we should all worship him.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 03-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

We're not worthy......we suck...
Old 03-04-2005, 05:50 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
And yes, science and faith can co-exist. Why did it take people so long to figure that out? I see science as the study of God's handiwork and as evidence of God.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:50 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by drhark

Suddenly I don't feel so extreme in my opinion that the New York Times and L.A. Times are liberally biased

there is no liberal bias.

none.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:13 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
there is no liberal bias.

none.
None, that's easy for me to say.

In their 1986 book, The Media Elite, political scientists S. Robert Lichter, Stanley Rothman and Linda S. Lichter reported the results of their survey of 240 journalists at the nation’s top media outlets: ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Time, Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report. When asked about their voting patterns, journalists admitted their preference for Democrats:

Of those who say they voted for major party candidates, the proportion of leading journalists who supported the Democratic candidate never drops below 80 percent. In 1972, when more than 60 percent of all voters chose Nixon, over 80 percent among the media elite voted for McGovern. This does not appear to reflect any unique aversion to Nixon. Despite the well-publicized tensions between the press and his administration, leading journalists in 1976 preferred Carter over Ford by the same margin. In fact, in the Democratic landslide of 1964, journalists picked Johnson over Goldwater by a sixteen-to-one margin, or 94 to 6 percent.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:18 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

you conveniently forget that the people who are LEAST powerful in the newsroom are reporters. reporters have editors, and producers, and you're totally leaving out the owning of the media by -- 4, is it? -- major corporations.

it's so simplistic to say the media is liberal.

and you're also assuming that simply because one voted for a Democrat, that, 1) they are automatically "liberal" in the terms that you find most convenient in order to justify this claim, and 2) they are incapable of doing their job, 3) they are using their job as a journalist to further their own propaganda.

i know journalists. i know reporters. and i know just how hard they try to reflecte reality as they see it; and i also know the toll that this grossly specious charge is having on them, where they 2nd guess everything.

and even Bill Kristol, editor of the conservative Weekly Standard, said a few years ago that the whole "liberal bias" charge was bogus, and that it was the Republicans literally "working the refs."

but, hey, they neutered the press! great job. doesn't it seem right that the press and an administration -- republican or democrat -- should have an adversarial relationship? that the press holds those in power accountable to explain their actions? that isn't being liberal, that's being a journalist, and democracy cannot function without the scrutiny of the powerful.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:39 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

If there was no media bias:
- The peace process would be reported in Iraq much more often
- CBS would not have used fake Bush memos in attempt to sway an election
- CBS would not have considered airing a Reagan film with a false statement - NEVER QUOTED - comment about people living with AIDS
- NPR would not have a liberal bias - WHICH THEY ADMIT TO
(http://www.townhall.com/columnists/b...20031022.shtml)
- The New York Times would not clamp on one-sided facts to support liberal causes
- This following research would be unfounded:

Quote:
http://atmizzou.missouri.edu/feb05/liberalmedia.htm

The results demonstrate a strong liberal bias. All news outlets examined, except for Fox News' Special Report and the Washington Times, received a score to the left of, or more liberal than, the estimated position of the average U.S. voter. The scores for CBS Evening News and the New York Times were among the most liberal, while outlets such as USA Today, NPR's Morning Edition, NBC's Nightly News and ABC's World News Tonight were moderately liberal. The most neutral outlets were the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, CNN's NewsNight with Aaron Brown and ABC's Good Morning America. Fox News' Special Report, while more conservative, was closer to the center than any of the three major networks' evening news broadcasts.