An Open Letter to the G8 Leaders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
July 02, 2005

An open letter to the G8 leaders

Tony Blair UK
George W. Bush US
Silvio Berlusconi Italy
Jacques Chirac France
Junichiro Koizumi Japan
Paul Martin Canada
Vladimir Putin Russia
Gerhard Schroder Germany

Hi guys.

Just so we’re clear . . .

The Live 8 concerts that are happening this weekend will be a wonderful musical occasion. But despite the fact that the world’s greatest popular musicians are playing — they are not the stars of the show. The 8 of Live 8 are not 8 musicians or bands — they are you, the 8 leaders of the G8.

Let this be absolutely clear before the first note is played. Everyone taking part in these concerts is there because the many generations watching will not tolerate the further pain of the poor while we have the financial and moral means to prevent it.

We are gathering for you the largest mandate for action in history. Just as people demanded an end to slavery, demanded women’s suffrage, demanded the end of apartheid — we now call for an end to the unjust absurdity of extreme poverty that is killing 50,000 people every day, in the 21st century, Live 8 is taking place so that you, our elected leaders, right now, in 2005, make the breakthrough demanded by, amongst others, the Commission for Africa, in the battle towards making poverty history. You know what needs to be done, specifically:

On Aid: Deliver an extra $25 billion aid for Africa and make plans to ensure this aid really will be effective at eradicating poverty. This must stand beside a further $25 billion for the other poorest countries of the world. This is the absolute minimum required to begin to win the battle against extreme poverty.

On Debt: Confirm the 100% debt cancellation from the G8 finance ministers meeting and commit to 100% debt cancellation for ALL the countries that need it and remove damaging economic policies that are imposed as a condition.

On Trade: Make decisive steps to end the unjust rules of trade, and allow poor countries to build their own economies, at their own pace. It is only through trade that Africa will eventually beat poverty on its own.

Let it be equally clear — That at the same time, African governments must be free from corruption and thuggery and put in place recognised practices of good governance, accountability and transparency towards their own people and to the world.

Twenty years ago at Live Aid we asked for charity. Today at Live 8 we want justice for the poor. The G8 meeting next week can take the first real step towards eradicating the extremes of poverty once and for all.

We will not applaud half-measures, or politics as usual. This must be a historic breakthrough.

Today there will be noise and music and joy, the joy of exuberant possibility. On Friday there will be a great silence as the world awaits your verdict.

Do not disappoint us. Do not create a generation of cynics. Do not betray the desires of billions and the hopes of the poorest of our world.

Are those 50,000 people each day to be allowed to live, or not?

Everyone at Live 8.

--------------------------------------------------

What a GREAT piece!

It's now up to each ONE of us to make the goal of the international white band movement - the end of extreme poverty in the world - a REALITY.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22209-1677197,00.html

Sorry, guys, I thought I had posted this in FYM. :ohmy:

Moderators, please move this thread to FYM - it belongs there.

I guess the excitement of the Live8 concerts has gotten to me!

LOVE AND PEACE. :wink:

I think it should be left here aswell as in the FYM forum - in fact put it in all the forums - its so important.

thanks, totty86, for your support.

I just didn't want anyone to think I was purposefully posting in a wrong forum.

LOVE AND PEACE....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila, I know it must be incredibly difficult for you but are you coming to Edinburgh this week?
And also - what do you do? Did you say you were involved in Bono's One campaign? Im sorry if you've told everyone already:reject:

Thank you, dear heart, for understanding my situation.

Right now, I am personally involved in my own "Long Walk to Justice" within certain circles.

I only wish that I had the money to have been in Edinburgh.

I wasn't fortunate enough to have gotten a free ride there.

That's OK, though, because God knows what's truly in each of our own Hearts and Souls and only God is the ultimate "Judge" of any of us.

Blessings. :angel:

Jamila said:
Thank you, dear heart, for understanding my situation.

Right now, I am personally involved in my own "Long Walk to Justice" within certain circles.

I only wish that I had the money to have been in Edinburgh.

I wasn't fortunate enough to have gotten a free ride there.

That's OK, though, because God knows what's truly in each of our own Hearts and Souls and only God is the ultimate "Judge" of any of us.

Blessings. :angel:

The last thing you said was beautiful:heart: I wish you every success in your endevours - it is a shame that you cannot join us in Edinburgh - but i will make a lot of noise on your behalf:yes:

Thanks for posting the note Jamila. I wasn't able to be in Edinburgh, either. I read where 200,000 participated in the march. They encircled the city. Huge white bands encircled monuments, St. Paul's Cathedral, a mosque in Indonesia, and other important buildings around the globe.

Thank you, my friend.

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences when it is all over.

PM me here and I'll give you my email to keep in touch.

Tell Bono if you see him I'm there in Spirit. :wink:

verte76 said:
Thanks for posting the note Jamila. I wasn't able to be in Edinburgh, either. I read where 200,000 participated in the march. They encircled the city. Huge white bands encircled monuments, St. Paul's Cathedral, a mosque in Indonesia, and other important buildings around the globe.

It did look incredible - i wasnt able to be there for that but i am going to Edinburgh for the march to mark the beginning of the G8 summit. If anybody is able to come to Edinburgh (i know its immensely difficult) i urge you to do so - we need all the help we can get.

I'll be in touch, my friend.

Take a lot of pics to share with those of us not able to be there.

And I do volunteer with ONE in my area.

WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER....:up:

To check up and see what the G8 leaders do with the promises that they have made Africa.

I hope that you are supporting the international whiteband movement, Cassis.

There are millions of desparately poor people whose lives and futures are hanging in the balance of what these eight men are going to do this week.

That's why it's important to monitor them by checking out

http://www.g8.gov.uk :yes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom