An Open Letter to John Ashcroft - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2002, 05:22 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

Yes, but isn't the other side of the issue that the electorate would rather elect a dead man than John Ashcroft? That's hardly a glowing reference now, is it?
The idea was that they voted for the dead man's widow, a woman who - debatably - exploited the death of her husband to gain sympathy and ensure her victory.

But why let facts get in the way of everyone's favorite hobby of crucifying Ashcroft? It hasn't stopped anyone before.

But while I have a moment, let's us now look at the facts:

Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn
Whether accurate or not, I sill love the message of the poem--breasts on a statue ... there are too many other things that our government should be worrying about. Hasn't this image of justice been around for hundreds of years.
JessicaAnn is right on two points:

1) The statue HAS been around for a really long time. In fact, most attorney generals have given press conferences in this same room, in front of the same statue.

And yet, I've never seen a picture Janet Reno in front of the "testimony to motherhood."

(I imagine if such a picture were taken, the juxtaposition alone would have made it memorable, and we would have all seen it thanks to this glorious World Wide Web.)

The fact is, a photographer has to go out of his way to frame the statue in the shot. The fact is, photographers HAVE BEEN GOING OUT OF THEIR WAY to ensure that Ashcroft's face was right in front of "that terrible ten foot tin tittie."

I've personally heard conflicting reports about who covered up the statue - be it Ashcroft or an aide making the decision on his own - but let's assume it was in fact Ashcroft. DO YOU BLAME HIM? After all, he's the Attorney General, not the host of "The Man Show," and I can understand an AG getting a little irritated about being mocked so thoroughly.

Does that mean, though, that he's some sort of pervert, sexually repressed and obsessed about the statue? No, it doesn't seem that way.

(It actually seems that the photographers, Claire Braz-Valentine, and those who post her "poem" are MUCH more obsessed.)

Does that mean that he's not doing his job as Attorney General? No; the facts show otherwise, that he's probably doing the best he can to prevent further acts of terror.

Does that mean that he's not doing his job in Afghanistan? Well, again, he's the Attorney General; HE'S NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS.

All this brings us to the second point that JessicaAnn nailed:

2) Many people are probably less concerned with reality than with satisfying their deluded images of Ashcroft and others: they love "the message," regardless of accuracy.

What I mean is this: this "poem" paints Ashcroft has a hypocritical, puritanical, sexually repressed "Christian conservative." REGARDLESS of whether the fact bear the opinion out (and they do not), some people here will still cling to the image and forward the poem to their friends.

And THAT is why my attempts to correct other members' skewed view of reality is so frustrating - and why I ultimately spend very little time here: many of you couldn't care less about things such as truth, facts, reality, and rational thought.

Old 06-12-2002, 05:25 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
i have no opinion on Mr. Ashcroft in terms of politics in either one direction or another. But this did make me laugh.
Me too.

Old 06-12-2002, 05:55 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba

(It actually seems that the photographers, Claire Braz-Valentine, and those who post her "poem" are MUCH more obsessed.)

yes, I'm certain that everyone who reads this thread will walk away with the feeling that joyfulgirl is obsessed with this statue
Old 06-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #19
Refugee

Why else would you post a poem about such "old news"?

At any rate, if suggesting that was a step too far, I apologize. I've said my peace about that silly little poem.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:08 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
Why else would you post a poem about such "old news"?

At any rate, if suggesting that was a step too far, I apologize. I've said my peace about that silly little poem.
I post many things obsession-free. I posted this because I found it mildly amusing, with some truth in it regarding what I feel is a waste of taxpayer money, and l correctly assumed that some other members of this forum might find it amusing as well, regardless of its timeliness. The poem was read publicly sometime this spring and just came to my attention today.

Apology accepted.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:28 PM   #21
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 05:08 AM

I guess now we're waiting for the latest.. 'Gore Had the Election Stolen' thread to come to light... My vote's on Dr. Gonzo for that one..

L.Unplugged