An Olympic Boycott: would it have any effect at all? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #61
War Child
 
butter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 785
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


If there are any Tibetans left.
In Tibet, 95% of the population are Tibetan, the rest 5% are Han, Hui (they are muslims), Menba (One male still allow have multi-wives as an exception of the Chinese marriage law).
__________________

__________________
butter7 is offline  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7
You are welcome.

I just hope I could provide a window about what the whole thing was going on among Chinese people, since most people here can't read Chinese, and only could get information from the local media.

The whole Tibet thing really should have be solved as soon as possible. For us who enjoys discussing on the internet forum, it's only a thread, but for the people who live there, it's their families and lives.
Yes,

I think the West likes to exploit this

Even the Dali Lama does not want a "Free Tibet"

Just some autonomy.

Which does not sound like much.

Except it could be a dangerous starting point for the Chinese government.


I believe there are other groups of people in other areas that would want the same thing? Is that true?
__________________

__________________
deep is online now  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #63
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7


English is the compulsory subject for Chinese kids since primary school. And even kindergarten would have some program of teaching kids some basic English. What's your point about this then?

Quote:
Chinese has replaced Tibetan as the official language.

http://www.freetibet.org/info/key_issues.html
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #64
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7


In Tibet, 95% of the population are Tibetan, the rest 5% are Han, Hui (they are muslims), Menba (One male still allow have multi-wives as an exception of the Chinese marriage law).

Quote:
long-term Chinese settlement in Tibet has been deliberately encouraged, with the result that Tibetans are in the minority in many areas. Independent research puts the number of Chinese in the TAR at 5 5.5 million versus 4.5 million Tibetans; in Kham and Amdo, Chinese outnumber Tibetans many times over. Chinese traders are favoured by lower tax assessments and the dominant position of Chinese in government administration.

http://www.freetibet.org/info/key_issues.html
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #65
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Even the Dali Lama does not want a "Free Tibet"

Just some autonomy.

You know this from your meetings with him?


What wrong with a little autonomy?

Why are you so hot to defend China?
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 10:40 AM
I just saw that

I wonder which number is more correct

I don't think the "Free Tibet" site is without bias


I will do some more checking when I have more time
__________________
deep is online now  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #67
War Child
 
butter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 785
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep


Yes,

I think the West likes to exploit this

Even the Dali Lama does not want a "Free Tibet"

Just some autonomy.

Which does not sound like much.

Except it could be a dangerous starting point for the Chinese government.


I believe there are other groups of people in other areas that would want the same thing? Is that true?
The problem about Dalai Lama's "autonomy" is that he want a "Great Tibet", which not only Tibet, but also include Sichuan Province (the largest populated province in China, over 1000 million people living in there), Gansu Province, where Han ethnic people and Hui ethinic people living as the majority. He also demand "remove all non-tibetan" from the region listed above.

These terms wouldn't even made him to the negotiation table.
__________________
butter7 is offline  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


You know this from your meetings with him?


What wrong with a little autonomy?

Why are you so hot to defend China?
I did actually hear him speak in 2004

very impressive !



but it was a recent "interview" that I heard him say that he did not want Tibet to break away, be independent from China

he said that "autonomy" was what he sought

so if you are making donations to "Free Tibet" it is not what he prefers
__________________
deep is online now  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #69
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 10:40 AM
I'm not donating to anyone.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7
The problem about Dalai Lama's "autonomy" is that he want a "Great Tibet", which not only Tibet, but also include Sichuan Province (the largest populated province in China, over 1000 million people living in there), Gansu Province, where Han ethnic people and Hui ethinic people living as the majority. He also demand "remove all non-tibetan" from the region listed above.

These terms wouldn't even made him to the negotiation table.
Thank you for giving us this information

I did not think is was as simple as many think it is.

Even thought it is fun to go to a "Free Tibet" rock concert

and buy a tee- shirt
__________________
deep is online now  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #71
War Child
 
butter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 785
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha



http://www.freetibet.org/info/key_issues.html
martha, if my memory serves me right, the freetibet people also claim that Tibetan kids can't access to any education at all.

I was a fan of this site when I first got to Australia, beccause I couldn't open it in China. lol

But the research result was quite disappointing.

Debate about who has the more correct answer wouldn't have any result, cos we are not the profesionals of statistics. But I strongly suggest you to go to Tibet and have a look yourself. Just avoid the current events and Olympic traffic.
__________________
butter7 is offline  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #72
War Child
 
butter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 785
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep


Thank you for giving us this information

I did not think is was as simple as many think it is.

Even thought it is fun to go to a "Free Tibet" rock concert

and buy a tee- shirt
LOL, I was the proud first uploader for spreading the U2 performance on the Free-Tibet concert over the Chinese fan forum.

People said it's ironic U2 sang "One" in that concert.
__________________
butter7 is offline  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #73
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7

Debate about who has the more correct answer wouldn't have any result, cos we are not the profesionals of statistics.
I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. Giving up because statistics vary is what governments want.


Quote:
Originally posted by butter7

But I strongly suggest you to go to Tibet and have a look yourself.
When I have the combination of money and time, I will.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7


LOL, I was the proud first uploader for spreading the U2 performance on the Free-Tibet concert over the Chinese fan forum.
I thought people went to jail for doing that.
__________________
deep is online now  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #75
War Child
 
butter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 785
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. Giving up because statistics vary is what governments want.

When I have the combination of money and time, I will.
Tibet is a pretty place, and a lot of peole are really addicted to it. Me too saving up for a Tibet tour.
__________________

__________________
butter7 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com