An Olympic Boycott: would it have any effect at all? - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #136
War Child

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoManiac

Tell me butter7, what do you know about June 4,1989? Was is it even mentioned in school at all?
Didn't I make it clear in the previous post? Until we overthrown the CCP government, we can't write history for the events that happened in the CCP period.

The June 4, 1989 is a popular topic to give a speech, for the social science professor who wanted attact more students to select his lecture. Similar topics also included discussions about the previous massive mistakes and failed policies that CCP made; international security and terrorism; anything about Iraq; the possitive outcome from 9-11; international politics and oil.

However, speeches and talkes is not the official history book. Unlike German students, like Vincent Vega mentioned, Chinese student spend very little time for WWII history in comparison. Both the WWII and the civial war history didn't extent more than five chapters, including the hisotory of the previous republic of China government and the CCP. In another hand, we got 6 whole-book of ancient history to chew down.

And for the modern Tibet history, the recommend reading is the book called: A History of Modern Tibet, 1913-1951 by Melvyn C. Goldstein, because we currently are not allowed to release any official version of the hisotry book for that period of time.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Your posts make a lot more sense now...
too bad

you did not understand

what she wrote

Old 04-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #138
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:16 AM
No, I understood, and it put a lot of her other comments on America in context...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #139
War Child

Quote:
On Sunday, April 13, 2008, Bush National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley talked about Nepal on A B C.

Did anyone here watch the entire interview on TV? Any clue about this?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #140
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Hadley had discussed the same issue (i.e. the Olympics, China, and Tibet) on FOX Network earlier the same morning, and didn't make the Tibet/Nepal mistake at that time. I think what happened was that the segment just before Hadley's on ABC featured an interview with Jimmy Carter, who was in Nepal monitoring the elections, and discussed Nepal with the ABC host (Stephanopoulos). As a result Hadley probably "had Nepal on the brain," as we say, when he went on-set, and thus proceeded to incorrectly say "Nepal" instead of "Tibet" five times. It's still pretty embarrassing that neither Hadley nor, apparently, Stephanopoulos ever caught the mistake, but I think crossed wires resulting from Carter's segment was the likely explanation.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #141
War Child

Thanks yolland for the info.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
No, I understood, and it put a lot of her other comments on America in context...
sorry

I thought the laughing icon meant you were dismissing her

my bad

I really appreciate Butter taking the time to converse with us

to give us a perspective of a person that was born in China and has lived there and experienced things from that side of the world.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #143
War Child

My pleasure, deep.

U2 fans are friend.

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The abolition of slavery, westward expansion, imperial ambition and civil rights and liberties being expanded to minorities seem like significant changes in social system.
Just like I said before, the American standard doesn't fit China, the Chinese standard won't fit America either.

The key fact is that in China when one dynastry replace another, the country's name would be changed. Think about it this way: One dog initially called "Tobby", went lost, got rescued, adopted by another person, a U2 fan, and the new owner decided to call it "Bono". The change of dynasty is actually the change of the ownership for the piece of land that we called China nowadays. But the change of the American government isn't the change of ownership of the piece of land, is it? However, the American Indian part is.